• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chedomani

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've literally looked everywhere I could for slim fit chinos/khakis, but to no avail. So, I decided to buy a pair of simple docker's classic fit that aren't too bad and try to have them altered to a slim fit. To be honest, I've never really altered pants too much, so I'm not sure what to ask to make it a slim fit. What should I be asking the tailor in particular?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Basically tell them you want the inseam and outseam taken in. Have him, or her pin them basically from about the crotch and right under the side pockets straight down, or tapered slightly. You have to be careful though, if they are taken in too much this way the ass and crotch get really tight. When you take in those seams it alters the seat of the pants and makes the crotch taught. If done too severely it will be restricting when you walk, like you wont be able to take as long of strides and you can have an ass/crotch blowout easily. If you don't care and just want them slim, just be careful that is what I do.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just go to J. Crew and buy classic fit chinos. They're slim enough for anyone.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you're doing the alterations yourself?

If so, the legs are fairly easy. Just be very careful on the top block, as small changes anywhere in the top block can totally throw off the fit.

hustlenflo22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chedomani
Hey guys, I've literally looked everywhere I could for slim fit chinos/khakis, but to no avail. So, I decided to buy a pair of simple docker's classic fit that aren't too bad and try to have them altered to a slim fit. To be honest, I've never really altered pants too much, so I'm not sure what to ask to make it a slim fit. What should I be asking the tailor in particular?
He's having it done for him

MC84

Reaction score
I wanna get something similar done to a few of my jeans. Really, all i want to do is alter the lower leg part of the jeans from say a straight to a slim so they aren't so baggy down there. Is this possible?? If so, can it be done at home or will i need to take it to a tailor??

dnarnya

Reaction score
i've had chinos and jeans tapered. just go in and be like, "i want this tapered." If you don't know where you want them to start, as in from the knee down or from your thighs down, then you will have to try them on and they will pin them for you so you can see how much you want them taken in.

From my experience, I had to take in from the thigh down on chinos, but on a pair of nudie slim jims, I had them taper from the knee down because the rest of the jeans fit well.

Oh, I always have a specific measurement for the hems that I want and make them use that.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
Just go to J. Crew and buy classic fit chinos. They're slim enough for anyone.
The J.Crew is quite slim and look good. My guess is that this would also be cheaper than going through the trouble of getting pants altered to be slim.

tommib

Reaction score
Depends how skinny you are but you might ask for the fork to be taken in to make them tighter around your backside.

I had a pair of smart trousers slimmed down, they look amazing but two things I would do slightly differently:

Make sure the outseam is taken in from around the thigh, but not up to the pocket, otherwise the opening to the pockets are a bit tight any annoying.

Don't have them too slim around the knee, otherwise they'll go a bit a bit taught when you're walking or sitting down.

Tom.

harlemriver

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've literally looked everywhere I could for slim fit chinos/khakis, but to no avail. So, I decided to buy a pair of simple docker's classic fit that aren't too bad and try to have them altered to a slim fit. To be honest, I've never really altered pants too much, so I'm not sure what to ask to make it a slim fit. What should I be asking the tailor in particular?

Not too revive the dead, but it isn't amazing how menswear in America progressed by leaps and bounds since 2008. I bet you can definitely find those slim fit chinos now.

Chef Rude

Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but J. Crew's 484 cut is perfectly slim without being hipster skinny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads