• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suitcase VS Duffle

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been travelling my whole life with roll on suitcases luggage in all shapes, sizes, and brands.

I recently received a Filson 256 and I fell in love with it and I really wouldn't mind getting a Filson duffle... but do I need it? Why do some people prefer to travel with duffle bags when you can just roll a suitcase around?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Me....
Suitcase for trips longer than 2 days...
Duffle...ovenight/weekend trips.
(for the most part)...

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Both, if you need that much space - I use a hardshell roller suitcase (Muji in ballstic nylon) for checking in, and then carry a duffle for my carry-on, to keep the expensive jawns in. Been using a Givenchy duffle but it's not as comfortable as I'd like it to be, so I might switch for a Visvim backpack eventually, depends on where I'm going I guess. You can put your small bag on top (like stewardesses and pilots do I guess) and wrap it around the handle, and it makes walking with your bags fairly pleasant:

268683_10100278596282770_15904009_51751881_579111_n.jpg

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1 on duffle for shorter trips (weekend), roll on for longer. I can pack for a week in a 20" roll on suitcase and used it as a carry on.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting topic to me. I used to travel regularly for work which required a standard suitcase. It was the most practical way for me to take suits and shirts and have everything arrive looking its best. But, when I traveled for pleasure, there was something relaxing and mood altering about taking a duffle. It was as though I had a whole different attitude. A duffle also seems to develop visions of adventure and exploration. (I mean would Indiana Jones use a roll-on?) Packing my duffle also caused me to edit what I packed, reflecting a more casual trip and not defaulting to the things I would take on a business trip.

So, yes...get a duffle. Throw it in the car or carry it on the plane and let the adventures begin :)

Below is my 1980's vintage LL Bean duffle. It has been to the fjords of Norway, camping by boat in the San Juans, bus trips through Mexico and never once carried a pair of Lobbs or a necktie.

llbeanbag.jpg

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer to think of it this way: I'll take a rolling suitcase when I'm traveling via plane, and a duffle any other time. I just got a Filson duffle (222) this week and I have a couple road trips for which it will come in handy soon.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1 on duffle for shorter trips (weekend), roll on for longer. I can pack for a week in a 20" roll on suitcase and used it as a carry on.
Same here. I have an 18" roller suitcase that I use for week-long trips, and it can fit under a seat. Duffle for shorter trips, even by plane.

Last edited:

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score

This is an interesting topic to me. I used to travel regularly for work which required a standard suitcase. It was the most practical way for me to take suits and shirts and have everything arrive looking its best. But, when I traveled for pleasure, there was something relaxing and mood altering about taking a duffle. It was as though I had a whole different attitude. A duffle also seems to develop visions of adventure and exploration. (I mean would Indiana Jones use a roll-on?) Packing my duffle also caused me to edit what I packed, reflecting a more casual trip and not defaulting to the things I would take on a business trip.

So, yes...get a duffle. Throw it in the car or carry it on the plane and let the adventures begin :)

Below is my 1980's vintage LL Bean duffle. It has been to the fjords of Norway, camping by boat in the San Juans, bus trips through Mexico and never once carried a pair of Lobbs or a necktie.

Couldn't have put it better.

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A rolling suitcase is fine if you are going directly from the airport to your hotel and are getting ferried around from place to place. It's a pain if your travel is any rougher than that (e.g., trekking, camping, travel on public buses). I recently purchased an Osprey Porter 46 Travel Duffle for the times I may be roughing it a bit. It's airline overhead carry-on complaint and has stowable backpack straps:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I actually really hate the idea of overstuffed, rolling carry-ons, because they absolutely **** up air travel nowadays - everybody gets by with a little more, and everybody has 3 ******* carryons now to begin with, so 20" roller, a 'laptop bag' which is always an overstuffed briefcase, and a purse/manpurse/backpack.... those bins were meant to hold that 20" roller for each person, and not much more.

Flying one of those tiny commuter Embraers recently, I was pretty delighted to see everyone with a roller carry-on have to forfeit it right as they got on the plane into a huge pile of things they were putting under the plane.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

... I was pretty delighted to see everyone with a roller carry-on have to forfeit it right as they got on the plane into a huge pile of things they were putting under the plane.
This is why I'm reluctant to take my 18" roller nowadays. Even though it fits under the seat and in all overhead bins, more times than a few I've been forced to gate check. :(

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For the better good though, man, definitely more so than anything else that's been rearranged with air travel in the past 5-10 years. I learned last month, on the little jaunts across America, like O'Hare to LGA or O'Hare to LAX, you can use those e-ticket machines and if you're lucky and flying at the right time of day, you end up with offers like: $25 to check-in a bag, and $60 to check two, $10 more to prioritize your security line/baggage/boarding, or pay $90 and sit in first class and get 3 free checked bags, some booze, and a sandwich. No brainer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads