• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe store etiquette/advice

Phan84

Reaction score
Hi All

So I am planning a trip to NYC soon and am hoping to buy a few pairs of shoes. I want to go to C&J and Carmina. I like the look of both but I am really most focused on fit (after a failed attempt at buying online).

What is the best way to be respectful of the stores/associates but also try on multiple shoes/sizes to make sure I get the right fit? I don’t want to waste anyone’s time but I’d really like to try on at both stores (they are a block away from each other).

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't let them convince you that it will feel fine once
you wear it a few times. That may actually be true for
some very soft leather slip ons, but not for most shoes.
If it doesn't fit to yhour satisfaction, don't buy it.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it doesn't fit to yhour satisfaction, don't buy it.
Exactly. I think for the most part both stores have good reputations for customer service. The only advice I would have is to ask questions about the instep. Sizes marked on shoes denote length and width, but not volume.

For example, I have a low instep, and my feet are basically swimming in the popular Carmina Rain last. But the Simpson last has less volume, and therefore fits better for me.

St1X

Reaction score
That's not true, though.
I have a pair of a rugged boots that were very hard and stiff on a first couple of wears, but after that They became very comfortable

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All

So I am planning a trip to NYC soon and am hoping to buy a few pairs of shoes. I want to go to C&J and Carmina. I like the look of both but I am really most focused on fit (after a failed attempt at buying online).

What is the best way to be respectful of the stores/associates but also try on multiple shoes/sizes to make sure I get the right fit? I don’t want to waste anyone’s time but I’d really like to try on at both stores (they are a block away from each other).
Just ensure you’re more focused on trying on as many different Lasts as possible in the sizes necessary. The store may not appreciate that approach but that’s the best approach for you. Of course record your results.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is fine to try on shoes in the store—but if you do find a model and size that you like and intend to buy, I think the right thing to do would be to buy it at the store rather than trying to buy it for less online later.

Yes, certainly this.

Phan84

Reaction score
It is fine to try on shoes in the store—but if you do find a model and size that you like and intend to buy, I think the right thing to do would be to buy it at the store rather than trying to buy it for less online later.

That is definitely not my intention. I plan to buy that day. Just most concerned about buying what fits well.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Goes w/o saying, but don't wear sneakers and tube/athletic socks if you plan to buy a pair of dress shoes.

But what you are planning is fine.....

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I think for the most part both stores have good reputations for customer service. The only advice I would have is to ask questions about the instep. Sizes marked on shoes denote length and width, but not volume.

For example, I have a low instep, and my feet are basically swimming in the popular Carmina Rain last. But the Simpson last has less volume, and therefore fits better for me.
I also have low insteps and very wide feet. So the
lacing is often much too close to fit properly even
though the shoe fits in length and width.

Pandaros

Reaction score
Honestly man, you just go in. You try them on. And you say 'I'll think about it' and you leave.

Then you come back, if you want.

rjc149

Reaction score
Number 1 rule of shoe store etiquette is to buy the shoes you've chosen in-store, so the sales rep who worked with you makes a commission. On that same coin, don't be afraid you're "wasting anyone's time" by asking them to try on various different models, sizes, widths, and lasts. They get paid to do this. I have no patience for impatient or pushy salespeople who won't allow customers to shop.

If a shoe fits uncomfortably around the toes, ask for different widths. The standard "objection response" is to simply offer you a size up in length if they don't have a wider width. Wearing shoes that are too long will result in different kinds of discomfort in addition to being, well, too long. Ask to try on different widths and different lasts. If they don't have a model and size/width that works for you, leave the store and explore other options. This is what shopping is.

I always bring a pair of fresh dress socks when trying on shoes in a store.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NhhacaiFCB8