• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

270 grams, or 9.5 ounces. 10 inches.

Oh, alright. Then mine isn't too heavy I guess.

A bit off-topic, but god damn, I love Thomas Keller. My copy of ad hoc just arrived, and I can't believe I've never read this in any other cookbook. I figure a lot of people do this wrong so here you go.
When you make a salad, he says to season everything separately. For some things I was already doing that. The thing I wasn't doing and that was an instant revelation as a huge improvement over what i was doing, was not to pour dressing on the salad after everything was in the bowl, but to pour a bit around the side of a bowl with just the leaves present, and then to toss, so as to get an even amount of dressing on each leaf.
What a simple but brilliant technique to obtain good results every time and not end up with a pool of dressing if you overdo the dressing, which i'm now ashamed to say I have been guilty of at times.
Modernist Cuisine is arriving on a separate ups truck this afternoon. Can't wait! :slayer:

Post pics of your meals in WDYELNFD!

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those even mildly interested in ice cream check out Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream book. I have some pretty major books on the topic but this is by far my favorite. Her technique is interesting (midway between old and new school) and the flavors are right on. Texture is amazing.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those even mildly interested in ice cream check out Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream book. I have some pretty major books on the topic but this is by far my favorite. Her technique is interesting (midway between old and new school) and the flavors are right on. Texture is amazing.

that's interesting. i tested a couple things from it and was just not in love. maybe i'll try some more.

alexg

Reaction score
On the topic of ice cream, is there any possible way to replicate a Pacojet at home? I'm not really in the mood to spend a few thousand dollars on a fancy ice cream maker, but the EMP cookbook has a buffalo mozzarella ice cream I really want to try.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On the topic of ice cream, is there any possible way to replicate a Pacojet at home? I'm not really in the mood to spend a few thousand dollars on a fancy ice cream maker, but the EMP cookbook has a buffalo mozzarella ice cream I really want to try.

that recipe appears to have enough sugar and fat that you could do it in a normal ice cream maker. so instead of chill-->freeze-->pacotize, it should be okay to go chill-->spin in a regular machine.

alexg

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look into trying it normally. Maybe I'll try taking advantage of the email address they put in front of the book actually. Or use this as an excuse to go there and ask in person. Yeah, that sounds like a better idea.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I ate at Jaleo last Friday. Jose Andres tortilla is a little different than what I'm used to. Most tapas places I've been to serve it cold and very deep (almost like a quiche with no crust). At Jaleo, it's a hot omelet made ala minute.

What intrigues me about it is that he somehow manages to make it so that the egg completely surrounds the potatoes and onions in a perfect disc (not like a traditional omelet that's been folded, and not like a fritatta where there is potato and onion suspended at various levels).

Anyone know how to accomplish that?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A bit off-topic, but god damn, I love Thomas Keller. My copy of ad hoc just arrived, and I can't believe I've never read this in any other cookbook. I figure a lot of people do this wrong so here you go.
When you make a salad, he says to season everything separately. For some things I was already doing that. The thing I wasn't doing and that was an instant revelation as a huge improvement over what i was doing, was not to pour dressing on the salad after everything was in the bowl, but to pour a bit around the side of a bowl with just the leaves present, and then to toss, so as to get an even amount of dressing on each leaf.
What a simple but brilliant technique to obtain good results every time and not end up with a pool of dressing if you overdo the dressing, which i'm now ashamed to say I have been guilty of at times.
Modernist Cuisine is arriving on a separate ups truck this afternoon. Can't wait! :slayer:

noob :nest:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yeah I am a bit worried about going straight from the salad dressing revelation to modernist cuisine... :confused: Salad dressing isn't exactly cooking...

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah I am a bit worried about going straight from the salad dressing revelation to modernist cuisine... :confused: Salad dressing isn't exactly cooking...

and modernist is? :nest:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is a 36 hour sous-vide veal shank distinguishably better than a traditionally braised veal shank?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is a 36 hour sous-vide veal shank distinguishably better than a traditionally braised veal shank?

Without ever having eaten it, I would say they are different rather than one is better than the other. Try it out and see which one you prefer.

Last edited:

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what he said, since i'm assuming that you're not doing it for convenience.

since you're going for such a long time, i'm guessing you're planning to use a pretty low temperature, so you have to decide what kind of texture you're looking for to decide which way will be "better".

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Without ever having eaten it, I would say they are different rather than one is better than the other. Try it out and see which one you prefer.

Yeah, I guess that's what I meant. I haven't "braised" anything in a water bath yet. And certainly I've never cooked anything for 36 continuous hours, so I don't really know what kind of results I'll be getting. But I guess I'll just have to try it to find out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads