• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I buy a blazer?

Reaction score
I'm in college and I just came across a very high quality navy hopsack blazer for $100, which is within budget for me. While I was initially going to buy it, now I'm unsure if I even need it. Though a hopsack blazer is classic I can only think of less than 10 times in the past year where I could've worn a wool blazer and not looked overdressed compared to everyone else. Should I buy it, or go for a cotton blazer instead?

MichaelSpyker

Reaction score
Cotton is less versatile than a traditional navy blazer, especially for a college student. If you're only going to wear a navy blazer 10 times, I'd reckon you'd wear a cotton one less. At only 10 times, that's $10 a wear, even if it lasts you for a couple years, you'd be able to get the cost per wear down to just a few bucks, which is without a doubt worth it for a staple garment that will take you through meetings, interviews in a pinch, and more formal occasions.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A navy hopsack blazer is about as versatile as an item of clothing can get. It’s a man’s equivalent of the LBD (little black dress).

I agree with the above in that Cotton is not really that versatile. If you already have the basics covered, then sure. If you have only one navy blazer in your closet, then go with the wool.

JackEst3

Reaction score
I wouldn't say cotton is more versatile. If you're going to look overderessed in a wool blazer, you'll probably look overdressed in a cotton blazer as well.

100 USD for a quality hopsack blazer is a great deal and I'm sure you'll get your money's worth our of it. In the coming years you'll probably be able to wear it to job interviews and other business or smart casual events.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never wear my cotton blazers anymore. I think I have 3 sitting in my "forgotten closet".

I wear my navy hopsack almost too much. Its the best no thought go to.

GMcMillan

Reaction score
If it's within budget, just buy it. I personally don't care if I "dress up" compared to others. It's what I like, and my wardrobe has carried me far. Judging people based on their clothing and footwear is a key part of being human and is rooted deeply in evolution. I view it as a sign of respect, as well. I make an attempt to wear a blazer/sport coat to work everyday. I am in a conservative field, though, and have no experience in contemporary corporate culture.

Reaction score
As with any clothing purchases, the cost-per-wear mantra is admittedly helpful to best justify something you want. And if its within your budget, I think it's a go. Just experiment and look for some styling where you can match a blazer like that with more casual bottoms if youre worried about looking overdressed.

Rixon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in college and I just came across a very high quality navy hopsack blazer for $100, which is within budget for me. While I was initially going to buy it, now I'm unsure if I even need it. Though a hopsack blazer is classic I can only think of less than 10 times in the past year where I could've worn a wool blazer and not looked overdressed compared to everyone else. Should I buy it, or go for a cotton blazer instead?

I think when you’re a student or anywhere else, do look how others are dressed. A good concern you raised was being overdressed and not being something you want. I’ve made this mistake myself. When you buy something of quality and good fit, it shows. So if your classmates are casual, it makes sense to buy quality versions of those items. A blazer that’s unstructured and very dark, like Loro’s sweater blazer that leans towards being a cardigan, is a solid way to dress down the item. Also, the versatility of the fabric and color will be more to do with the culture you’re in. So while there are general rules of thumb, there are societies where cotton hop would be very versatile and others where it would be unusual because no one is use to seeing it.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NancySweney