• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping spree...or vacation? What would you pick?

whochrisliu

Reaction score
Hello all!

I was just wanting some input from you guys as to what you would do. Say you have a couple grand saved up, is been a hell of a year and you want to reward yourself. Would you rather go on a big shopping spree or would you rather go all out on a 7 day cruise? This is my dilemma, for the past 4 years I have always opted for the shopping spree. My reasoning has always been that you can keep these material items until you die and resell them if need be, whereas the vacation is just "X" amount of dollars thrown away in a week. I actually honestly never really been on a vacation, flying down to visit grandma or to attend so and so's wedding does not count. It just does not seem best bang for buck in my mind.

However as of recent I have started to wonder 'if the grass is greener on the other side'. But I scoff at the idea and put it into the back of my mind and think of the Audemars watch, a car upgrade, another pair of shoes, etc. As the days go by I find myself thinking about going on a vacation more and more. Sitting there at work daydreaming about myself lounging on my stateroom balcony, with the blue seas, open wind, and not a care in the world. So now I got both ideas on the scale, I actually like both equally...So do I buy my hearts desires once again or do I mix it up? Do you personally like buying things more than going on vacation? Friends of mine and people I talk to at work all have mixed opinions. A older fellow that I know swears by travel and says that in all his years he only wishes he had been to and seen more places. My younger and more materialistic friends beg to differ. Does "age come with wisdom?" Or is this ol' timer off his rocker?

Of course if I made more money I could afford to do both but thats not happening right now so I got to make do. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think the shift comes with time...you tend to start out wanting to accumulate stuff, and then once you've indulged your main passions, you tend to "run out of things to buy" and value experiences more

whochrisliu

Reaction score
i think the shift comes with time...you tend to start out wanting to accumulate stuff, and then once you've indulged your main passions, you tend to "run out of things to buy" and value experiences more

Thank you for your advice. Funny thing is is I am only 23...but I got a head start being a shopaholic though, I began buying "nice stuff" since I was 19 working full time (70 hrs a week at my family restaurant). The idea was if you owned everything that was best in its class then your quality of life skyrockets, your a brimming image of success, you look in the mirror and say "I've made it!"...right? But the past 4 years I pretty much bought everything I wanted though, finished the check list. But the thing is I still wouldent mind having more of these things in quantity. Its like right now I find it hard to believe you can "run out of things to buy" take watches for instance; You want a Rolex, finally get one, hallmark moment congratulations, well its just the beginning. You still need a Jaeger, Audemars, Vacheron, Lange, Patek; once you have all of them theres still the grande-complications which are six figures. That alone's a lifetime thing...not to mention the car collection, walk in in wardrobe, nice house on prime real estate...BUT I understand what you mean HRoi, I think im actually half way getting there.
biggrin.gif

Er...one little thing I accidentally left out, the past year I found a girlfriend and have taken more time off of work, I gained 30 pounds and just started enjoying life more. So yeah, maybe thats the reason.

Last edited:

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
I say "VACATION." This is because the experience will last longer than any item that you buy.

COME TO Thailand!

tullytra

Reaction score
Travel, but not a cruise: too many days wasted just at sea. There are at least 2 and probably 3 days just spent in open waters on a 7 day cruise. A vacation may only be X amount of time, but you'll always remember it especially since you've never been on one. You can do a lot on a few grand as a 23 year-old on vacation, so seize the chance. It'll be much different than vacations you may take later in life.

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Collect experiences, not things. Your life will be much better.

whochrisliu

Reaction score
I say "VACATION." This is because the experience will last longer than any item that you buy.
COME TO Thailand!

Oh yeah...I think Thailand is where I can get "Best Bang for Bhat" hahahaha!

I dunno guys, I just like being on a boat. I went 2 times before but this was like 6 years ago.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tehbry

Reaction score
Definitely travel. There's much better experiences to be had. I mean, your new clothes won't ******** with you... (Though, maybe you can ******** with them...?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads