• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bruinsfan

Reaction score
Dear all,

I was wondering if people have the same problem when buying shirts.
When I am buying shirts, I have the problem that I can't button the top buttonhole because it just can't fit around my neck. It fits nicely around my shoulders and the rest of my body..
If I go a size bigger it is fine around my neck but the shirt is then to big for the rest of my body chest downward. Does anyone has the same experience? I am not a oversized guy but because of my sporting activities I got build this way.

please share it.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Made

To

Measure

welcome!

HarleyBob

Reaction score
I have the same problem and there is only one answer: custom or made-to-measure shirts. Sorry, but once you go custom, you'll never go back.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leave the top button open.

jstupple19

Reaction score
I too have this problem, but the best solution I've found (short of made-to-measure, which I can't afford :/ ) is to buy fitted or slim fit shirts a size up, because they'll normally fit around my neck but the slimmer fit in the body stops it from billowing out.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on how you're built try different brands and different cuts within the brands. You'll want something cut athletic and likely not something cut slim.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Same problem. I think less than 5% of my shirts fit my neck.
I almost choked when I have to button it to wear a tie during an interview.
So I have to wear a tie without buttoning the top button.

It doesnt matter most of the time since I wear shirts without a tie, and they are not overwhelmingly tight anyhow.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jstupple19
I too have this problem, but the best solution I've found (short of made-to-measure, which I can't afford :/ ) is to buy fitted or slim fit shirts a size up, because they'll normally fit around my neck but the slimmer fit in the body stops it from billowing out.

You might be surprised. There are a fair number of places online that do it pretty reasonably these days.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
You might be surprised. There are a fair number of places online that do it pretty reasonably these days.

Yeah, many of the fabric from places like TailorStore and MyTailor are only around £40 per shirt, which really isn't much. I'd rather have one £40 shirt that fits than two £20 shirts which don't.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here, i have had some luck with finding appropriate neck sizing's but in slim fit. It usually compensates for the shirt proportions. With a little tailoring to adjust the sleeves and hem, it might be cheaper than MTM. Just a though.

newbie123

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem
frown.gif
My neck is 16.5 but my chest is only 36-38''. Most of my OTR casual shirts don't fit in the neck (since I don't button them anyway) but fit very nicely everywhere else. With my dress shirts, I just have them altered and I use moderntailor.com.

bobbers

Reaction score
I prefer sizing up and being able to fasten the button than size down and not be able to. Maybe it's just me, but wearing it open with the two sides too far apart to ever meet, it draws attention to our larger than usual necks.

You can start looking into dress shirt brands that are slimmer fitting so that its not too billowy for your neck size. For me, Corneliani and Loro Piana work well.

Alternatively, I take billowy shirt to the tailor get the sides taken in. But this requires an additional expense and also a chance the tailor could mess it up.

Otherwise I go the MTM route; Jantzen or WW Chan.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member