• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resume Help

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will be getting my degree in Marketing in two months if everything goes to plan. I want to start sending out my resume to places in the next two weeks so I really need to piece together a resume. I want to get an entry level job at a video game developer so it would be something in PR, community management, marketing, or sales; I have done an internship in college at a marketing firm and won an recognition award from the school board here for presenting them a marketing plan. I also worked while going to college paying for my way, because of that my resume isn't that great but I have some stuff. My question is what's the best way to go about building one? Just open microsoft word choose a template and type away? Should I change my resume for each job I am applying to?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my resume advise is to separate your words into small paragraphs so potential future employers actually read it.

Last edited:

southbound35

Reaction score
One thing I've done in the past is to look up the job descriptions of the job(s) you're looking for. You seem pretty open to position, but specific to industry. In that case, look up job descriptions in that industry, regardless of position. Start cutting and pasting into a Word document. After about 10 cutting and pastings, you'll start to see a pattern of 3-5 characteristics that all companies in your field are looking for. Refine your resume to say how you epitomize those 3-5 characteristics with examples.

If you're two months away from graduation, you should be further along in the process. Does your school not offer job placement/job fairs/interview and resume help?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Don't even bother. You won't get the job. You're a MARKETING major, and you just came to an internet forum to ask how to sell yourself in Microsoft Word, as if you didn't go to school for 4-5 years to learn exactly that. You're better off walking to your nearest cell phone store because you'll be selling phone accessories until the day you die.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn dude.. a bit harsh, if not douche.

Last edited:

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'm doing him a favor. This sort of dependence is just ridiculous and it will lead to embarrassment at some point. Better now than later.

He needs to put himself in the video game company's shoes. They want to connect products to consumers. To do this, they're going to hire someone who spent 4-5 years learning how to do that, leaving with an ability to think on their feet towards those ends. One of the most fundamental tasks that one should leave marketing school with is the ability to prognosticate an employer's response to a product (his skills) through the manner he might intend to sell them (his resume). If his initiative consists of asking people "So, should I like.....just start typing ****?" then he either didn't learn a damn thing, or he's overestimating Styleforum's ability to give constructive advice, but either way, at no point will a video game company want a person who showed that dependence in such a rudimentary test of acquired knowledge. It's not like there are people on a men's fashion website that should be more capable than he is about how to write his name and some of the stuff he's done.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I completely agree with your sentiment and argument, but I'm just commenting that your first response was not the best way of delivering that message.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
No, I think StephenHero's tone is dead on. There's not enough of calling people up on childish, lazy bullshit these days.

Coldsnap, how the hell do you expect people to tell you essentially how to type a ******* resume? Get real.

You think you deserve to be paid a salary out of hard earned profits when you aren't even prepared to think about how to write a Word document to get employed? Seriously? After a degree in marketing?

What the **** have you been doing?

dacia1300

Reaction score

No, I think StephenHero's tone is dead on. There's not enough of calling people up on childish, lazy bullshit these days.
Coldsnap, how the hell do you expect people to tell you essentially how to type a ******* resume? Get real.
You think you deserve to be paid a salary out of hard earned profits when you aren't even prepared to think about how to write a Word document to get employed? Seriously? After a degree in marketing?
What the **** have you been doing?

he's been copy pastaing

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads