1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Well-Known Member

I bought those same boots recently in an oxblood color. Under indoor lighting they look like a very rich traditional oxblood, very red. But under sunlight they look purple, almost grimace purple, but slightly more red and much richer color. Under dim lighting they look reddish brown.

I'd assume the grey/black/green you're seeing here is similar. I just imagine it's very difficult to capture the color of this leather treatment properly.

And keep in mind, this style (017 is the style# I believe) fit more tts than other guidis I've tried. I have backzips in 42 and the 017 in 41 and I'd say they fit about the same. the 017 is slightly slimmer but that's about it.

I love the boots and I think they're under-rated in the realm of guidis. Go for em.

EDIT: On second look, those look like they may be 994, so disregard sizing advice as I haven't tried that model on personally.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. jmaudi0

jmaudi0 Well-Known Member

I need a new pair of shoes for work/casual wear. My office is pretty casual. Most days I wear a button down and some sort of chino, rarely need a tie or suit.

I rotate between Clarks Desert Boots in oakwood suede, Oaksteet Bootmakers captoe trench boots (natural CXL), Oakstreet boat shoes in the summer time (natural CXL), and Allen Edmonds Park Ave's (black) for the rare formal day.

My desert boots are beat to shit and need replacing. Any recommendations? I only paid like $60 for them a few years ago and now I can't find them for less then $120 and i really don't think they are worth the money again. I have no issue spending some bills on quality shoes...just not really sure what to go with. I loved the Desert Boots and wore them year round with chinos, jeans, etc. They are probably my most worn pair of shoes. I know Alden and various other companies make similar Chukkas but I feel like they all look so formal compared to the Clarks model. I think that's part of the beauty of them...

Considering the Oakstreet Peanut Suede trail oxford as a mixup. Thoughts? Other recommendations? I'd like to get a pair of sidezips eventually...those might be a viable option here.

[​IMG]

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

4. jmaudi0

nice, but again I feel they are so formal looking compared to the Clarks boots. These APC's aren't bad...more casual and along the lines of what I was thinking - http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/apc/suede-desert-boots/453511. the APC's look very boot-like, however...not loving that. Resoleable is a must if I'm spending over $200.

[​IMG]

5. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

...so do you want desert boots or trail oxfords?

1 person likes this.
  6. jmaudi0

Haha, I'm not sure exactly...that's the problem. Really just looking for opinions and similar recommendations to what I've shown. I want the shoe to be versatile...and suede.

7. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

Chukkas are everywhere. I trust you'll find a pair you like. Just keep poking around the usual places-- Porter, The Corner, Tres Bien, whatever.

I'm thinking you should make this a personal journey and then, in two weeks or so, tell us how it went. Vaya con dios.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  8. el Bert

el Bert Well-Known Member

Buttero suede zip, kinda feel like I need something lighter in color

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  9. nevergreen

nevergreen Well-Known Member

10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

VISVIM academia beige cord blazer
    VISVIM brown cord artifact

11. Severisth

Severisth Well-Known Member

So, I can't decide if I should keep my Bless Hoodjacket

[​IMG]

Or sell it and get a Hoodcoat instead

[​IMG]

12. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

Need a parka, I trust they're all warm so just going by design and price. Looking for recommendations too.

Norse Projects
    [​IMG]

Neoshell:

[​IMG]

Down wool:

[​IMG]

Isaora:

[​IMG]

Acne:

[​IMG]

Our Legacy:

[​IMG]

13. eternaldrake

eternaldrake Well-Known Member

imo sell it [to me]

14. superego

superego Well-Known Member

hoodcoat for sure
    I've been considering the enfin leve fishtail myself like the design on this and details look nice, but wish they were stocked anywhere in the US to check out fit/construction in person [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. mcl116

mcl116 Member

who makes this? need this!

16. SwedishFish

SwedishFish Well-Known Member

Swedish and thus biased, but Fjällräven produces excellent quality stuff. Never been disappointed with anything from them and I have three backpacks and two jackets. I use their Greenland wax on all my stuff from them, as well as on canvas sneakers for added water protection. :)

1 person likes this.
  17. theThirdMan

theThirdMan Member

Better for the office?

Ervell Jacket
    [​IMG]

vs

Geller Jacket
    [​IMG]

Leaning towards the hooded.

1 person likes this.
  18. Melbush

Melbush Well-Known Member

19. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

ervell

9 people like this.
  20. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Well-Known Member

For the office no question Ervell. Both similarly usable outside of the office, would go with Ervell for sure (but I'm biased)