• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe store etiquette/advice

rjc149

Reaction score
Is this a better time to try on?
Yes. Over the course of the day, gravity brings blood down to accumulate at your lower extremities. Additionally, your feet will swell from heat and sweating. You want to make sure your shoes will fit comfortably when your feet are the largest.

rjc149

Reaction score
Exactly. I think for the most part both stores have good reputations for customer service. The only advice I would have is to ask questions about the instep. Sizes marked on shoes denote length and width, but not volume.

For example, I have a low instep, and my feet are basically swimming in the popular Carmina Rain last. But the Simpson last has less volume, and therefore fits better for me.
I have low arches and pretty much all dress shoe lasts are roomy in the instep for me. All of my dress shoes have tongue pads, which fill that volume comfortably.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think that I have ever purchased a pair of shoes w/o trying and maybe saying.....can I try a 1/2 or size smaller/larger.

Then I am out.

Buying shoes for me is pretty straight fwd....and I have some nice shoes.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is perfectly reasonable to tell people you are coming in with the hope of finding a fit and model that suits you very well, so you may need to try on multiple shoes. I'd also suggest getting brannock sized at the store.

The Carmina people might get somewhat annoyed based on my experience with their so-so service. If you go to Carmina, you may want to go to the one that is back behind Grand Central Terminal, rather than the one about 10 blocks North.

Furthermore, if I had to choose between the two brands? I'd 100% always pick Crockett and Jones. Crockett and Jones is the absolute best; however, the US price is BS.

Phan84

Reaction score
It is perfectly reasonable to tell people you are coming in with the hope of finding a fit and model that suits you very well, so you may need to try on multiple shoes. I'd also suggest getting brannock sized at the store.

The Carmina people might get somewhat annoyed based on my experience with their so-so service. If you go to Carmina, you may want to go to the one that is back behind Grand Central Terminal, rather than the one about 10 blocks North.

Furthermore, if I had to choose between the two brands? I'd 100% always pick Crockett and Jones. Crockett and Jones is the absolute best; however, the US price is BS.
I heard the Carmina on Madison has the best stock. My plan is to go to C & J first - I like the Grantham, Sydney, Boston, and Cavendish. I’m going to try Carmina if those don’t work. I also like the drivers. It looks like $150 more for a similar shoe at C & J. I like Alden as well but the one time trying on I had trouble - might try again. I’m hoping to come away with 2-3 pairs.

I always seem to have trouble buying shoes for some reason. Only in NYC for 2 days.

A12321

Reaction score

I heard the Carmina on Madison has the best stock. My plan is to go to C & J first - I like the Grantham, Sydney, Boston, and Cavendish. I’m going to try Carmina if those don’t work. I also like the drivers. It looks like $150 more for a similar shoe at C & J. I like Alden as well but the one time trying on I had trouble - might try again. I’m hoping to come away with 2-3 pairs.

I always seem to have trouble buying shoes for some reason. Only in NYC for 2 days.

I was at Carmina on Madison a few days ago. They have the best stock and did not seem to get annoyed at all. Maybe just the ponytail manager guy but the ladies working were very nice and helpful.

Reaction score
A sort of side topic regarding etiquette……be careful not to look at anyone trying on shoes. I‘ve done this unintentionally in the past, and the guy quickly looks back at you. It’s apparently a sensitive moment for people.

Last edited:

trufunk

Reaction score
Any good salesman is going to offer to measure your feet, and should know which shoes will fit your feet best. They should bring you a few to try on. Then you pick the shoe that fits best! Just be upfront with them to say your gong to look at the other brand. I prefer knowledgeable, customer service oriented sales person than someone who is just there to sell you shoes.That makes a difference.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I visit the C&J store every time wifey and I visit NYC. The salespeople are very helpful and knowledgeable. Trying on multiple pairs was never an issue.

Only been to Carmina. Couldn't get a good fit there so never went back.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you want to minimize “waste time”, you can also describe your fit issue so they might recommend certain last

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I’d pick Carmina and their slightly less friendly but helpful (in my experience) staff over C&J’s favoritism of certain customers. I had to get the manager involved just to get a salesman to sell me a shoe. Also, he mentioned wife and low volume. C&J is not a good fit more me, which will likely mean the same for him

marioccontreras

Reaction score
Hi All

So I am planning a trip to NYC soon and am hoping to buy a few pairs of shoes. I want to go to C&J and Carmina. I like the look of both but I am really most focused on fit (after a failed attempt at buying online).

What is the best way to be respectful of the stores/associates but also try on multiple shoes/sizes to make sure I get the right fit? I don’t want to waste anyone’s time but I’d really like to try on at both stores (they are a block away from each other).
You are not expected to Shop at Carmina's or at Crockett. If the salesman do not understand that, he doesn't deserve your bussiness. Say nothing and decide what is Best for You. Period.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads