• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Samurai lovers

beautiful_FrEaK

Reaction score
It will be quite hard to find that model and size though, if you don't know where to look.
The S0110XJ is currently out of production and has a successor, the S0110XJII which uses a different denim.

iwhelan

Reaction score
Hello,

For those of you who love Samurai denim but have other brands as well, what is your opinion on how well these jeans wear and hold up over time compared to the others? I guess it may be a tough question to answer since there are different types of denim, but on average?

Do Samurai jeans hold indigo and resist tearing just as good as other quality Japanese brands?

I'm not interested in getting crazy fades asap. I'm interested in quality denim that looks good over time and takes a while to get worn in. I am interested in the S0500XX, and currently have the Eternal 811 and Momotaro 201.

Thanks.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^1stly, congrats on the 811s & 201s__ pretty good taste & choice for start up pairs.

2ndly, Samurai uses one the widest/eclectic arsenal of denim in their production__ from fast to slow faders. you may have to check out in-depth on which models/denim combo you want.

as for the 500xx, they're not slow-fader, with respect to Momo or SDA or Fullcount__ if that's what youe meant by "..takes awhile to get worn in"]. nevertheless, they do hold their indigo very well, as comapared to Flathead or Warehouse [which were designed to get the quick fades].

the slubby texture of the Texas cotton in combo with the kind of indigo used to dye it will evo quite differently from what you've already got [... & experienced]. the cut/fit is also very versatile__ from comfort to slim-mish straight [if sized down].

bottomline, the 500XXs would be a fab addition to your collection/rotation.

Last edited:

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talk to the guys at BIG!! I asked for arctuates on my 710s and they found a pair... People gottta realize that the guys at BiG are AWESOME and super helpful.
aw man, thanks for the reply. everyone seems to have samurais with the back pocket stitching, but I don't see any on BiG with it

iwhelan

Reaction score

^1stly, congrats on the 811s & 201s__ pretty good taste & choice for start up pairs.
2ndly, Samurai uses one the widest/eclectic arsenal of denim in their production__ from fast to slow faders. you may have to check out in-depth on which models/denim combo you want.
as for the 500xx, they're not slow-fader, with respect to Momo or SDA or Fullcount__ if that's what youe meant by "..takes awhile to get worn in"]. nevertheless, they do hold their indigo very well, as comapared to Flathead or Warehouse [which were designed to get the quick fades].
the slubby texture of the Texas cotton in combo with the kind of indigo used to dye it will evo quite differently from what you've already got [... & experienced]. the cut/fit is also very versatile__ from comfort to slim-mish straight [if sized down].
bottomline, the 500XXs would be a fab addition to your collection/rotation.

Thanks for the reply. I love the Momotaros enough that I'm considering buying a new pair. I've had the current pair for 3 years and they've held up beautifully and look great. With what you said, I may want another pair even more. I like beautiful faded jeans as much as everyone else, but I don't mind if it takes a long time to get there.

I like the S0500XX cut because it's nearly identical to the Momotaro 0201. Just thought I'd try something different with a similar cut.

The Eternals I have had for 2 years and they're great as well, but I still prefer the Momotaros. Both jeans are size 31 and I have a 32 waist, and the fit is nice.

Thanks.

rascal2

Reaction score
Thought I'd post up some evo pics of my 710s. They are coming along extremely nicely. Def noticed this with my New Standards as well, but there seems to be a point in denim's life where the fades really start to build quickly. In the last few weeks it seems like the Sammies have entered this stage. The APCs took about 6-7 months to hit that "sweet spot" and here we are only 3mo in on these. These things are definitely fast faders, I was seeing some inseam wear in the first week.

Samurai 710XX Lot 14 TTS @W33
2x initial hot soak
1x initial hot wash
chain stitch hemmed to ~32

Got back from hemming on 12/23 and they've had almost continuous wear since then, so about 3 months and a week.

AnImp

Reaction score
Looking at ordering some Samurai denim- I know Momotaros are known for very little stretch, but how much is safe to guess at for samurais? I'm aiming for a slightly slimmer fit than my 0201s, but I need at least a 10.5-11 inch rise, and at least 11.5" thighs post stretch...

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking at ordering some Samurai denim- I know Momotaros are known for very little stretch, but how much is safe to guess at for samurais? I'm aiming for a slightly slimmer fit than my 0201s, but I need at least a 10.5-11 inch rise, and at least 11.5" thighs post stretch...

Generally, Samurai denim will stretch more than Momotaro denim, I've usually gotten 1-2" of stretch in the waist on most of the Samurais that I've worn, sometimes even more. I can't speak for the measurements you are looking for without knowing your general waist size, but I can say that if you want something slightly slimmer than the 201s, I would recommend the S5000 cut if you want something straight leg or the S0500 cut if you want a slightly tapered leg. The S710 is a popular cut and tapered like the 201, but IMO it is a lot slimmer of a fit than the 201.

AnImp

Reaction score
Generally, Samurai denim will stretch more than Momotaro denim, I've usually gotten 1-2" of stretch in the waist on most of the Samurais that I've worn, sometimes even more. I can't speak for the measurements you are looking for without knowing your general waist size, but I can say that if you want something slightly slimmer than the 201s, I would recommend the S5000 cut if you want something straight leg or the S0500 cut if you want a slightly tapered leg. The S710 is a popular cut and tapered like the 201, but IMO it is a lot slimmer of a fit than the 201.

I run about a 31.5" measured waist, though it fluctuates based on whether I'm cooking or my lady is, and I'm looking for something tapered I think- my shoes tend to get swallowed by straight leg. 710 and 500 look interesting, and I'll look into that...

johanm

Reaction score
The s710xx has the best cut and prettiest denim of any jeans I've tried. My experience with sizing is that the waist settles to tag size over time. Raw is 1" above tag, and after the first wash they stretch to the raw size. However, they shrink a bit with subsequent washes.

NoMoreBaggy

Reaction score
Hey I've been lurking here for a while now but this is my first ever post. I lost some weight and decided to get some nice new denim. My first time in BiG, I asked for Samurais because I love how the fades look and a friend has a stylin pair. After trying many pairs of denim on I decided on some Samaurai S003JP, the slim tapered ones. They fit my calfs better than another pair of brighter Samurais I liked better in appearance. 

So anyway I got about 3'' hemmed off and with a nice cuff the length is how I want them.  However I did not soak them yet... Should I have sized up in order to warm soak them? Or do I not need the water to be hot if if I like the fit, and I can soak them in cold water? I wouldn't mind a tighter thigh area but if the length shrinks too much I might have cut off too much denim right? Sorry for all that rambling. :D

ysb

Reaction score

Hey I've been lurking here for a while now but this is my first ever post. I lost some weight and decided to get some nice new denim. My first time in BiG, I asked for Samurais because I love how the fades look and a friend has a stylin pair. After trying many pairs of denim on I decided on some Samaurai S003JP, the slim tapered ones. They fit my calfs better than another pair of brighter Samurais I liked better in appearance. 
So anyway I got about 3'' hemmed off and with a nice cuff the length is how I want them.  However I did not soak them yet... Should I have sized up in order to warm soak them? Or do I not need the water to be hot if if I like the fit, and I can soak them in cold water? I wouldn't mind a tighter thigh area but if the length shrinks too much I might have cut off too much denim right? Sorry for all that rambling. :D

You bought from the store right? Did they advise you on how to size and how much to hem with shrinkage in mind? I'm kind of guessing so, since they're pretty helpful. Since you can cuff I'm thinking that you'll probably be fine after a soak, but if you don't want them to shrink too much just try not to use hot water when you soak/wash. The website doesn't mention how much they'll shrink

NoMoreBaggy

Reaction score
Thanks a lot ysb. I just read you can soak the jeans while wearing them to prevent them from getting too small so I think I'll try that a couple times.

beautiful_FrEaK

Reaction score
Yeah you can do that...but that won't help if the inseam gets too short. Although I think BiG knew what they were doing when hemming them before soak/wash

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads