• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasonably priced, Good Quality Classic Chinos

vikke977

Reaction score
The best chinos I have found are made by Rota and sold only by Michael Jondral. This is an exclusive model for Jondral and it takes inspiration from officer chinos, while still keeping the overall feel polished enough for styles that are not full-on repro. What makes them great is the combination of the excellent quality of Rota and a more classic fit; they have a good rise and a straight leg. They are also 100% cotton. Almost all other Rota chinos are – altough very well made – low rise, skinny legged and made out of blended cotton – i.e. very Italian. NMWA has a solid selection of wide-legged Rotas but they are almost all pleated easy-pants.

This season Jondral carries khaki and navy:

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
O'Connell's makes great cotton trousers in various colors, some varied weight options, and they're available in short, reg and long rise. They'll even ship them hemmed plain or cuffed in a matter of days.

I'm not sure what qualifies for reasonable priced, but I'm in love with the fit and feel of my sport chinos from The Armoury. The cotton is incredibly soft and has a pretty nice crease resistance considering how much I wear them.

At least for dress slacks O'Connells short rise is too long for me. My guess is that chinos would be the same.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
For « reasonably priced, good quality classic chinos » the best I found were the Uniqlo « Vintage regular fit ». Good cut and material, especially for the price ($40).
Sadly they are discontinued.
IMG_7878.jpeg

Matty2Ts

Reaction score
I've recently bought a couple of pairs from Spoke London.

I have a 35" inseam and 27" thighs so it's tough to find a pair of any trousers (never mind chinos) that fit well off the rack.

I like the full cut of their chinos and the Sharps are dressy enough to wear with a jacket. They're pretty light at 7oz but they're the best fitting chinos I've found.

They do cords, linen, and wool trousers too so I may explore those. I have, however, heard poor reviews of their denim.

Kopiokosong

Reaction score
Do you mean Uniqlo's current chinos don't have a vintage fit or the same material?
It used to be a staple item all year round, but it seems like they’ve slowly stopped restocking it regularly and only keep the slim cut version around.

I checked my purchase history and the last time I purchased it was way back in January 2022.

Purchased the regular fit in January 2023.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best chinos I have found are made by Rota and sold only by Michael Jondral. This is an exclusive model for Jondral and it takes inspiration from officer chinos, while still keeping the overall feel polished enough for styles that are not full-on repro. What makes them great is the combination of the excellent quality of Rota and a more classic fit; they have a good rise and a straight leg. They are also 100% cotton. Almost all other Rota chinos are – altough very well made – low rise, skinny legged and made out of blended cotton – i.e. very Italian. NMWA has a solid selection of wide-legged Rotas but they are almost all pleated easy-pants.

This season Jondral carries khaki and navy:
These are not reasonably priced!

oucheebooboo

Reaction score
I've recently bought a couple of pairs from Spoke London.

I have a 35" inseam and 27" thighs so it's tough to find a pair of any trousers (never mind chinos) that fit well off the rack.

I like the full cut of their chinos and the Sharps are dressy enough to wear with a jacket. They're pretty light at 7oz but they're the best fitting chinos I've found.

They do cords, linen, and wool trousers too so I may explore those. I have, however, heard poor reviews of their denim.
Long inseam? Large thighs?

wbh750

Reaction score
Would anyone have a thought on where to find or what brands make this style of chino? It appears to have a somewhat high waist, with a straight narrow leg.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 9.08.38 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 9.08.38 AM.png
    190.1 KB · Views: 143

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just the thread I need ! Thanks for all the suggestions. The O'Connells look promising.

My go to used to be Bills but their price has now gone over the 2 level so I'm looking for alternatives.

A reasonable option used to be the J. Crew 770 in 100% cotton but sadly now they make these only with stretch fabric. Tried the Classic Cut in 100% cotton but the fit was pretty unflattering.

Just ordered the Jack Donnelly 100% Cotton Made in USA. Let's see how these work out

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can I get some recommendations for heavier chinos that have a crease?

Also, how do people get chinos cuffed? I see some have a permanent cuff. How do they do it?
I get the Brooklyn Britches (more casual of the two lines) from Ben Silver. Long rise, pleats, and very heavy twill cotton. I take them to a tailor to have them cuffed with the waist nipped in.

They sell winter and summer weights.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
90% of mine are from Incotex, great quality fabric with slim tapered fit. Above all, my all time greatest is Big John slim tapered -made in Japan bought from NMWA about a decade ago. I really want to add more pairs but not the washed looked versions the brand is making these days.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamstom