• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes Explained

Moody Allen

Reaction score
Could somebody please explain what kind of construction is this? These shoes are made by a local Russian brand. Styling is tacky, but the leather is actually pretty good. What bothers me, is that I can't understand what kind of construction is that. It seems that this is not a Goodyear welting — because the stitching pattern on the welt and on the sole is different. I wonder, what is stitched and what is glued here.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

.......not a Goodyear welting — because the stitching pattern on the welt and on the sole is different. I wonder, what is stitched and what is glued here

I would say, the shoe is blake-stitched with a bonwelt in place. Bonwelts are leather strips which have the look of conventional welts but in reality, they serve only a decorative and no practical purpose.

Scroll down to 'bonwelts' in the catalogue. They come in 'endless' length, (rolls of 50 metres or so). Several have already a row of stitching in place,

http://www.barbourcorp.com/pdf/welting_catalog.pdf

Last the boots over the insole, glue the bonwelt in place. Glue on the middle sole (which probably has the rubber outer sole already attached). Then you remove the last from the shoes and guide the shoe through the blake stitching machine. One row of stitching will go through insole, the teeth of the bonwelt, middle and outer sole.

Moody Allen

Reaction score
Thank you! So, being Blake-stitched, these shoe will actually have the stitching go through the sole into the chamber of the shoe, making them wet weather useless? Not a wise decision for a "hard-wearing" boot...

dinowhite

Reaction score
this shoe construction business is getting ever more varied. I guess this has been the case for some time, but the days where a list would always consists of the traditional, norvegese (and other triple stitches), gyear, blake-rapid, rapid , bologna , 'simply glue' are gone

tough luck for pic based internet examinations

Moody Allen

Reaction score
dinowhite, yes, you are right. But the brand doesn't answer, and buying and disassembling the shoe isn't that practical either, so I thought that someone experienced here would be able to tell.

By the way, my lady friend has this pair of shoes by Hudson, and the construction seems to be pretty similar, at least the bonwelt and blake stitching part.

dinowhite

Reaction score
dinowhite, yes, you are right. But the brand doesn't answer, and buying and disassembling the shoe isn't that practical either, so I thought that someone experienced here would be able to tell.

I understand that of course

but I do think that in many instances -especially if we are not talking about 'dress shoes', (but even then)- the actual 'construction' is not that important if the quality is right

Moody Allen

Reaction score
I understand that of course

but I do think that in many instances -especially if we are not talking about 'dress shoes', (but even then)- the actual 'construction' is not that important if the quality is right
Well, sure, when buying some cheap crap-kickers to get through the winter I generally could care less about their construction, but if the pair is Blake-stitched, like it looks to be the case with the pair above, it seems pretty ridiculous. Why don't they just glue them? Who knows what the collective mind of Russian designers and Chinese shoemakers thought of...

geo88

Reaction score
Darn, the pics from the first post aren't working anymore. Is there any alternative collection of such photos in one place in this forum? (No, Google isn't it).

XFactor

Reaction score
This article is meant as a quick reference to explain the design and construction of classic shoes and the terminology used to describe them. Pictures are crucial if you are to understand anything written below, so a link to a picture index is included at the end of the article.

Most classic shoe models can be traced back to bespoke shoemakers. Nearly all of them first appeared at least 75 years ago, and some have been around for more than one hundred years. They have evolved and have been refined, but most are still obviously connected to their original form. The driving force behind shoe design is really the silhouette of the clothes they are meant to be worn with – especially the trousers. Slim pants with a narrow (pegged) bottom require a slim fitting shoe unless you want your feet to appear larger than they actually are. Conversely, fuller-cut clothing requires heavier shoes. As a general rule, your trousers should cover the lacing of your shoes – approximately two thirds of the shoe’s length.

The most important factor to consider when choosing a shoe is the last. The last is the wooden form that the shoe is constructed around. It determines both the final shape of the shoe, and its’ fitting characteristics. Master lastmakers are, in a way, part scientist, doctor, architect and artist.

Also crucially important is the leather that the shoe is clicked (cut) from. The leather used to make the shoe upper is almost always chrome-salt (mineral) tanned in large rotating vats. Most fine shoe uppers are made from high-grade calfskin. Thicker cowhide is sometimes used for pebble-grained uppers and to a lesser extent, you will see fine shoes made from shell cordovan (horse leather) and even exotic leathers like alligator and crocodile. A fine shoe will have an insole and sole of thicker pit-tanned cowhide. This leather is vegetable-tanned using actual vegetable matter, not vegetable extracts. Most shoe linings are also vegetable tanned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads