1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoe color w/ navy suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mike C., Jun 9, 2004.

1. prinseugen

prinseugen Well-Known Member

I know the picture to which you refer, Mike, and Lauren does look swell (wide, built-up shoulders to offset big head, like Cary Grant), but, but, but, he can wear whatever he wants, while the rest of us must consider the rules of proper engagement. Lauren is now a man of leisure--you and I work for a living: we loaf on holiday or on the weekends. I am not going to show up for a meeting with conservative fellows, wearing loafers with a suit. It looks cavalier, somehow, and while that might be a desirable effect among certain persons, it is not appropriate at my level. And frankly, I doubt that the future will bring much in the way of relief....

Regards,

Jack

2. AJL

AJL Well-Known Member

Personally, I do not care too much for loafers to begin with, and even less those with tassels. Tassel loafers with a suit is a combination that just plain bums me out. It reeks to me of suburban up-and-comer sales executive, trying to "look the part" while lacking any individual sense of style.

Whew, glad I got that off my chest. If I've offended anyone, may I add that on some folks loafers look fine, as well I'm sure that many E.G. versions are quite striking, just not my personal style. Let me also proffer that I myself am not a suit wearer, and offer my opinions merely as a casually (and at times, grubbily) dressed observer.

3. prinseugen

At last, a brother-in-arms.

Regards,

Jack

4. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

(AJL @ 10 Oct. 2004, 5:20) Personally, I do not care too much for loafers to begin with, and even less those with tassels. Tassel loafers with a suit is a combination that just plain bums me out. It reeks to me of suburban up-and-comer sales executive, trying to "look the part" while lacking any individual sense of style. Whew, glad I got that off my chest. If I've offended anyone, may I add that on some folks loafers look fine, as well I'm sure that many E.G. versions are quite striking, just not my personal style. Let me also proffer that I myself am not a suit wearer, and offer my opinions merely as a casually (and at times, grubbily) dressed observer.
    At last, a brother-in-arms. Regards, Jack
    A personal observation/rememberance: The old Brooks loafers with tassels is a very old (relatively speaking) look. Now, while it mayn't be proper in many occasions, it was done by decidedly non-suburban, and most decidely non-up-and-comers in NYC and Boston during the glory days of white-shoe investment banking.

5. prinseugen

(prinseugen @ 10 Oct. 2004, 8:01)
    Personally, I do not care too much for loafers to begin with, and even less those with tassels. Tassel loafers with a suit is a combination that just plain bums me out. It reeks to me of suburban up-and-comer sales executive, trying to "look the part" while lacking any individual sense of style. Whew, glad I got that off my chest. If I've offended anyone, may I add that on some folks loafers look fine, as well I'm sure that many E.G. versions are quite striking, just not my personal style. Let me also proffer that I myself am not a suit wearer, and offer my opinions merely as a casually (and at times, grubbily) dressed observer.
    A personal observation/rememberance: The old Brooks loafers with tassels is a very old (relatively speaking) look. Now, while it mayn't be proper in many occasions, it was done by decidedly non-suburban, and most decidely non-up-and-comers in NYC and Boston during the glory days of white-shoe investment banking.
    You're right, Horace, the Brooks tassel and rounded-toe penny loafer styles are rather venerable--but neither is appropriate with a suit. Regards, Jack

6. Mike C.

Mike C. Well-Known Member

What does this even mean? Did people actually wear white shoes to work? I can't picture it.

"The glory days of investment banking"...? Huh...

7. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Well-Known Member

My father is 83 and VERY old school, i.e. don't wear dark suits for daytime (except black for funerals). Brown or tan shoes with light color suits for day time. Black shoes w/ dark suit for night time (except in summer, white dinner jackets at night). For him a loafer is one who loafs around - the lazy, useless person. (Expression used at me numerous occasions [​IMG] _ Is this where the word loafer originated? How different is the loafer from the opera pump really? Not all of them are patent, look at number nine Opera pumps Shoe # 9.. Also difference between US, UK and Italy. In UK sometimes you see people wearing thin soled loafers w/suits esp in the evening. Just adding to the confusion

8. prinseugen

Confusion: bad; clarity: good. Loafers are inappropriate with business suits in particular, because they send a mixed message. Loafers are casual shoes--business suits are seldom casual. And dark business suits just don't look right with glorified slippers...I mean, when a fellow dresses for effect, the result should present an image of commanding professionalism. I function in a world of conservative old-guard hold-outs, and I will not put myself at an instant disadvantage by automatically diluting whatever sense of authority I possess. Wearing loafers with a proper business suit is a professional risk I am not prepared to take. Regards, Jack

9. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

(Horace @ 11 Oct. 2004, 03:12)
    Personally, I do not care too much for loafers to begin with, and even less those with tassels. Tassel loafers with a suit is a combination that just plain bums me out. It reeks to me of suburban up-and-comer sales executive, trying to "look the part" while lacking any individual sense of style. Whew, glad I got that off my chest. If I've offended anyone, may I add that on some folks loafers look fine, as well I'm sure that many E.G. versions are quite striking, just not my personal style. Let me also proffer that I myself am not a suit wearer, and offer my opinions merely as a casually (and at times, grubbily) dressed observer.

A personal observation/rememberance: Â The old Brooks loafers with tassels is a very old (relatively speaking) look. Â Now, while it mayn't be proper in many occasions, it was done by decidedly non-suburban, and most decidely non-up-and-comers in NYC and Boston during the glory days of white-shoe investment banking.
    You're right, Horace, the Brooks tassel and rounded-toe penny loafer styles are rather venerable--but neither is appropriate with a suit. Regards, Jack
    Yes, certainly not the penny. And I wouldn't wear either with a suit; however, I would certainly argue that it has been done and that it is acceptable in places like Boston and NYC, not only for Madison Ave. professions but for law and banking. I would interrogate the people with whom one is meeting (for some residue of bourgeoise social climbing propriety or whatnot) more than I would the wearer of those shoes if there is a problem.

10. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

(Horace @ 11 Oct. 2004, 06:12) it was done by decidedly non-suburban, and most decidely non-up-and-comers in NYC and Boston during the glory days of white-shoe investment banking.
    What does this even mean? Did people actually wear white shoes to work? I can't picture it. Â "The glory days of investment banking"...? Huh...
    Just in case you aren't joking or pretending to be deliberately obtuse: white shoe firms refered to those old firms that were decidely WASP. "Glory days", half-joking refers to the 1980's. Which I mark, in a socio-economic sense, as sort of the last hurrah of a pre-democratized market.

11. Mike C.

Mike C. Well-Known Member

(Mike C. @ 11 Oct. 2004, 10:06)
    it was done by decidedly non-suburban, and most decidely non-up-and-comers in NYC and Boston during the glory days of white-shoe investment banking.
    What does this even mean? Did people actually wear white shoes to work? I can't picture it. Â "The glory days of investment banking"...? Huh...
    Just in case you aren't joking or pretending to be deliberately obtuse: Â white shoe firms refered to those old firms that were decidely WASP. "Glory days", half-joking refers to the 1980's. Â Which I mark, in a socio-economic sense, as sort of the last hurrah of a pre-democratized market.
    I wasn't joking... I'm only 22, I had no idea what you were talking about, thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

12. prinseugen

(prinseugen @ 11 Oct. 2004, 09:39)

Yes, certainly not the penny. And I wouldn't wear either with a suit; however, I would certainly argue that it has been done and that it is acceptable in places like Boston and NYC, not only for Madison Ave. professions but for law and banking. I would interrogate the people with whom one is meeting (for some residue of bourgeoise social climbing propriety or whatnot) more than I would the wearer of those shoes if there is a problem.
    As you say, Horace, it is certainly done by persons in the Madison Ave. advertising business, and by other professionals both in New York and Boston, but it is not appropriate, nevertheless. I am glad to note that you would never combine loafers with a suit. And rather than interview one's business contacts for clues--which is at best a non-starter--I prefer to come loaded for bear. Regards, Jack

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

I guess I have divided opinions on this topic. I generally do not wear loafer with a suit for business purposes, but do wear with them with a dark suit at night for dinner or leisure purposes.

14. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

I can honestly thank the stars that I'm in a field where I don't have to worry about these ridiculous restrictions regarding loafers with suits. My one pair of Lobb shoes is a loafer.

koji

15. prinseugen

Ridiculous restrictions? There is nothing ridiculous about propriety. And you are fortunate indeed to work in a field that allows you to freely express your preferences.

Jack

16. drizzt3117

I would venture a guess that 90% of businesspeople (and that number is probably closer to 98% west of the Mississippi) wouldn't cast a second glance at someone wearing dress loafers with a suit. I choose not to wear them during the daytime because of preference, but even mainstream national media is saying this practice is OK.

17. kidkim2

kidkim2 Well-Known Member

Yes. There must be a reason why tassel loafers are called "lawyer shoes."

18. prinseugen

Mainstream national media doesn't know s--- from shinola, and neither do 98% of the businessmen west of the Mississippi--but I deal with another breed of person altogether. And you know better, too, or you wouldn't be here in the first place. I agree that most businessmen anywhere these days haven't a clue about the rules of proper dress (and conduct, for that matter). We are different, however. And who crowned the majority decision in matters of style, anyway? We are individualists who care about rules that in some cases are no longer relevant. I'm proud of that fact.

Regards,

Jack

19. drizzt3117

I would agree with some of this, I think generally the average person and mainstream media perpetuate poor dress, but things do change as well, and I think some arbitrary "rules of dress" that may have been prevalent in the past don't necessarily have to be obeyed for someone to be well-dressed.

If I saw someone wearing a dark charcoal suit with a french blue shirt and coordinating tie and cufflinks, with beautiful brown/black dress loafers, I would probably think they were well dressed, even though I wouldn't use that ensemble myself.

20. prinseugen

Rules and taste don't necessarily converge, which is why spheres of influence should always be taken into account. A person can look all right, and still be light in his loafers.

Regards,

Jack