• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[SOON , A TITLE HERE ]

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Almost looks like two separate pictures there
I looked upon the scene before me --upon the mere house, and the simple landscape features of the domain --upon the bleak walls --upon the vacant eye-like windows --upon a few rank sedges --and upon a few white trunks of decayed trees --with an utter depression of soul which I can compare to no earthly sensation more properly than to the after-dream of the reveller upon opium --the bitter lapse into everyday life --the hideous dropping off of the veil. There was an iciness, a sinking, a sickening of the heart --an unredeemed dreariness of thought which no goading of the imagination could torture into aught of the sublime.

?

Spot on; it also always makes me think of lovecraft (surprise, surprise).

Did you know that Baudelaire had an obsession with Poe, and translated quite a number of his short stories? I've never actually read any, but I always found that fascinating. I would love to see how he approached them. I've done quite a bit of translation, mostly focusing on Baudelaire, but I think it's an absolutely fascinating subject that no one really gives any thought to outside of, and even including much of, academia.

Additionally, the HPL story "Hypnos" is purportedly based on Baudelaire, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited:

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He lives on in all of us.

Those two things, I do not like them. Add to the incriminating list.

Almost looks like two separate pictures there
I looked upon the scene before me --upon the mere house, and the simple landscape features of the domain --upon the bleak walls --upon the vacant eye-like windows --upon a few rank sedges --and upon a few white trunks of decayed trees --with an utter depression of soul which I can compare to no earthly sensation more properly than to the after-dream of the reveller upon opium --the bitter lapse into everyday life --the hideous dropping off of the veil. There was an iciness, a sinking, a sickening of the heart --an unredeemed dreariness of thought which no goading of the imagination could torture into aught of the sublime.

?

Spot on; it also always makes me think of lovecraft (surprise, surprise).

Did you know that Baudelaire had an obsession with Poe, and translated quite a number of his short stories? I've never actually read any, but I always found that fascinating. I would love to see how he approached them. I've done quite a bit of translation, mostly focusing on Baudelaire, but I think it's an absolutely fascinating subject that no one really gives any thought to outside of, and even including much of, academia.

Additionally, the HPL story "Hypnos" is purportedly based on Baudelaire, for whatever that's worth.

It's all connected, isn't it ?

I didn't know about the translations, it's intriguing. A quick googleing revealed this , might be an interesting read

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Those two things, I do not like them. Add to the incriminating list.

i poasted those here specifically for you, closeups and all. i had pics of the fellow from the house at the end of the street in santa agatha, he works now in centreville, wears a bright colored tie and outrageous shirt pattern but matches it all very well, i wish i could invite him to sf. also had pics of maison antoine, but neither of those would be as good with macro photo settings...

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I walked by Maison Antoine a few hours ago, had to resist with all my might.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
^ #SFatProblems :embar:

------------------------------------------------
This is insanity, Max
Or maybe it's genious​

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

t/image/id/969842/width/350/height/239[/IMG][/URL]
Vincent Van Gogh
I know this painting is overexposed, but I don't care. I've always liked the story behind it. If I remember right, Van Gogh painted it while convalescing (if you want to call it that) at the asylum in St Rémy, near Arles. The period was productive for him, and he painted about 150 pieces. He liked to work outside, in view of the landscapes he was painting. But after a particularly bad bout of depression, he was confined to the asylum. He painted Starry Night during this confinement, doing it from memory and from his imagination.

". . . Vincent Van Gogh, who carried his severed ear to the place that most offends polite society. It is admirable that in this way he both manifested a love that refused to take anything into account and in a way spat in the faces of all those who have accepted the elevated and official idea of life that is so well known. Perhaps the practice of sacrifice has disappeared from the earth because it was not able to be sufficiently charged with this element of hate and disgust, without which it appears in our eyes as servitude. The monstrous ear sent in its envelope, however, abruptly leaves the magic circle where the rites of liberation stupidly aborted. It leaves along with the tongue of Anaxarchus of Abdera, bit off and spat bloody in the face of the tyrant Nicocreon, and with the tongue of [Z]eno of Elea spat in the face of Demylos . . . both of these philosophers having been subjected to atrocious tortures, the first crushed while still alive in a mortar."

Rompson

Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

The Cantigas de Santa Maria (CSM), composed at the Court of King Alfonso X of Castile in the second half of the 13th century, are a vast repertory of poetry in medieval Galician. The 420 compositions include 353 narratives of miracles of the Blessed Virgin Mary - one of the largest such collections - as well as a large number of devotional and liturgical poems, almost all set to music, and many illustrated by miniatures divided into smaller panels. The CSM are thus more than a body of literature or a miracle collection, they are a cultural project of great importance for medieval literature, music, and art, and for the history of patronage.

djg7Ml.jpg
vxwl8.jpg
ReWpq.jpg

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
even the packaging ...
NnmOa.jpg

---------------------------------------

for sipang: yet another one to add to your list
5q20T.jpg

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Did you know that Baudelaire had an obsession with Poe, and translated quite a number of his short stories?... I've done quite a bit of translation, mostly focusing on Baudelaire, but I think it's an absolutely fascinating subject that no one really gives any thought to outside of, and even including much of, academia.

Yeah...we can thank the French for Poe, Faulkner, and a few other American classsics that almost weren't -- IMO always the coolest thinkers and prose stylists, but ones who just didn't fit into the ideal -- almost official -- image they were trying to project with our canon, always moving away from the pre-Freudian weirdness of CB Brown and toward the drab religious stuff they've come to force upon every tenth grader. It's really kind of a shame.

But...i'm not sure the French influence is neglected?

--------
Post-Xmas poasts will likely include: Chris Ware; Lucretius/David Berman death-meditation mash-ups. Prepare!

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, but "translation" is largely ignored, even through undergraduate.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, I see... Yeah, that's a tough one. If you ever produce a mock-up syllabus, you shoul post it here. :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads