• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shipton & Heneage Pelham Wholecut Sizing

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmm so I chatted with a rep again, and they agreed that for Cheaney country shoes, a full size down makes sense, but that for these, just a half size suffices. I also asked about volume of returns based on the half-size-down rule, and they've said that it's worked well for their customers, so I'm thinking perhaps just a half size down will do? Let me know if you have any thoughts!
Thanks.

I sized 1 full size down from my US size with my old Cheaney shoes. This conversion generally has worked for me; however, this may not always work for everyone.

markdc

Reaction score
Update: I sized down a half-size, and while the length is just about right the width is a bit much. The top of my foot, especially has a bit of a gap above it even when laced as tightly as possible, rendering the fit a bit loose.

The biggest issue for me, though, is the fact that the leather is a cherry brown-ish color, darker and more red-tinted that the pictures seem to indicate. (I thought I was going to receive a shoe that was going to be more chestnut/tan-colored). I think I'm going to send these back for good instead of getting an exchange...

Any other recommendations for wholecuts for under 500 USD? Thanks in advance!

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Update: I sized down a half-size, and while the length is just about right the width is a bit much. The top of my foot, especially has a bit of a gap above it even when laced as tightly as possible, rendering the fit a bit loose.
The biggest issue for me, though, is the fact that the leather is a cherry brown-ish color, darker and more red-tinted that the pictures seem to indicate. (I thought I was going to receive a shoe that was going to be more chestnut/tan-colored). I think I'm going to send these back for good instead of getting an exchange...

Charles Tyrwhitt has one made by Loake but personally, I would recommend going a different direction (i.e., Crockett & Jones, Alfred Sargent). The AS Hurst is a wholecut with a medallion and I think shoes in the Exclusive range goes for around $500 to $550.

lexmann

Reaction score

Gee, that worries me. Mine is on its way. Let's see how different the color would be. Any chance of posting a pic?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks! And you are correct.

I like the antique finish. Be careful with it though because unless it was dyed, it may come off or blend in. Personally I I like the look.

When you get the chance, it would be great to see how they look after about 4 to 5 wears to see how the leather holds up to creasing.

Last edited:

jakethepeg

Reaction score
Just to clear up the sizing issue.
Shipton & Heneage will send a shoe that is either half a size different OR a whole size different - it depends on your declared normal USA size. The typical American foot appears to be 'different' from the UK foot - more often than not - a narrower fitting. The US size D appears to be equivalent to the UK E - which is quite narrow, the Norm in the UK is probably F now.

Since there is no definition of each factory's width fitting (they are all different from each other) it is futile to try to say one size fits all - it doesn't. Different F fitting shoes fit completely differently even within the same factory's shoe styles - it is all about the last shape as well.

Much better to understand lasts and how it fits the majority foot. Consequently S&H will make an informed choice of whether to send you a half or whole size different depending on what you tell them and based on their knowledge of how the shoe fits and the last it is made on.

Always better to talk to them if you are concerned, they know their own shoes. No one wants to send out a shoe that won't fit, it wastes everyone's time!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads