• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe tree too big?

lullemans72

Reaction score
Hello again gentlemen,

So I just got myself some shoe trees which I ordered online a few days ago.
My shoe size for dress shoes is 25.5 cm, so I got myself some shoe trees with a range of 25.0~25.5 cm thinking the fit would be ideal for my shoes.
So far I've mostly been using cheap shoe trees with springs or with a small handle like a wooden piece at the end of the tree.

However, as I placed the trees in one of my shoes, it didn't feel tight or snug in the least. When I touch the sides of the shoe, I do feel like the tree is filling up the inside of the shoe mostly, but when I look inside the shoe, or near the heal, there seems to be a quite large gap between shoe and heel. The heal part of the tree fits very loosely and can be removed with almost no effort.

This leads me to believe that the trees are just too small, even if they were advertises as 25.0~25.5 cm.

Since I feel so much loosness when the trees are in the shoe (compared to the other cheaper trees I own) I'm guessing they're just smaller than I thought?

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whether in suits or in shoe trees, take advertised sizes as little more than a starting point. A place where you begin your search to find the right size. Sizes are often far from precise and can occasionally be wildly inaccurate.

Based on the advertised size, these shoe trees should be a good fit for your shoes. They're not.

No different from knowing that you always wear size 36 pants. When your new, online ordered size 36 pants reach you, you try them on and they're so small you can't button them. Sometimes, things just don't fit the way we'd expected. That's why the Flying Spaghetti Monster, who so loved the world he gave us pirates and strippers and beer, also gave us retailers with liberal return privileges.

lullemans72

Reaction score
You're absolutely right.
I hadn't thought of sizing for shoe trees the way I do for clothes. You try and save some time and money but it ends up causing more trouble afterwards...

I went to a retailer in leather goods earlier today and brought my shoes with me and had the owner recommend me a pair with the best fit, of which I bought two pairs (see below).

Overall fit seems much better than the previous ones as they're actually exerting pressure on the leather and feel very snug. Though the rear part of the heel seems to be at a diagonal angle and slightly sticks out a little.

Last edited:

Bower

Reaction score
I try to be carefull when choosing shoe trees. First I look for a model similar in shape to the shoe, and then I go for a bit smaller size. Doing this I try to maintain the shoe shape without adding pressure that coud deform the shoe.

lullemans72

Reaction score

I try to be carefull when choosing shoe trees. First I look for a model similar in shape to the shoe, and then I go for a bit smaller size. Doing this I try to maintain the shoe shape without adding pressure that coud deform the shoe.

That's a fair point. But where does one draw the line though? How much smaller a shoe tree do you go for exactly? It's my understanding that if the shoe tree isn't just the right size, it won't exercise the right amount of pressure inside the shoe to minimize creases or to prevent the toe of the shoe from curling upwards.

Bower

Reaction score
Just a little bit, I am UK7.5 and I will get UK7 if the tree comes in sizes, or I will get a S size.

I found a site that offers a very good selection of different shoe tree shapes and brands. I can´t remenber the name now, but I will look for it and I´ll tell you later.

lullemans72

Reaction score
Just a little bit, I am UK7.5 and I will get UK7 if the tree comes in sizes, or I will get a S size.

I found a site that offers a very good selection of different shoe tree shapes and brands. I can´t remenber the name now, but I will look for it and I´ll tell you later.

I see. FYI, the shoe trees above are from a company called Sleipnir, and are size 25.5 cm (41 Euro size), as are the shoes in the above photos. The trees are very snug but in my opinion, but not too big.

A pair of other shoe trees I bought just last week for another pair of black derbies with semi-broguing, was size 25.5-26 cm (41-42 Euro size), and those were intended for shoes with size 26 cm (42 Euro size). Those non-brand shoe trees were about the same size as the Sleipnir ones, but considering that they are intended for a bigger shoe (26 cm/42), I would say the shoe tree might have been just a tad bit small.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member