• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sturdy sneakers. Is there such a thing?

the_sulks

Reaction score
Hi,

Have you ever had a sturdy sneakers? I have a pair of Converse. They look cool yet they are bad in terms of quality. A couple of months of wearing ruins them all as opposed to leather shoes that can be worn much too longer. It is my first sneakers so I was suprised how slimsy they are.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New Balance
Nike
Etc.

The list goes on and on.

I have sneakers that are 10 years old that look new.

What type of Converse did you have?

Last edited:

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been wearing a pair of GATs most days for the past year and it's holding up ok. Last pair of sneakers that disintegrated were a pair of Adidas Samba - I remember the whole sole of one foot completely came away whilst I was travelling in Tokyo. I had to get a pair of pricey somehow limited edition New Balances from the only store left open in the evening.

Snoopy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard they gave the old Converse a face lift. Now they sport padding in the inside.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New Balance
Nike
Etc.

+1 on New Balance. I own 2 pairs of NB 574's and not once did I ever experience toe blowout, threads coming apart at the seams or any other outwardly signs of wear and tear. The only wear my NB's have sustained is in the soles. If NB offered a sole recrafting service i'd send in my shoes and they'd be like new again. NB are built like tanks and last forever

Last edited:

the_sulks

Reaction score

Hi,

Have you ever had a sturdy sneakers? I have a pair of Converse. They look cool yet they are bad in terms of quality. A couple of months of wearing ruins them all as opposed to leather shoes that can be worn much too longer. It is my first sneakers so I was suprised how slimsy they are.

I assume we are talking about different kind of sneakers. I have these ones. NB or adidas don't have such a type:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you wear All Stars every day, they will wear down/out.

the_sulks

Reaction score

If you wear All Stars every day, they will wear down/out.

I only gave them a light wear for about three months. It means I wore them a couple of days a week. No exercising in them, no soccer, no gym, no running, no nothing. I didn't wear them in rain. So, Converse sneakers are just one flimsy piece of garbage.

1. The inside part where the heel is is ruined. I tried to fix it with some cloth patch and glue.

2. Crack on the side of the left top. I gues it can't be fixed. Glue won't stick it for long.

3. A narrow crack on the back of the sole.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Listen....All Stars are not rugged long lasting kicks.
I have had many throughout my lifetime. They do wear down. Luckily, they are inexpensive and I have many other sneakers that I can wear.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I only gave them a light wear for about three months. It means I wore them a couple of days a week. No exercising in them, no soccer, no gym, no running, no nothing. I didn't wear them in rain. So, Converse sneakers are just one flimsy piece of garbage.

1. The inside part where the heel is is ruined. I tried to fix it with some cloth patch and glue.

2. Crack on the side of the left top. I gues it can't be fixed. Glue won't stick it for long.

3. A narrow crack on the back of the sole.

Chucks will get beat. You'll have to embrace that. They are not meant to last forever, nor even look pristine after extended use, which your soles show.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get the black on black(soles) ones. Not that easy to tell when they start to get beat up.
I have a pair that are probably 7+ years old. Look new.
But I wear them maybe 3-5 times a year.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads