• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stingray footwear

Xenon

Reaction score
Calling all stingray footwear owners.

I really love the look of stingray and planned to have a pair of boots or shoes made sometime in the future, but last week Spoo's posting of a G&G stingray wholecut got under my skin and now I want a pair ASAP.

I did a little research and it appears unanimous that stingray is one of the most robust and long lived skins despite its delicate appearance and absolute awesomeness.

My question: Any reason why I shouldn't use this type of leather for a foul weather (snow, slush, rain) boot? Can anyone who owns stingray footwear comment on its durability and ease of maintenance please.

This is a boot that I will wear all winter and it will be exposed to all the typical harsh elements like road salts, gravel, sand and other de- icing compounds. I actually plan to make the pattern, cut and close the upper myself and send it off to be finished by someone experienced in such (hand carved holdfast , hand welted, etc.).

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Calling all stingray footwear owners.
I really love the look of stingray and planned to have a pair of boots or shoes made sometime in the future, but last week Spoo's posting of a G&G stingray wholecut got under my skin and now I want a pair ASAP.
I did a little research and it appears unanimous that stingray is one of the most robust and long lived skins despite its delicate appearance and absolute awesomeness.
My question: Any reason why I shouldn't use this type of leather for a foul weather (snow, slush, rain) boot? Can anyone who owns stingray footwear comment on its durability and ease of maintenance please.
This is a boot that I will wear all winter and it will be exposed to all the typical harsh elements like road salts, gravel, sand and other de- icing compounds. I actually plan to make the pattern, cut and close the upper myself and send it off to be finished by someone experienced in such (hand carved holdfast , hand welted, etc.).

All the stingray I've seen (and the last time I had any was 10 years ago) was pretty porous. The ivory beads seem to be mounted on a very fibrous mesh. It is not dense like regular leather.

the upshot is that I would be very worried about water and road salts, etc., just migrating like crazy into the lining and interior of the shoe.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe if I can lay off other purchases for a few months I will reward myself...maybe stingray is rare enough that there is no definitive answer to this question but - is it considered casual or formal? It seems like other exotics are often made into loafers and I consider them very casual - like I expect to see them on some dude lazing around in Florida. But that stingray in black on the very elegant last...this seems to me like a stunning formal evening shoe. Is that crazy? In what settings would the wearing of these shoes be indicated and counter-indicated?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe if I can lay off other purchases for a few months I will reward myself...maybe stingray is rare enough that there is no definitive answer to this question but - is it considered casual or formal? It seems like other exotics are often made into loafers and I consider them very casual - like I expect to see them on some dude lazing around in Florida. But that stingray in black on the very elegant last...this seems to me like a stunning formal evening shoe. Is that crazy? In what settings would the wearing of these shoes be indicated and counter-indicated?

I tend to agree with you. I can only imagine wearing stingray (shagreen) shoes at night. Unless of course there is a way to soften the sheen effectively. I'm thinking cocktail parties that are just short of 'semi formal' would be great, as would gallery openings, symphony and opera performances (if you dont' do the tux), and then of course, uber upscale nightclubs and sex establishments on the other side of the spectrum.

I'll just say this much to one and all..... PLEASE order them without the 'pearl' prominently highlighted and displayed on the toe. There are too many cheapish stingray products coming out of Southeast Asia with the contrasting pearl on them. I really think it cheapens the effect of the hide.

Xenon

Reaction score

All the stingray I've seen (and the last time I had any was 10 years ago) was pretty porous. The ivory beads seem to be mounted on a very fibrous mesh. It is not dense like regular leather.
the upshot is that I would be very worried about water and road salts, etc., just migrating like crazy into the lining and interior of the shoe.

Damn! I'm really disappointed to hear that. Stingray boots would have looked awesome with a cashmere overcoat.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I tend to agree with you. I can only imagine wearing stingray (shagreen) shoes at night. Unless of course there is a way to soften the sheen effectively. I'm thinking cocktail parties that are just short of 'semi formal' would be great, as would gallery openings, symphony and opera performances (if you dont' do the tux), and then of course, uber upscale nightclubs and sex establishments on the other side of the spectrum.
I'll just say this much to one and all..... PLEASE order them without the 'pearl' prominently highlighted and displayed on the toe. There are too many cheapish stingray products coming out of Southeast Asia with the contrasting pearl on them. I really think it cheapens the effect of the hide.

Is this what people mean by the pearl? If so, yes, looks horrid IMHO

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - that is 'the pearl'. And an especially large one at that.

They have their place - but if used too boldly they simply look like a 'label' to me. Sort of like 'Look at me! I'm made of stingray!' Not my cup of tea.

Xenon

Reaction score

. There are too many cheapish stingray products coming out of Southeast Asia with the contrasting pearl on them. I really think it cheapens the effect of the hide.

I totally agree.

I ordered some skins that have no pearl at all and othesr that are large enough so that the pearl can be located in waste material.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I totally agree.
I ordered some skins that have no pearl at all and othesr that are large enough so that the pearl can be located in waste material.

There was a bespoke pair posted in one of the shoe threads that had the pearls on the top of the tongue. Still there, but in a more discrete location that doesn't scream "hey, this is expensive motha!". It looked classy, and while I'm unlikely to ever buy a pair of stingray shoes, that's the way I would be inclined to go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads