• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, when you only get three weeks of decent winter, you tend to treasure each chilly early morning run, each fire in the fireplace, each spicy scent you dare not wear during the summer months of February-November.

I've purposely left the lemony / fougere scents untouched for the time being in order to make some sort of dent on the winter bottles. There will be time for Pasha and PE and Signoricci, et al.

tangerine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
However, I suspect that the present formulation of Jicky has been "re-adapted" for modern audiences, which probably makes it less civetty than the original formula. It's certainly true of many of those old heady scents--Cuir de Russie, Fracas, Bandit, etc.

Alas! Even so, I like the "new-tered" versions better than most of the current crop of trendy focus-group-oriented fragrances.

Dec. 24th: in a fit of uninspired literalism, I am choosing this day to wear my sample of Caron Nuit de Noël. Since it is a classic Caron, I am assured of a deep, dark reverie, baroque, byzantine, ancient.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got Polo Explorer for Christmas from my girlfriend. It's one of the few scents I like enough to commit to. I got the huge bottle, as well.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tangerine
Alas! Even so, I like the "new-tered" versions better than most of the current crop of trendy focus-group-oriented fragrances.

Dec. 24th: in a fit of uninspired literalism, I am choosing this day to wear my sample of Caron Nuit de Noël. Since it is a classic Caron, I am assured of a deep, dark reverie, baroque, byzantine, ancient.

Often they do alter some of the fragrances, but it isn't ALWAYS just to make it more "appealing" to current customers. This is the case many times, but also it is because international law changes, as do supplies of certain raw essences, meaning that compromises have to be made. The demands/laws regarding parfumery in 1850 weren't exactly what they are today, so it's nearly impossible to recreate some of those old gems (especially a lot of the Guerlains, Creeds, Carons).

Real musk comes from ripping the glands out of deer... they don't exactly do that much anymore. Likewise, things like oakmoss and such aren't used like they were. SO, they change the recipes to accomodate.

For me, Bvlgari's White tea (Eau The Blanc... but for some reason I can't find the little accent thingy for the "e" on my keyboard). It's my favorite of the three Bvlgari teas. It is much softer, warmer, and more subtle than the other two (the Green tea is too fresh and CK-one ish, and the Red Tea is a little sharp).

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I got him this one:
hohoho003.jpg

For myself I liked Iris and Vetiver.

He really liked it.

tangerine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Often they do alter some of the fragrances, but it isn't ALWAYS just to make it more "appealing" to current customers. This is the case many times, but also it is because international law changes, as do supplies of certain raw essences, meaning that compromises have to be made. The demands/laws regarding parfumery in 1850 weren't exactly what they are today, so it's nearly impossible to recreate some of those old gems (especially a lot of the Guerlains, Creeds, Carons).

Real musk comes from ripping the glands out of deer... they don't exactly do that much anymore. Likewise, things like oakmoss and such aren't used like they were. SO, they change the recipes to accomodate...

Good points, all true. I was only thinking about how Chanel Cuir de Russie and Grès Cabochard , to name two, were allegedly made more floral and less animalic to accommodate a perceived change in the desires of their clientele.

Even in its current, prettified state, I find Chanel CdR to be my favorite leather out of all the ones I've tried; once the aldehydes evaporate, it gets down and dirty with just a trace of sweetness for contrast.

I hope that advances in science are able to give us a synthetic oakmoss that is close to the real thing (of course it would be better, IMO, if they simply decided it was ok to label parfums WARNING: CONTAINS OAKMOSS, kind of like they do with foods containing nuts.)

Back on topic: continuing to explore my Caron samples, today I will be trying out Poivre.

(Yesterday, Nuit de Noël was amazing, one of the best drydowns I've ever had the pleasure of huffing. Leather goes to vetiver and sandalwood, very close in fact to the smell of Chanel CdR in the drydown.)

edit: oh, for the accented characters, I use this lookup table.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Eh, I went with Hermes Rocabar but this is the last time I plan on using it this year. No mas.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Une Rose- scent of the day.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Sometimes I think we channel each other's fragrance preferences, Ren. Today, I was feeling a rose theme as well. It was a little cold for Aoud Queen Rose, so I opted instead for Voleur de Rose.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^Sometimes I think we channel each other's fragrance preferences, Ren. Today, I was feeling a rose theme as well. It was a little cold for Aoud Queen Rose, so I opted instead for Voleur de Rose.

Wonderful choice and one of my favorites in the L'Artisan line. That rose/patchouli is a brilliant combination as it reminds me of a rose garden after a good rain. Enjoy it!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Funny about your roses...I ran early this morning and the air was cool and crisp, with a drop here and there. I returned home and prepared for another day at work, where the highlight would hopefully be a root canal (denied!) to deal with a pesky tooth. I chose Ungaro III this morning, and walked into a damp, heavy morning. Perfect.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
Wonderful choice and one of my favorites in the L'Artisan line. That rose/patchouli is a brilliant combination as it reminds me of a rose garden after a good rain. Enjoy it!

Yeah, I love it as well. I just wish the longevity was a little better (a problem I certainly don't have with the Aoud or with tDC Rose Poivree). I put it on about 7:00 or so and now (by 10:30), it's all but disappeared.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
o.k.-- 26th Dec. I"ll be wearing another rose scent: Czech and Speake No. 88.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
o.k.-- 26th Dec. I"ll be wearing another rose scent: Czech and Speake No. 88.

How do you like that one? I've heard good things, but am reluctant to drop the $$$.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
How do you like that one? I've heard good things, but am reluctant to drop the $$$.

It's one of my favorite winter scents. It's rose but it's a dark and haunting fragrance. The top notes are bergamot but it's the rose/geranium/sandalwood that stands out on my skin. It's one of Czech and Speake's popular fragrances and the 88 was Tom Ford's signature scent before he started his own line. I guess we know where he got his inspiration from. Here's a link of some of reviews of this fragrance from basenotes:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121189&page=reviews

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads