• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sole Welting

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Except that Blake is done to a groove in the outsole. And you see it. And it wicks moisture into the shoe.

Pump stitched is done to a channel that is sealed.

Yes, "pump stitched" or "channel stitched."

I think M. de Garsault describes the technique in his 1767 Art du Cordonnier . Remember this was way before cement

Blake stitch with closed channel* : pump stitching :: GYW : hand welting?

*I presume a shoemaker can do closed-channel stitching on a blake shoe, just as they can on a welted shoe.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About Gemming Failure, from a nice C&J Factory Tour by Gentleman's Gazette:

One topic that has been mentioned from time to time in various on-line blogs is that of ‘gemming’ or ‘ribbing failure’, whereby the sole and uppers of the shoe supposedly part company catastrophically with the insole. It is not something I have ever come across in real life and when we are in the welting department I decide to raise the issue with James, who is rather dismissive of the idea:

‘We’ve never had a rib fail. We’ve been making shoes for 130 years and there is a reason why we are still making shoes in this way."

He points out that in a Goodyear welted shoe, the insole is effectively encased by the chainstitch of the welt and the lockstitch of the upper. Although C&J have a fairly active repairs department looking after shoes that are returned for resoling (some of whose owners appear to treat their shoes with a degree of abuse and neglect I find surprising), they have never had a pair of shoes returned that have had rib failure.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

*I presume a shoemaker can do closed-channel stitching on a blake shoe, just as they can on a welted shoe.

I don't think the machines are engineered to do that. Have you...has anyone...ever seen a Blake shoe that had a closed channel?

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the machines are engineered to do that. Have you...has anyone...ever seen a Blake shoe that had a closed channel?

Not IRL, no. I was under the impression that the channel was closed on a separate machine from the one the sole was stitched on, but I suppose that's not the case.

kentyman

Reaction score
Bonwelt is simply a fake welt strip used to make a Blake or cemented shoe look like a welted or Blake Rapid shoe.

Functionally the only difference between Blake stitched and Blake stitched with a Bonwelt is cosmetic; the Bonwelted shoe has a fake welt glued to the upper edges of the sole.

Ah, thank you; that was my confusion.

To recap, Bonwelt is not a construction but rather a type of cosmetic faux "welt" used on Blake or cemented shoes. The incongruent stitching between the "welt" and outsole proves that it could not be Blake/Rapid, and the stitching on the outsole suggested that it's Blake instead of cemented, although it is not impossible that a company could put faux stitching on the outsole of a cemented shoe.

I am not a great fan of topy...for personal reasons...but I would recommend it in this case to, yes, put off having to replace the outsole as long as possible. If you're assiduously observant, you may never have to replace the outsole. I put it on my wife's pump stitched shoes...she likes it and I didn't want to fool with having to hand stitch another outsole before its time.

I think I'm convinced. Would you suggest adding a topy ASAP to prevent any possible moisture wicking from ever occurring, or is there a reason to "break in" the shoes first?

Also, any specific recommendations regarding the topy? I think you said before that you would have it cover the entire outsole. Sadly, I'm not as keen on the look of that.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think I'm convinced. Would you suggest adding a topy ASAP to prevent any possible moisture wicking from ever occurring, or is there a reason to "break in" the shoes first?

I would do it immediately. Once you wear the shoes at all...and the problems gets worse the more you wear them...you will grind so much dirt and so forth into the outsoles that to do the job correctly the outsole will have to be ground away slightly. That may impact the integrity of the stitches. Which would defeat the purpose.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Okay, no good then. No idea how to help, thelonius then.

You help him. You or maybe someone else who is "in the know"...even though they have never made a shoe or boot, never even seen any of their own shoes torn apart; and can't be bothered to read other people's remarks in their entirety, much less even look at photos. I fear anything I say would fall on deaf ears, in any event.

What do I gain by giving the advice I give? What do I gain?

What does C&J have to gain?

Last edited:

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you note, I did not use a question mark in my above post. Therefore, I was not asking a question of you, I was making a statement, saying that I have no idea how to help thelonius with his issue of the inner lining cracking due to his feet sweating. Has nothing to do with C&J, or making shoes etc. that you bring up. You need to pay better attention, DW, and maybe don't be so uptight *sheesh*

Last edited:

Roger la Rock

Reaction score

I have some from before I knew better. Fluevogs, corrected grain, yes I know. They have Blake stitching inside and a closed channel. My understanding, but I could be wrong, is that they were made in a factory in Vietnam belonging to the Japanese maker Perfetto.

kentyman

Reaction score
I would do it immediately. Once you wear the shoes at all...and the problems gets worse the more you wear them...you will grind so much dirt and so forth into the outsoles that to do the job correctly the outsole will have to be ground away slightly. That may impact the integrity of the stitches. Which would defeat the purpose.

Good to know. I haven't worn them outside even once, so I'm glad I asked. Thank you.

Do you still feel covering the entire outsole is necessary? There's something about leaving the arch leather exposed that looks better to me, though I understand this would allow moisture in through the arch stitches if I was ever really tromping around. That's not my plan, however.

thelonius

Reaction score

Okay, no good then. No idea how to help, thelonius then.
Thanks for the idea TW. No, I don't think talc is the answer. I don't think it's a problem particular to me, although everyone differs of course. Chemical aggression from the interior is definitely an important source of shoe deterioration as far as I'm concerned and I've heard other people mention it, but I haven't come across any particular treatments to protect the interior surfaces. I thought of adding a leather insole with active carbon layer, the sort one can find for sale easily and renew regularly, but adding an extra layer fills the shoes up more and may distort them. An such a layer would not protect the linings either.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jocelyarker