• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
L'Inspiratrice by Divine today. This is my third time wearing this, and I'm liking it very much. Anyone who likes L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses should really try this. I actually don't like VdR very much, but the two are definitely related in that both are built around rose and patchouli. I'm not a big fan of VdR because I find it very matte, if that makes sense as a fragrance term. It's very earthy and dull. L'Inspiratrice has a strong dose of patchouli, and so it's definitely got an earthy feel too. But it's brightened up with some aldehydes, and that's what makes all the difference for me. It's also a bit sweeter than VdR. L'Inspiratrice is definitely on the feminine side, so much that some guys might not feel comfortable wearing it. Thankfully, that's typically not a problem for me.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Millesime Imperial By Creed, I like it but I dont think its strong enough. Do you guys have any recommendations? I want something classic, clean smelling but that gives you that wow impression.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Millesime Imperial By Creed, I like it but I dont think its strong enough. Do you guys have any recommendations? I want something classic, clean smelling but that gives you that wow impression.

Clean scents aren't my forte, but I'll give it a try. If you want to stay with Creed, I think Green Irish Tweed is a much better fragrance than MI. It's more well-rounded, with bright lemon, some violet, and a clean, woody base. (MI is clean in a high-pitched screeching way that I personally find unpleasant.)

I'd also recommend Kiton Men. It's not a classic "clean" scent, but it's bright, vibrant, and young. Like GIT, it's got a citrusy top, but the addition of pineapple gives it some extra character. There's a somewhat floral middle, again like GIT, and a woody drydown that is sweeter and more rounded than GIT. There's a bit of amber in the base. I like this one a lot.

Finally, I'd recommend a couple of Hermes: Un Jardin sur le Nil and Un Jardin sur le Toit. Both are bright, crisp, and fruity. Sur le Nil, I think, has more of a "wow impression" just because of the remarkably sour mango opening.

All of these last longer and project better than MI. They also smell better IMO!

I'm wearing Baudelaire by Byredo today. A sharply aromatic woody incense with a hint of sweetness emerging during the drydown. The sweetness comes from amber. When that sweetness emerged against the sharp incensey background, I literally said "wow" out loud. It was a very surprising juxtaposition that I thought worked wonderfully. I think Byredo has its share of subpar releases--Rose Noir and Fantastic Man jump to mind--but this one is really well done. (I also think Byredo's La Tulipe is wonderful.)

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Agreed re: Hermes Jardin series. Though we cologne junkies sometimes scowl, it's a nice scent and unique, while still being "clean." As well, all of my non-cologne junkie friends have always liked it when recommended.

Another for more evening time would be Fresh Cannabis Santal.

Other decent fresh unique scents would be a few from the Guerlain Aqua Allegoria series, including herba Fresca and Pamplelune. Flora Neroli is also nice, but the jasmine/floral opening may seem too feminine.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^Agreed re: Hermes Jardin series. Though we cologne junkies sometimes scowl, it's a nice scent and unique, while still being "clean." As well, all of my non-cologne junkie friends have always liked it when recommended.
Other decent fresh unique scents would be a few from the Guerlain Aqua Allegoria series, including herba Fresca and Pamplelune. Flora Neroli is also nice, but the jasmine/floral opening may seem too feminine.

That has been exactly my experience too. I've recommended Sur le Nil to a couple of non-perfumista friends and they've loved it. It's also the fragrance I've been complimented on more than any other. (Purple Patchouli comes in second, FWIW!)

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finally, I'd recommend a couple of Hermes: Un Jardin sur le Nil and Un Jardin sur le Toit. Both are bright, crisp, and fruity. Sur le Nil, I think, has more of a "wow impression" just because of the remarkably sour mango opening.
All of these last longer and project better than MI. They also smell better IMO!
I'm wearing Baudelaire by Byredo today. A sharply aromatic woody incense with a hint of sweetness emerging during the drydown. The sweetness comes from amber. When that sweetness emerged against the sharp incensey background, I literally said "wow" out loud. It was a very surprising juxtaposition that I thought worked wonderfully. I think Byredo has its share of subpar releases--Rose Noir and Fantastic Man jump to mind--but this one is really well done. (I also think Byredo's La Tulipe is wonderful.)

Maybe Im not sure how to describe what I am looking for. I want a unique scent but that is not a default...I dont want to smell like some guys that went to neimans and bought a cologne because the rep told him to buy it but at the same time I dont want to be on the other side of the spectrum. I dont want to drive a ferrari but I dont wan to drive a ford either, so give me a higher end Audi. Does that help? lol

thanks I am looking into buying the one Baudelaire by Byedo...I am a little nervous about the Hermes scent, I read a couple reviews where people said it smelled like steamed rice.... :plain:

Thanks guys I am going to look into them.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Maybe Im not sure how to describe what I am looking for. I want a unique scent but that is not a default...I dont want to smell like some guys that went to neimans and bought a cologne because the rep told him to buy it but at the same time I dont want to be on the other side of the spectrum. I dont want to drive a ferrari but I dont wan to drive a ford either, so give me a higher end Audi. Does that help? lol
thanks I am looking into buying the one Baudelaire by Byedo...I am a little nervous about the Hermes scent, I read a couple reviews where people said it smelled like steamed rice.... :plain:
Thanks guys I am going to look into them.

That helps a lot, actually. One very obvious recommendation would be Bleu de Chanel, but that's exactly the kind of scent that the SA at Neiman would recommend because it's a big hit. Same for Creed Aventus, I'd say. Given what you've said, I'd actually reiterate my recommendation for Un Jardin sur le Nil. I've got to admit, I can't even begin to imagine why someone would suggest that it smells like steamed rice!

Of course Rach's recommendations are very good too. (As always.)

I'm not sure the Baudelaire is what you're looking for, but it's still worth trying out. It's quite incensey and smoky, which isn't exactly the opposite of clean, but it's a very different vibe.
But speaking of Byredo, you might want to give Palermo a try. It's very citrusy, with the standout note being bigarade. (If you don't know, bigarade is a very, very bitter orange.) Byredo is a small Swedish brand that hardly anyone in the US wears, so you'd definitely have a unique scent.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That helps a lot, actually. One very obvious recommendation would be Bleu de Chanel, but that's exactly the kind of scent that the SA at Neiman would recommend because it's a big hit. Same for Creed Aventus, I'd say. Given what you've said, I'd actually reiterate my recommendation for Un Jardin sur le Nil. I've got to admit, I can't even begin to imagine why someone would suggest that it smells like steamed rice!
Of course Rach's recommendations are very good too. (As always.)
I'm not sure the Baudelaire is what you're looking for, but it's still worth trying out. It's quite incensey and smoky, which isn't exactly the opposite of clean, but it's a very different vibe.
But speaking of Byredo, you might want to give Palermo a try. It's very citrusy, with the standout note being bigarade. (If you don't know, bigarade is a very, very bitter orange.) Byredo is a small Swedish brand that hardly anyone in the US wears, so you'd definitely have a unique scent.

Thanks, I am now considering returning this one and trying something that you guys recommend. The first recommendation that the SA at NM gave me was Aventus lol. Do you know where I can get samples of the fragrances or smell them at least, I don't think that NM carries the Un Jardin sur el Nil or the Baudelaire. I wouldn't mind trying something "not clean", I turned to that simply because its what I have experience with. In your opinion does age matter when choosing?

Don't listen to Cupcake, or Rach for that matter. Hermes blows. Try out some new **** .

Give me some recommendations man, Im open to anything about now.

O also, when you guys buy perfume what causes you to choose the large bottle over the smaller one? Is their a way to get the cologne out of the large bottle (spray bottle) and put it in a smaller "sample" size bottle for when I travel?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Don't listen to Cupcake, or Rach for that matter. Hermes blows. Try out some new **** .

Hey, Francine, put up or shut up. :lol:

p.s. Speaking of different, today I'm wearing Patyka Chypre... a very classic chypre with a blast of geranium at the top. Not terribly earth-shattering, but very much as the name suggests.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks, I am now considering returning this one and trying something that you guys recommend. The first recommendation that the SA at NM gave me was Aventus lol. Do you know where I can get samples of the fragrances or smell them at least, I don't think that NM carries the Un Jardin sur el Nil or the Baudelaire. I wouldn't mind trying something "not clean", I turned to that simply because its what I have experience with. In your opinion does age matter when choosing?
Give me some recommendations man, Im open to anything about now.
O also, when you guys buy perfume what causes you to choose the large bottle over the smaller one? Is their a way to get the cologne out of the large bottle (spray bottle) and put it in a smaller "sample" size bottle for when I travel?

1. I'm not surprised that the SA recommended Aventus. That's been a huge hit for Creed.
2. I get my samples from The Perfumed Court. Others use Luckyscent.
3. Every Neiman that I've been to carries much of the Hermes line, including the whole Jardin series. I'd be very surprised if yours didn't. (You're in Texas, right? I only know the Austin NM, and I know they carry it.)
4. Byredo is hard to find in the US. I think it's Barney's that carries it. Every time I've purchased Byredo, it's been online.
5. Young people typically wear clean scents in my experience, and so they all tend to smell the same! But there are non-clean scents that aren't in any way "old-mannish." (That's a worry that lots of people have--that they'll smell like an old man. I think people vastly overestimate that problem.) Baudelaire is definitely not old-mannish.
EDIT: The large bottle is always a much better value than the smaller one. You get much more juice per dollar. There is indeed a way to get the fragrance into a travel size bottle. Others who regularly do decants will be able to give you much more reliable advice than me on that point.

As regards Rambo's post: no comment on whether my advice is best ignored. But you should NEVER ignore Rach's advice!!! I can't believe Rambo would even suggest such a thing as that!

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
CalTex - ok, first off, don't pay for samples. Not at the outset. Try and get as much **** as you can locally. I always stop by the fragrance counters every time I'm at the mall. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I almost always leave with something new. Next, try contacting the houses themselves. Make up some BS about how you're disabled and can't get out of the house, but would really love to try their new fragrances as fragrance has always been a hobby of yours. Then, before you go to TPC, stick with Aedes and Lucky Scent. Much better bang for your buck there.

As for houses to try - L'Artisan, Frederik Malle, Etat, Tauer, Maison Frederic, Tom Ford.

Personally, I think the best bang for the buck fragrances are the old YSL fragrances, especially the ones that Tom Ford did - M7, Live Jazz, Jazz, and Body Kourous. I can't believe I ever got rid of my BK bottle. Kourous and Rive Gauche are timeless as well. The best bang for your buck in the niche category is L'Artisan. Hands down. Almost everything in that line is $100 and there are at least 10+ fragrances that are very good to excellent.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, Rambo's right about samples: there are lots of avenues to try before paying for them from an online source. (I don't do it that way, but that's because I have a kind of stubborn pride that prevents me from asking or hinting for free things like samples. I sometimes forget that when I recommend sites like Perfumed Court to people.)

He's also right that The Perfumed Court is relatively expensive. Why do I use them? I don't know, just a long-standing habit I guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics