• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

restaurant dress codes: reasonable or pretentious?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread is
baldy[1].gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
I do. But it's not an 'excpetion for religion' thing. Since the no hat rule is a religious convention to begin with, I believe that it has no place as a mandatory part of society. For me, the difference lies in the formality of the hat.

But the "OMG nO hats EVar!" attitude has got to go. Hats, as with clothes in general, have degrees of formality. If you're in a restaurant that permits t shirts and shorts along with the inevitably baggy NFL jerseys and sagging jeans, a baseball cap should not be an issue. In fact, it may look much more respectable then the rest of the getup. If you're in an establishment that requires a coat, a baseball cut would not cut it, but I would have no problem with a fedora or a nice tweed cap.

If the saints jerseys were acceptable, the hat should have been too.

You'll excuse me if I don't fully buy into your religious argument without some clear documentation? I've seen at least one person, who has a long and fairly intelligent (if somewhat irascible) posting history here offer contrary explanation.

Also, this whole thing for me, breaks down more to the establishment's right to determine what parameters they will do business under.

blackderbyhat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
. No, shoes do not always stay on the floor, and they most certainly track mud, dirt, salt, and water all over the house, including into places where people do eat.

I'll slide it downhill for you

invaders_mat_door.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads