• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Chan

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I'm generally happy with my clothes from Chan: A suit and blazer thus far. However, they're both cut very close--has anyone had luck getting them to cut a more relaxed jacket?

Yea my suits have a close and more structures cut i would say. No problem for me since this is what i prefer.

If you are seeking a relaxed classic American
fit I would probably look somewhere else since forcing a tailor to deviate too much from the house style is not a formula for success.

bamboo

Reaction score
I personally do not own Chan suit, but close to body fitting is quite common among Hong Kong tailors isn't it? I have Gordon Yao and some other tailors and good fitting one tends to be closer to the body and once you ask to make it more relaxed fit, it tends to look boxy. I also see sometime quite agressive shaping(tapering) of waist and back of the jacket to follow the wearer's body shape. It is based on my limited experience and observation only.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks a lot for the kind words, Alex. It is altogether too possible for one to outlive his well-being. However, as long as I can enjoy good food and drink, good books, get in vigorous workouts and shoot reasonably straight, I hope I can hang in.

It's crazy to see my SF join date of 2006 - over 10 years ago! And you, JLibourel, a good dozen. In my early journey going with Chan, I found your feedback quite helpful. And if I recall correctly, I wouldn't have pegged your vintage in your late mid/late 70s (back then), let alone mid-80s now. I'm sure along with your friends, family, and the rest of SF, I hope you stick around for quite a while longer!

Personally, it's been a few years since I've ordered from Chan. Mainly because their prices have gone up appreciably, and I don't wear suits as often. I'm itching for a new sport coat or two, but I may consider going with less expensive options.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's crazy to see my SF join date of 2006 - over 10 years ago! And you, JLibourel, a good dozen. In my early journey going with Chan, I found your feedback quite helpful. And if I recall correctly, I wouldn't have pegged your vintage in your late mid/late 70s (back then), let alone mid-80s now. I'm sure along with your friends, family, and the rest of SF, I hope you stick around for quite a while longer!

Personally, it's been a few years since I've ordered from Chan. Mainly because their prices have gone up appreciably, and I don't wear suits as often. I'm itching for a new sport coat or two, but I may consider going with less expensive options.

I think you misunderstood me when I said I am in the middle of my eighth decade. I will be 75 next month. I had lived for seven decades when I turned 70 in 2012. Should I make it to 80, I'll be starting my ninth decade. Your original assumptions about my age were correct.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you misunderstood me when I said I am in the middle of my eighth decade. I will be 75 next month. I had lived for seven decades when I turned 70 in 2012. Should I make it to 80, I'll be starting my ninth decade. Your original assumptions about my age were correct.

Ha! Probably should have spent another second or two thinking about my awful math. Was thinking how is this guy 85 now?

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
greetings all,

anyone know if chan travels with abraham moon options to choose from?

thanks!

Hifilover

Reaction score

I personally do not own Chan suit, but close to body fitting is quite common among Hong Kong tailors isn't it?   I have Gordon Yao and some other tailors and good fitting one tends to be closer to the body and once you ask to make it more relaxed fit, it tends to look boxy.  I also see sometime quite agressive shaping(tapering)  of waist and back of the jacket to follow the wearer's body shape.  It is based on my limited experience and observation only. 

I think most tailor shops in Hong Kong to provide one mirror only . The customer has no way to see how the back of jacket and trouser look like . Since most customers prefer slim . Tailors will try to make the front as slim while the back are loose or baggy to allow for movement of the arms . Of course , you can ask tailors to take photos of your back by phone . But it allows the tailor to give the jacket a pull which makes jacket looks much better . I will not go to any tailors without two mirrors plus i will ask my tailor to cut tiny loose in the front upper arms and tighter on thr back arm shoulder blades which get most wrinkle of a jacket .

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think most tailor shops in Hong Kong to provide one mirror only . The customer has no way to see how the back of jacket and trouser look like . Since most customers prefer slim . Tailors will try to make the front as slim while the back are loose or baggy to allow for movement of the arms . Of course , you can ask tailors to take photos of your back by phone . But it allows the tailor to give the jacket a pull which makes jacket looks much better . I will not go to any tailors without two mirrors plus i will ask my tailor to cut tiny loose in the front upper arms and tighter on thr back arm shoulder blades which get most wrinkle of a jacket .

While your information might be correct about "most tailors in Hong Kong", it is definitely posted in the wrong thread since W.W. Chan has plenty of mirrors in his fitting rooms and you can indulge in looking at your garment from any possible angle. And this has been the case at both the old and new location. I myself checked the back of my Chan coats and trousers very carefully and consider them clean.

Also there is no doubt that W.W. Chan will go out of its way to make sure you are totally satisfied. E.g. when I pointed out that stripes were not matching perfectly at the backseam of the jacket of one of my commissions, I was asked to send the item back and they fixed it without charge for work or shipping.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I hear after 11 commissions they introduce fun house mirrors to test your savvy and understanding of the bespoke process. Most will never reach this level.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How about their trunk shows ? More than one mirror ?

Never cared since I only order at trunk shows, but do not do fittings there (and completed garments I can check easily at home after delivery). Nevertheless, that might depend on the individual location, but I am sure they allow BYOM (bring your own mirror...also recommended in case that you suspect HK tailors to alter mirror accuracy to prevent customers from seeing how their garments look).

Hifilover

Reaction score
I just suspect tailor shops in Hong Kong always don't provide mirrors to let customers see how the fit of the suit at the back ?

I agree Chan shop in HK provides a lot of mirrors to let customers to see from different angles , especially for the back , is excellent .

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do y'all think of Chan's trousers? Any idea on the price point I'd be looking at for a W. Bill Linen trousers?

I am moving in the bespoke direction, & currently am working with a few different bespoke tailors, but they charge a lot for trousers (~1000). I was thinking of using Chan for trousers, as trousers off the peg do not fit my thighs / glutes well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads