• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sdolina

Reaction score
The Ridgeway is just too aggressive that shoe especially with the double sole and closed lacing. Maybe single sole Ridgeway or Dainite (double or single) would have worked better. Could maybe see this in a blucher style.

Like this?

heterophilous

Reaction score
for under $500, your best bets are the calfskin aldens at "the shoemart" (or the ae park avenues too, perhaps) - as there are no captoe options from carmina / C&J at that price point. for $570, though, you could snag the hallams or connaughts at barney's . . .
Dudes,
Need some black captoe oxfords. Where to kop with return policy for under $500 without a wait, i.e. can order today?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

kashmir

Reaction score
picked these up yesterday for ~120 USD from Ed Et Al Singapore sample shoes sale. Will be my only black pair for some time... Just applied Saphir Reno onto them, will that be enough for protection?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

picked these up yesterday for ~120 USD from Ed Et Al Singapore sample shoes sale. Will be my only black pair for some time... Just applied Saphir Reno onto them, will that be enough for protection?

nice haul. in the long run wax isn't bad.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes - but I don't like the little rust that creeps in around the screw on the steel ones. Ok I am a little extreme.

oh no, i see your point. tbh, i never cared about this. just wear them :happy:

the triumph e.g. boulevard plate i know are just alloyed. dunno where you can get the solid brass. durability shouldn't be a concern, imo.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the triumph e.g. boulevard plate i know are just alloyed. dunno where you can get the solid brass. durability shouldn't be a concern, imo.

It seems like you can get the brass ones in Japan - going to have to schedule a trip.

Yes. Wearing them is most important.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It seems like you can get the brass ones in Japan - going to have to schedule a trip.
Yes. Wearing them is most important.

I'm pretty sure brass toe plates I have are all alloyed, not solid

You may want to pick up some Triumph Toe Steel Jewelry (jellybeans) in Japan too :)

kashmir

Reaction score
Breaking in the aforementioned shoes. I have high instep so yeah... for RTW gaps are a given.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads