• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resources and Books on starting your own Business

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm embarking on a backpacking trip in a few weeks but when I return in August I will be starting a small business. Right now I'm conducting research into the market which I would be entering. When I return I will setting up a job shadow and "internship" with a few companies to educate myself about the environment I'm entering and how organizations of this type function. My question is are there any resources (books, organizations, websites) you guys could point me to for helping me get the business off the ground? I'm mainly looking for information on accounting basics, tax and hiring information and regulations.

I have previous experience with starting up non-profit organizations (in a university setting) and working in large corporate environments but very little experience in starting a small for-profit business. Any wisdom or lessons would be greatly appreciated. Yes, I am aware that most small businesses fail within the first few years of inception. But in my mind you can't be afraid to fail or you'll never suceed. Thanks for anything in advance.

A.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Aaron,
I'm not sure if Canada has a Small Business Association but I would use them or download from the US site alot of useful information. There is also a division called SCORE which is a voluteer group of retired executives that coach individuals. Fortunately my coach was a retired retailer which made understanding my endeavor that much easier for me.
I also downloaded information from American Express Open which has a Business plan guide that I found even more comprehensive than SBA.
My banker was of great assistance to me and forming a strong relationship there has been very helpful.
We are now about to celebrate year two and things look pretty good. We have played real smart about how we have done everything and will put off a new car for another year or two. I think thats were most get in trouble with overspending on things that are not important to the health of your cash flow.
Best luck to you and if you have any questions from a Bootstrapper, please feel free to call or pm me.

Best Regards,

Gary

"VOTE" www.cbs4boston.com/alist PLEASE!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads