• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation for great reweaving....

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I get a recommendation for a tailor that does a great reweaving job, for an expensive italian sportcoat? A friend of mine needs to mail it to someone with great skills.

Thanks.

lisapop

Reaction score
A few resources in New York which come highly recommended are French American Reweaving, which has been in business for something like 75 years or so, 212.765.4670; Fashion Award Cleaners, 212.289.5623; and then there's the grand dame of reweavers, Alice Zotta, who's been a fixture in NY longer than dirt (If she's still around), 212.840.7657. If you're out of town, you can ship your garments to them.
Grayson

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
"without a trace", which has a website and is supposedly one of the best.

geosync

Reaction score
I had a suit that needed work and took it to Without a Trace. I was interested in how the process was done, so they let me watch while they did some items. Even played with the owners dog, Krammer. The work I saw was good. However, I left my suit, and called about week later, to see if I could pick up the suit early, since I would be in the area. They told me the damage was worse then they thought and would have to do a patch instead of a reweave, and they were going to call me to see if I wanted to go ahead with the repair. ( A patch is visible.) I don't know how long they planned to wait before calling me. I had them do the patch anyway, and they did a good job. The business seems to be growing, so I would stay on top of them if you are under a time constraint.

lisapop

Reaction score
Glad to hear the legendary Alice Zotta is still alive and kicking, and weaving, which just might mean she's been around since even before dirt.
Grayson

demo5

Reaction score
I use French American Reweaving in New York 119 West 57th Street Room 1406 New York, NY (212) 765-4670. The owner is Ron Moore, and when he sees the garment he will always tell you that he can never get it 100%, never the way he would like (unless it is a pinhole in a solid black sweater), yet, on even the most complicated patterns I have extreme difficulty ever finding the repair. I can't recommend him highly enough.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few resources in New York which come highly recommended are French American Reweaving, which has been in business for something like 75 years or so, 212.765.4670; Fashion Award Cleaners, 212.289.5623; and then there's the grand dame of reweavers, Alice Zotta, who's been a fixture in NY  longer than dirt (If she's still around), 212.840.7657.  If you're out of town, you can ship your garments to them.
Grayson
I've used French-American Reweavers. Good job on suits. Not badly priced. I paid a little less than US$100 for a small hole in jacket. Seems expensive, perhaps, but when suit was expensive and fit me very well, hated to have to give it up. For those who are counting, it'd probably be more "trad" to just leave the hole and continue wearing jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads