• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Royal oxford vs oxford

treegarden

Reaction score
I was going to start a new thread about Royal Oxfords, but having found this one (even though most of it consists of the kind of personal sniping I hoped I wouldn't find here), I'll post my question. I've just taken delivery of my first order from MyTailor.com, and it includes a couple of Royal Oxfords. I'm wearing a white one today with a worsted suit, and can't decide if the textures are too dissimilar. Do you all think that Royals need a flannel or other cloth with more surface interest?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by treegarden
I was going to start a new thread about Royal Oxfords, but having found this one (even though most of it consists of the kind of personal sniping I hoped I wouldn't find here), I'll post my question. I've just taken delivery of my first order from MyTailor.com, and it includes a couple of Royal Oxfords. I'm wearing a white one today with a worsted suit, and can't decide if the textures are too dissimilar. Do you all think that Royals need a flannel or other cloth with more surface interest?

What is the collar? If this is a truly dressy business suit -- particularly if it's pinstriped -- then I don't think I would, regardless of collar. If it's a solid or a more fun pattern, like windowpane or glen plaid, then I would, but only with a point or spread collar, not buttondown.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How odd you revived this thread. Yesterday, I met with someone who runs billions of dollars. He was wearing obviously custom made clothes, though they were, in my opinion, awful. What I noticed, in particular, was that his he was wearing a royal oxford shirt in beautiful shades of blue. (It also had an absolutely terribly designed extra narrow spread point collar and a monogram on his sleeve, but that is neither here nor there). The fabric was very nice.

I thought of this thread but wasn't going to bother looking for it. Thanks for doing the work for me.

Edit: To treegarden: No. The shirt cloth can go with any kind of suiting, but let your eye be the judge. Some color shirtings might have too much going on to look good with some suits, but you should judge that when you get there.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by treegarden

i think the royal oxford's texture is alright both with fine worsted suits and with flannels. Interestngly, they may look a bit too refined for tweed. I would wear them with odd jackets made from finer materials such as cashmere, cashmere blends or plain worsted or worsted spun wool, silks and silk blends. I also might not wear this shirt fabric with cottons or linens. It has a city finess to it.

I am not aware of glen plaids or patterns in royal oxford but the color/pattern needs to be considered also when pairing a royal oxford with a suit.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I am not aware of glen plaids or patterns in royal oxford but the color/pattern needs to be considered also when pairing a royal oxford with a suit.

I was talking about suit patterns.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I was talking about suit patterns.

Oh. thatll teach me to look at posts while I am on the phone.

I think the royal oxford has become popular enough here in the States to beg stripes and perhaps checked or houndstooth patterns. I wouldnt be surprised.

Why do you think the royal oxford would not go with a dressy suit?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just don't care for it's bolder texture when paired with a pinstripe worsted. I'd reserve broadcloths et al for that.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I just don't care for it's bolder texture when paired with a pinstripe worsted. I'd reserve broadcloths et al for that.

I am not a big fan of royal oxford myself, not necessarily because of the fabric but because it has become the quintissential NY big shot shirt. I dont disagree with you that the pairing of royal oxford with the pinstripes or finer suits may not be optimal but close enough to not blow up the optical senses.

And like you, I prefer smoother shirt fabrics for worsteds.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I am not a big fan of royal oxford myself, not necessarily because of the fabric but because it has become the quintissential NY big shot shirt.

Leaving aside the inaccuracy of the bolded portion, shouldn't a style maven like you maintain a sovereign indifference to trends, and dress of yourself, by yourself, and for yourself?

tomflan

Reaction score
I was going to say "You can't make this stuff up," but apparently you can, and some do!

Regular oxford is as American as apple pie. I never see it in England, either worn or sold.

Everybody in England has an Oxford and many more regularly wear Pinpoints and Royal Oxfords. Your comment is embarrassingly uneducated.

woolymammoth

Reaction score
I am making a royal oxford button-down with the flowers material inside the cuffs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads