• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tackiness expands its domains.

v0rtex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
What exactly is so special about the architecture of that house? It looks like one of those little offices you see right next to the strip mall.
All of those little offices are based on the design philosophies laid down by the modernist movement in the post-war decades, which in their day were quite ground breaking. This house is a first-generation example of that style by one of it's original innovators, so it's got historical and cultural value. Just like how you can buy a Photoshopped pop-art print of your own face at the flea market for $10, but it isn't ever going to be equivalent to a $5m Warhol. I really like modernist architecture, the structures are designed for living in rather than showing off to the neighbours - although a lot of the buildings can look like fortresses from the outside, inside they feel spacious and airy thanks to all the glass and clever use of materials. Unfortunately efficient spaces designed on a human scale are rather untrendy in the US at the moment (and why not - energy, drywall and subprime jumbo mortgages are so cheap...) Wonder if the seller would be willing to sell the structure to be moved elsewhere so she can build her huge, ugly McMansion? Or even if a structure with so much glass could be moved intact?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v0rtex
All of those little offices are based on the design philosophies laid down by the modernist movement in the post-war decades, which in their day were quite ground breaking. This house is a first-generation example of that style by one of it's original innovators, so it's got historical and cultural value. Just like how you can buy a Photoshopped pop-art print of your own face at the flea market for $10, but it isn't ever going to be equivalent to a $5m Warhol. I really like modernist architecture, the structures are designed for living in rather than showing off to the neighbours[\\b] - although a lot of the buildings can look like fortresses from the outside, inside they feel spacious and airy thanks to all the glass and clever use of materials. Unfortunately efficient spaces designed on a human scale are rather untrendy in the US at the moment (and why not - energy, drywall and subprime jumbo mortgages are so cheap...) Wonder if the seller would be willing to sell the structure to be moved elsewhere so she can build her huge, ugly McMansion? Or even if a structure with so much glass could be moved intact?
I think in a different way a lot of modern houses try to SHOW OFF too, and many do not look livable. A house made of glass on virtually all 4 walls looks cool in the mags, but I don`t think they are really livable. When the balance is right, and not just meant for showing off, they look really nice though. Oh and yes, the furniture in the OP is terrible.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I think in a different way a lot of modern houses try to SHOW OFF too, and many do not look livable. A house made of glass on virtually all 4 walls looks cool in the mags, but I don`t think they are really livable. When the balance is right, and not just meant for showing off, they look really nice though. Oh and yes, the furniture in the OP is terrible.
I don't understand this. I couldn't live in this. But I do respect it and like it very, very much.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I don't understand this. I couldn't live in this. But I do respect it and like it very, very much.

It would probably be livable if the glass was double/triple paned (insulation), could have blinds drawn across all of it (block out the sun for sleeping in), and/or was on a huge plot of land with good vegetation screening (privacy).

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid
It would probably be livable if the glass was double/triple paned (insulation), could have blinds drawn across all of it (block out the sun for sleeping in), and/or was on a huge plot of land with good vegetation screening (privacy).
I love that building, but I would need all of those if I were to live in it.

bkk

Reaction score
I thought the entire fireplace area was the worst offender of the interior. TV should be hung on the wall and have a center in line with the fireplace. Even if you have it sitting on the fireplace, center it. The cable box and things that look like frogs were just thrown up there for convenience.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was someone, and I can't recall the name, who built a glass structure around an already existing house. That was pretty cool. On second thought, it may have only been a structure, with curtains.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid

OR they could install those electronic "smart" glass where they can change the transparency at the press of a button. Now that would be bloody awesome.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the exterior less offensive than the mish mash of furniture.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
OR they could install those electronic "smart" glass where they can change the transparency at the press of a button. Now that would be bloody awesome.

With something like that, living in an abode of glass would be most excellent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads