• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Driving Up Prices?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Increase the price until supply meets demand....

I think it wise to raise pricing if the merchandise is flying off the shelves, they'll find a happy medium.

KPO89

Reaction score
I am an enterprising college student who does the same thing with JCrew(certainly not in the same league as Incos but same concept). Offering an item to the masses at a low price is sure to attract people seeking a profit. Its a good and like all goods has an optimum price point. When it is not at its optimum price point you will have to compete with people like us.

Secondly, I don't think its the retailers business what you do with any items after you purchase it. I don't believe they have a right to ask you what you are going to do with it. I've encountered this at the JCrew clearance store. I could be wrong but they don't have a legal right to know.

And lastly...anyone who has bought anything new on this forum agrees with me. I've seen people on this very thread who have purchased from me in the same scenario.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
What does Daffys give a **** if someone is "flipping" clothes? Nobody held a gun to their head and told them to price them that low. As long as they sell something at their asking price, they should be happy. There are plenty of stores that arent selling anything nowadays.

Im not sure that every single Daffys store in the US has people cleaning out Inco/Mabis, but if their office looks at reports and sees this brand is selling well, they would probably jack up the prices for the next batch to increase their profitability... at least thats what I would do.

It takes traffic away from them.

When I go shopping, I'm prone to pick up a few other odds and ends, not just what I primarily came for. And I prefer shopping in a store, not online.

If somebody comes in on day one and cleans them out, I'll stop going to a store that never has what I want.

A simple step would be to put a limit on sales per person.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KPO89
I am an enterprising college student who does the same thing with JCrew(certainly not in the same league as Incos but same concept). Offering an item to the masses at a low price is sure to attract people seeking a profit. Its a good and like all goods has an optimum price point. When it is not at its optimum price point you will have to compete with people like us.

Secondly, I don't think its the retailers business what you do with any items after you purchase it. I don't believe they have a right to ask you what you are going to do with it. I've encountered this at the JCrew clearance store. I could be wrong but they don't have a legal right to know.

And lastly...anyone who has bought anything new on this forum agrees with me. I've seen people on this very thread who have purchased from me in the same scenario.

Nor do they have a legal obligation to sell to you.

I believe it's totally a matter of economics. The stores were/are happy to see their Incotex pants leave, 1 at a time, for $50. When they see them leaving by the dozen at $50/each, and realize that someone is successfully reselling them for $75 . . . they realize that they have somehow miscalculated. They lash out at the resellers, but really are just pissed at themselves.

Now the stores may be in an Economics 101 pickle. Their long-term customers who have been buying the $50 Incotex pants for a few seasons may be unwilling to pony-up $75. They would view it as a greedy, unwarranted price increase. But plenty of iGents, who never see them for $50, are happy to pay $75.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by z7f9q
Department stores already deal with this by limiting quantities. You usually know when somebody's buying to flip items, just limit their purchase to a reasonable amount for personal use, or stop giving loss leaders. Put it right in a policy by the cash and it won't be a problem.

Ahh, yes. Free market at its best.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
They should have a customer mailing list with a presale for good customers. That's what the shops here do. If after the presale the common riff raff want to buy what's been picked over the shop is happy to sell it to them.
They do have an email list. It tells you about arrivals in categories (eg men's sportswear) and you can even find out when your local store got a new truck of stuff. But they never advertise brands. Possible reasons include contractual obligations and the obscurity of most of their brands. As a workaround, their longstanding ad campaign promotes the idea that savvy shoppers know good clothes even without famous labels.

Sprezzateur

Reaction score
This thread inspired me to walk the four blocks to Daffy's this morning. I picked up three pairs of decent Mabitex cotton pants that all fit great.
Funny, when I got to the counter the women checking me out offered up, "These Mabitex's are flying out the door."

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
I believe it's totally a matter of economics. The stores were/are happy to see their Incotex pants leave, 1 at a time, for $50. When they see them leaving by the dozen at $50/each, and realize that someone is successfully reselling them for $75 . . . they realize that they have somehow miscalculated. They lash out at the resellers, but really are just pissed at themselves. .
It's more then that. Sales are a way of advertising and attracting new business. It also brings in people who buy the sale item and something at full price. I doubt any of this applies to the people buying to resell. I'm tempted to buy Italian size 46 suits to resell but I'm too lazy to take the risk and effort
laugh.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
At this rate, pretty soon people might have to pay retail.

- B

Shhhhh!!!!!

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Increase the price until supply meets demand....

I think it wise to raise pricing if the merchandise is flying off the shelves, they'll find a happy medium.

+1. Welcome to capitalism, people.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
At this rate, pretty soon people might have to pay retail.

- B

ffffuuuu.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
It's more then that. Sales are a way of advertising and attracting new business. It also brings in people who buy the sale item and something at full price. I doubt any of this applies to the people buying to resell.

I'm tempted to buy Italian size 46 suits to resell but I'm too lazy to take the risk and effort
laugh.gif

At daffy's, the sale price and the full price are the same. pretty much.

Daffys is a discounter, not a full price store.

At the end of each season, the ragged remainder gets a clearance price, but the starting prices are so low that little merch makes it this far.

Sprezzateur

Reaction score
Daffy's side note (and maybe should get it's own topic, but): I saw a bunch of Paolo Verri shirts on the new arrivals rack that looked pretty nice. Some good colors and stripes. I've never heard of the brand before. Anyone know anything about them?

uluvbs

Reaction score
IMHO,
These flippers need to get a life and a (real) job.

Perhaps this is the reason Daffy's *used to be* my favorite store bar none. I would rave about it to people. In the past several months, I've noticed a tremendous decline in the quality of their offerings, and I assume I'm not alone(?). The flippers must be going there day in day out and buying all the nice stuff.

For example, I went to look at suits at the store on w18th today, and I would not wear any of them for free (and neither would you). I can't think of a single article of clothing I've come across since last summer that I wanted to buy.

I am agreeing with Cary Grant that it will result in decreased traffic to Daffy's stores.

Sartrolliast

Reaction score
Like Daffys gives a **** who buys their clothes. Do you think they will have an emergency board meeting to deal with the "Ebay resellers and Mabitex" crisis? Do you think a manager who suggests raising prices at a discount store will have a job for long?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads