1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for pocket square with this tie.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jfdelman, Aug 22, 2012.

1. AeroCarl

AeroCarl Member

I think that looks a lot better. Practice tying that tie knot - the knot itself should be a nice upside-down triangle and the length of tie extending downwards should have a dimple where it meets the knot. Like this http://www.bows-n-ties.com/cherryred-striped-necktie-p-13858.html?r=o

Also, assuming that's a two-button suit jacket, keep the top button buttoned unless you're sitting down. This will show off the suits silhouette.

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Definitely much better. Just a little boring is all. I'd go a little bit lighter on the shirt and use a different knot on the tie. Maybe a four in hand. You might then experiment with a burgundy pocket square with some navy highlights or something similar.

3. jfdelman

jfdelman Member

4. Caustic Man

I'd pass on that one. I'm not too big on solid pocket squares unless they are white. Not everyone agrees with this, but it's just a personal thing. I'd go with something like this...

[​IMG]

It's a bit match for me personally, but I'd hesitate to go with anything too contrasting in this situation simply because all eyes would be drawn to the square and nothing else.

ETA: Link for the square, in case you want it.

http://www.thetiebar.com/tie-bar-pr...uares.asp&pg=0&categoryIds=29&optionValueIds=

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  5. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Well-Known Member

Hey man - I liked the original tie, actually. Looks like you have a good suit. Why not wear the tie with a plain white linen square? It's the safest bet AND the classiest bet and man, it would look good. Just my opinion. Anyway the outfit is lookin' good.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  6. Caustic Man

The more I'm thinking about it the more I agree with Chan about the pocket square. Your ensemble is simple, so the square ought to be simple as well. However I think you made the right choice ditching the shirt and tie.

7. jfdelman

jfdelman Member

First i want to thank all of you for all the advice you have given me, i appreciate it. My wedding is in one week and I'm still making a few changes. Let me know how you guys feel about these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Caustic Man

I'm really liking that bow tie. Bonus points if you tied it yourself. A white square with that combo and I think you'd be doing rather well for yourself.

9. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

The jacket is too tight, and its buttoning point might be too high.