• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit For Prom - Advice Needed - [PICS INSIDE]

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Remember to wear the shoes when getting your pants hemmed. Good steal on the PAs, I assume you know what you're doing and know sizing? Also, hopefully you took a good look at the sole and didnt buy a pair that was worn more than ~5-10 times.

BuffaloWang

Reaction score

Remember to wear the shoes when getting your pants hemmed. Good steal on the PAs, I assume you know what you're doing and know sizing? Also, hopefully you took a good look at the sole and didnt buy a pair that was worn more than ~5-10 times.

Thanks! Yep, waiting for the shoes to come in and will then go get alternations done.
http://goo.gl/r1DrD They look to be in good condition, and at the price I don't mind at all.

I didn't have a local retailer near me, so I used AE's online sizing chart/guide to find out my size. Hopefully these will work out.

duggyald

Reaction score
If she wants you to wear a black shirt then let her go to the prom alone.
smile.gif

Harsh..but I agree.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been following this one with interest for a couple of days, now.

Buffalo, if you are, in deference to your girlfriend, insistent on wearing the black shirt, I would suggest you get a black necktie for a sort of monochromatic "hipster" look. (I know you just got a bowtie and square. I just hope neither is teal.)

With the black suit, black shirt and black necktie (+your black PAs) you will obviously not have a "proper" tux; you will not have a "faux" tux; your look will not even be "sub-tux," BUT, y'know what, you will be at least as well turned out as a great many of the "celebs" at the sundry awards shows.

Most important, have fun!

Last edited:

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
And as long as you're going to be breaking more rules than I can count....

Return the black tie and get a black ascot. Wear it under the shirt.

BuffaloWang

Reaction score

I have been following this one with interest for a couple of days, now.
Buffalo, if you are, in deference to your girlfriend, insistent on wearing the black shirt, I would suggest you get a black necktie for a sort of monochromatic "hipster" look. (I know you just got a bowtie and square. I just hope neither is teal.)
With the black suit, black shirt and black necktie (+your black PAs) you will obviously not have a "proper" tux; you will not have a "faux" tux; your look will not even be "sub-tux," BUT, y'know what, you will be at least as well turned out as a great many of the "celebs" at the sundry awards shows.
Most important, have fun!

Well I ordered a teal bowtie and a white pocket square. Also getting a black bowtie for my prom.
Thanks for the advice, it is a decent alternative, but still have to find a way to make the teal bowtie work. She didn't want to match with either the square or the boutonniere.

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well I ordered a teal bowtie and a white pocket square. Also getting a black bowtie for my prom.
Thanks for the advice, it is a decent alternative, but still have to find a way to make the teal bowtie work. She didn't want to match with either the square or the boutonniere.
I don't mean to offend you, but your girlfriend has about as much business giving men fashion advice as Ronald McDonald.

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this the troll thread?

This guy cannot be serious. He HAS to be going out of his way to look terrible.

dredwings19

Reaction score
Buffalowang- Just get some sleeker black shoes, tailor the suit "get sleeves shortened and pants hemmed". Then wear whatever your girlfriend wants you to wear for a shirt. If you wanna get laid that's what you'll do. If you don't then listen to people here and go for the white shirt. IMO either way is fine.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you dictate the attributes of her gown? Take it from an old man, she's got you totally ***** whipped already. To use an overworked expression, man up and show her you've got a pair!

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
When my (now ex-) girlfriend threw up a fuss because she wanted me to match her with my vest and tie and I flatly refused, we settled on my wearing a boutonniere that matched her dress. You could try that, I suppose.

brodygee

Reaction score
i've got a similar situation. my date wants me to wear a pink tie. i can't think of any combination that would look good with a pink tie. if you guy can please post (i don't have a suit, shirt, shoes etc yet so anything you suggest i can buy- colour-wise).

if not, i'm looking at a navy suit, white shirt and navy tie either textured or small dots, then a pink boutonniere.

i'm more than willing to let stylforum.net dress me

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks! Yep, waiting for the shoes to come in and will then go get alternations done.
http://goo.gl/r1DrD They look to be in good condition, and at the price I don't mind at all.
I didn't have a local retailer near me, so I used AE's online sizing chart/guide to find out my size. Hopefully these will work out.

good reminder as to how ugly park aves are

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i've got a similar situation. my date wants me to wear a pink tie. i can't think of any combination that would look good with a pink tie. if you guy can please post (i don't have a suit, shirt, shoes etc yet so anything you suggest i can buy- colour-wise).

if not, i'm looking at a navy suit, white shirt and navy tie either textured or small dots, then a pink boutonniere.

i'm more than willing to let stylforum.net dress me

You can take a look at "in stitches" outfit as of yesterday: http://www.styleforum.net/t/234255/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iii/41340#post_5969598 or wear a pink shirt and a navy tie.

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
Exchanged suit for a size up since it was on the way. Will post photos after alternations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads