• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solo Traveler to London/Paris looking for recommendations

Earthmover

Reaction score
So I will be traveling to London, Paris and San Francisco, each for about 5 days each, meeting up with random friends and such. However, for good chunks of time, I'm going to do things on my own, mostly "touristy" things like go to museums, random sights and sartorial destinations (including a day trip to Northhampton before the Arsenal match on March 1; nothing goes together like Lobbs and hooliganism). I also wanted to get a few recommendations on things I can do like take a nice afternoon or high tea whilst in London, good baguette/chocolate chaud/cafe to hang out in while in Paris and such. In particular, I was wondering if anyone had any shining recommendations for places that will be good to go solo, that is, they won't be actively unfriendly (while I understand that I can go wherever I'd like, it's a vacation and I'm not trying to fight any causes, I just want to have a good time) for the following:

1. Afternoon/cream/high tea in London -- not too crowded and not astronomically priced.
2. Good boulangerie/bar/cafe/restaurants (great Parisian restaurants that are friendly to solo dining is welcome) in Paris (preferably near the 6th arr., where I'm staying).
3. Good solid restaurant (taste is about 99% of what matters to me) in Napa that will not mind casual attire (will be biking there) and welcome solo travelers.

Mostly, what I don't want is to go someplace crowded where I'll be taking up a spot for two, which usually leads to relatively worse service; again, I want to enjoy the experiences and I'm not trying to prove a point, so any place that's friendly and pleasant will do.

Thanks everyone!

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I can understand your interest in tea in London, I find 30+ pounds for tea, cake and sandwiches a bit excessive. I take my Mom if she is in town, but by myself, I would be more inclined to plop 30 quid down in the pub and have a few pints and a steak pie or fish and chips.

If you want to though, Claridges is nice as is The Ritz. Book the Ritz well in advance or slip the concierge at your hotel some flow (thus upping your spend on tea to 40+ pounds).

K

ed1234

Reaction score
The Landmark is my favourite place for tea - it's up in Marylebone which is, to my taste, a nicer place than Picadilly for general ambling around.

The Ritz is a tourist trap and extremely overpriced, though everyone should do it once (preferably if someone else is paying).

Dorchester is also good, and if you're a foodie then Fortnum and Mason's tea room is good (and you can then load up on overpriced luxury food in the store too).

Earthmover

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses -- I think I'll check out the Landmark first, and if I have other free days, Claridges and a few others. I understand what you're saying, VKK, and I certainly will be doing a lot of pints/pies thing at pubs as well; I thought it would be a nice change, after, say, I hit up the Tate Modern. I'm pretty pumped up about the trip generally.

Earthmover

Reaction score
I'll be in Paris from March 4 to 9th. (and London from 2/28 to 3/4 and SF from 3/10 to 3/15) I have a few recommendations so I think I can manage, but if anyone has places that elicit "this is a totally awesome place you should check out" in Paris, that would be very nice.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Paris) You should try to pick up some awesome croissants (in the morning) and macaroons (any time) from Peire Herme. There are several other world-class pasticeries in the neighborhood also: Jean Paul Hevin, Sadaharu Aoki and Patrick Roger. Pick up some sweets and have a picnic in Jardin du Luxembourg nearby. I created a little map with addresses here.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just past Napa is Yountville home of the French Laundry and Bouchon. You could eat at the bar in Bouchon or get soup, sandwiches, and drinks from their bakery and eat outside.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
(Paris) You should try to pick up some awesome croissants (in the morning) and macaroons (any time) from Peire Herme. There are several other world-class pasticeries in the neighborhood also: Jean Paul Hevin, Sadaharu Aoki and Patrick Roger. Pick up some sweets and have a picnic in Jardin du Luxembourg nearby. I created a little map with addresses here.

This is amazing! Thank you. I've actually been making my own googlemap with places on it, but it's been very deficient in the patisserie-genre (and considering how much I love baked goods, that was a serious issue). This helps immensely. Thank you so much.

StylenotFashion

Reaction score
While in Napa Bouchon is great! You might also try Mustards Grill on Highway 29
(that's the main drag through the valley) www.mustardsgrill.com. Another is Bistro Don Giovanni www.bistrodongiovanni.com

Basically you really have to go out of your way in Napa to have a bad meal!

Have fun.... and remember "Sonoma makes wine.....Napa makes auto parts"

iridium7777

Reaction score
oh well, since it won't let me edit my original message, here it goes:

for drinks only (no food there but peanuts), also maybe a 5 minute walk in a little alley, check out the highlander. from 5-8 they have happy hour but even during regular prices bottles of budvar are only 3.50euro. everyone speaks english.

Originally Posted by iridium7777
just came back from paris, and for cakes & pastries may I suggest aux castelblangeois, right around the louvre. You don't even have to chew the cakes, they melt as soon as you put them in your mouth.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iridium7777
oh well, since it won't let me edit my original message, here it goes:

for drinks only (no food there but peanuts), also maybe a 5 minute walk in a little alley, check out the highlander. from 5-8 they have happy hour but even during regular prices bottles of budvar are only 3.50euro. everyone speaks english.

This is great, thanks! I'm actually staying at Hotel Nesle, which is just around the corner, so this could be my go-to bar... I'll definitely check out the patisserie as well. Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm heading out in 47 minutes and looking forward to it very much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads