• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I want to try them but they're so ******* expensive that its almost not even worth it. $300 for a 3.4oz is just too rich for my blood.

Thanks

I tried the Divine and Idole before and liked them both but have since forgotten what they smell like. I'll report back once they come in. If I like the Idole we can work up a split.

Thanks for the suggestions Dane. Always appreciated. Willpower recommended the Antico Caruso a while back. The Mark Birley gets good reviews. What didn't you like about it?

Again, they all sound great, but they're so damn expensive its just not worth it. Maybe I'll splurge for a sample or two.

I found the Mark Birley rather...acrid. Sour, bitter, but not in a good way. Apparently Freddy Malle was part of the creative process though, so thats a good thing. Worth trying I guess, but not for me.

Wearing the Caldey Island Lavender (from Thomas)...good for headache-y days.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Mr. Blass today. Wanted to let some time pass before jumping in again.
How you liking it so far?
Originally Posted by Dane
I found the Mark Birley rather...acrid. Sour, bitter, but not in a good way. Apparently Freddy Malle was part of the creative process though, so thats a good thing. Worth trying I guess, but not for me. Wearing the Caldey Island Lavender (from Thomas)...good for headache-y days.
Interesting. Speaking of FM, their scents are now available at Aedes. I haven't inquired about samples yet but I hope they're going to be under the 7 for $15 program. If so it'll be a bargain.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How you liking it so far?

(...)

Well, I like it as a kind of bastard love child between Cuiron and Rocabar. It disappears a little too easily, and the atomizer kinda annoys me in that it diffuses the scent too much: More into the air, less on me. But I quite like it once you take those factors out of the equation.

Dane

Reaction score
Putain des Palaces for me today.

Who was wearing this the other day? Reminded me I had a neglected bottle. Nice stuff.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dane
Putain des Palaces for me today.

Who was wearing this the other day? Reminded me I had a neglected bottle. Nice stuff.

bigstar[1].gif

What's your take on this one? I have a really hard time describing it.

Chanel No. 5 for me today.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Today C&S 88. Girlfriend's assessment - "You have terrible taste in cologne, today you smell like a soapy funeral parlour, yesterday (greylands) you smelled like an elevator full of old ladies."
frown.gif
laugh.gif

Funny how my attitude is becoming, "who cares what some girl thinks if I like it." When the aim of cologne should be to attract a partner as opposed to repel them.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintoTerra
Today C&S 88. Girlfriend's assessment - "You have terrible taste in cologne, today you smell like a soapy funeral parlour, yesterday (greylands) you smelled like an elevator full of old ladies."
frown.gif
laugh.gif

Funny how my attitude is becoming, "who cares what some girl thinks if I like it." When the aim of cologne should be to attract a partner as opposed to repel them.

This is one of the points on which I tend to be inflexible. Perfumery is an artform like music or literature. Many of the most compelling works of music are very difficult to "get," at least at first. But it's not the job of someone like Boulez or Lachenmann to make works that are pleasing to anyone who might hear them. It's their job to create the best works by the norms internal to their craft. Likewise with perfumery.

Descending from soapbox now. (Soapbox smells a bit like No. 88.)

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today C&S 88. Girlfriend's assessment - " today you smell like a soapy funeral parlour"

I like No88, yet her description is pretty accurate.

Windsor for me today.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, I like it as a kind of bastard love child between Cuiron and Rocabar. It disappears a little too easily, and the atomizer kinda annoys me in that it diffuses the scent too much: More into the air, less on me. But I quite like it once you take those factors out of the equation.
+1 on all this. Its not the greatest thing in the whole world but its a nice solid man's scent. DEFINITELY worth $20
Today, btw - Cuir de Russie parfum. (Thanks Rambo!)
Is this your first wear of it? How did it work out?
frown.gif
laugh.gif

Send her my way. I can't stand either one of those frags.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
frown.gif
laugh.gif

hah, you're becoming one of us. Mrs. T wears Amarige sometimes, despite the fact that I find it revolting. Ideally we wear things our partner thinks are nice, but sometimes we're not on the same page.

No. 88 is nice but not something I'd buy a bottle of. It's a bit too mannered and genteel.

+1 on all this. Its not the greatest thing in the whole world but its a nice solid man's scent. DEFINITELY worth $20

Is this your first wear of it? How did it work out?

Send her my way. I can't stand either one of those frags.

The CdR was splendid and lush, lasted all day and is SO much better than the EdT (of which I have a split). I think CdR might work in the summer, despite my normal inclinations - it's that well-balanced.

Today: after running in a cold drizzle and dealing with a sick dog and a troublesome boy, I went with a heavy-blanket comfort scent: Chergui

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tabac Blond parfum for me today. I'd forgotten how wonderful this one is...

It's like what all the other funky leather scents (Cuir mauresque, Knize Ten, etc.) really want to be.
smile.gif

Also, remembered this discussion from WAY back on Basenotes where a guy somehow got a hold of the "recipe" for tabac blond. Pretty useless for mere mortals, but neat to see that there is no tobacco in Tabac Blond, but that the note comes from the combo of other stuff.

118 Perubalsam
118 Labdangum
114 Benzoe Siam
118 Vanillin
94 Cinnamonalcohol
59 Resinoid Olibanum
23,5 Amberoil (rectified)
59 Jonon
59 Moschus Keton
35 Patchouli
23,5 Rose Absolue
59 Phenylethylphenylacetat So.
35 Petitgrain Gr
23,5 Dimethylhydrochinon
47 Isoeugenol
14,5 Ambrette seed oil
_____

steviecakes

Reaction score
I'm in need of a recommendation.
I've been wearing Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme for years, and the bottle is finally running out.
It has an instant hit of citrus, but my favorite is the underlying notes of cedar and tobacco.
I'm looking for a fragrance that has less of the former, more of the latter, for a more err manlier scent I guess.
I know the most important thing to do is lurk this thread and browse various B&M stores and smell as much as possible, but any quick recs to get me started would be much appreciated.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Andy Warhol Silver Factory for me today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads