1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Loafers are a tough fit for me. I don't currently own a pair. I have a high instep, and the complete absence of ANY ability to adjust fit in that area via lacing or strap closure means that if they are too tight in that area, the shoe simply won't work at all, even if the fit everywhere else is just fine. I'd pretty much never order a pair on-line, because the odds of fit failure are just too high. For the same reason, Chelsea boots are a loafer fit taken to a nightmareish level. So naturally, I ordered a pair and hoped like hell they'd fit. :) In this case, I was encouraged by the fit of my Anthony Cleverley Cameron Oxfords. As with my Vass shoes, there seemed to be just a bit more than average instep allowance. They arrived (from the LeatherSoul sale), and I still half-expected the worst. But man, they fit like a dream! Must sacrifice a chicken to the shoe gods. My thanks to my good friends at LeatherFoot here in Toronto, who provided a complimentary shine on these puppies even though they were purchased from a different retailer. The finish had been just a little flat, but that has been improved a good deal, particularly on the toe. Without further babbling, here they are the Anthony Cleverley Rourkes: [​IMG] This may be owner bias talking, but do these boots have great lines, or what? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    3 people like this.
  2. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Not a great lover of Chelsea boots, though I have at least one pair as a lazy slip on: I'm a bit like you, in that loafers tend to either be too sloppy in the heel or too tight in the forefoot, and it's hard to find a balance. Still, that's why I love single monks.

But as Chelsea boots go...those are absolutely stunning. I love the shape and the medallion, but most of all, how they've made those panels of leather on the elastic like a lazyman. I wonder if that also makes the sides less "sloppy", by having several smaller pieces of elastic rather than one big one?

Anyway, great acquisition, Roger, those really are gorgeous.

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

I generally shy away from Chelseas since every pair I've owned had the elastic make that "ruffles" effect on the top after I think some of the elastic rip from the ends. I wonder if the leather pieces help prevent this from happening... If so, those are a nice pair to try. :)

4. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

To the contrary...the leather pieces restrict the ability of the elastic to stretch and/or stretch evenly and, as a result, more stress is placed on the bits in-between. It's a good look and one that I have admired for a long time but it doesn't help the elastic or its longevity.

Parenthetically...and probably because they were bespoke--made for me and my particular foot...I have a pair of whole cut Chelseas that fit like a glove all the way up over the instep. I believe that any bespoke maker could accomplish that, whereas RTW is going to be more concerned with getting you into the boot first (first impressions make the sale) and would necessarily open up the gore a bit and probably even allow more room in the throat and over the instep.

2 people like this.
  5. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Well-Known Member

Very, very nice Roger! If those come in dark brown I will have to get a pair.

6. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Cheers Mimo - the things you like about them are the very things I like about them.

Thanks my man. The leather accordian (not sure if that is the correct term or even a term at all) is certainly a different execution than the usual elastic alone. It will be interesting to see how they hold up.

Thanks J - I bet they'd be sweet in brown. I had been looking for a dressy black bal-boot for some time, and when these popped up I thought they would serve just as well in that role.

2 people like this.
  7. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Well-Known Member

Love that natural cordovan color; never seen it until now.

8. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Well-Known Member

Simply fantastic ... the images and the beauty of these bespoke speak for themselves.

9. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Well-Known Member

Well apparently they were made in brown as well, beautiful as hell:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckily for my wallet they aren't available anymore. Unfortunately for my sanity, those will haunt me in my dreams..

(pictures from LeatherSoul)

1 person likes this.
  10. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Gianni - thank you kindly.

J - agreed - gorgeous as hell in brown. My apologies for your sanity but take comfort in your fatter wallet. [​IMG]

11. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]Thank you for your kind reply .... you have very good taste.

12. meister

meister Well-Known Member

I like the Bestetti like toe gap on those. They look like a pair of RMs used to look like before the quality dropped but have a far greater sleekness.

13. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Thank you meister.

14. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

MY GOODNESS ROGER!

Those are incredible. I dont have a single pair of black shoes/boots but this seems so amazing

15. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Cheers Justin - I am pretty tickled with them.

16. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

I can imagine. When are we going to see them in an outfit?

17. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

I'll wear them around the house this weekend to break them in a bit and they'll get their maiden voyage some time early next week.

18. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

My Henry Baxter Classic chelsea boots are the best I've owned. Luckily for me, for a RTW boot, they fit like a glove.

19. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

^^^ I think you forgot the pic, my good man.

20. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Gaziano & Girling Bramhall Vintage Rioja DG70

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.