1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLester

DLester Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  2. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Well-Known Member

I'm fairly slim. all of my suit pants are altered to 7" or slightly under.

Gonna check those suggestions out, thanks!

3. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Well-Known Member

Contemplating pulljngg trigger on 700 doll hair pair of pants from ssense. Would need to order two sizes to make sure of fit. Wonder when sales are popping up...

4. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

If I recall, sometime around July or August is when SSENSE has their sales.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  5. APK

APK Well-Known Member

That guy was on Shark Tank and it was a total disaster.

1 person likes this.
  6. Abraxis

Abraxis Well-Known Member

Yup just went to ssense and sorted pants by highest to lowest in price to try to figure out what pants made from doll hair look like. Went from 795 -> 650+ dollar pants looking at thumb nails and name to see if one seemed doll hair-ish.

Then did a google site:ssense.com doll hair for good measure. Then I read your post again and actually got it. *getting it fail :(*

7. baltimoron

baltimoron Well-Known Member

Just watched it. That was painful

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I personally think that you have to be stupid and/or desperate to make a pitch on Shark Tank. It seems like a great way to not get funded and also get humiliated on nationally syndicated television. Also, it seems like a terribly unfair program. Nearly every good idea has a ton of holes, and the trick is figuring out if the core concept is sound, and whether the people have what it takes to make a go of it.

1 person likes this.
  9. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Having gone through the whole process of seeking capital multiple times and still regularly do, I would say you have to have your shit locked down before even thinking about going to investors, these people get maybe 50 cases a week, so yours NEED to stand out.

There are firms, who deal in raising capital and they only get paid, if they are successful, so you are sort guaranteed succes, if they go in, but most of them want somewhere in the 300k range.

10. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

Is there something about English, not being one's first language, that leads to excessive use of commas? It seems most common, among Europeans.

I've always wondered, why that is.

2 people like this.
  11. stafa

stafa Well-Known Member

Until this last season, the producer was given 5% equity or 2% royalty on operating profits just simply for being on the show. I imagine for some of companies, the exposure might have been worth that price, but it also screws over a lot as well. But that exposure could lead to better sales and/or different investors who may be willing to cut a check.

12. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Well-Known Member

Heheh. It's a pair of Kolor pants, just tried to buy both sizes and for some reason it declined. It's a sign to not buy at ssense's stupid markups

13. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Yes. There is. I discovered so when I started working in the US. We Europeans use long sentences. These sentences are structured with commas. Americans don't. They use short sentences. Few commas.

16 people like this.
  14. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

Commarosa virosa is very common in Europe

15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Who's the enabler now? You post these cool pix in fucking sweet jacket… now I want one. :happy:

1 person likes this.
  16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I am 99.999999% sure that I would not think that it's worth it. There is a lot of potential and unknown downside, and the upside seems highly limited. I mean, I suppose that if they were regularly backing in the $5-$10M range for 5% equity, yeah, sure, I'd give it a shot, but given (certain) grief and offered $500K for 75% of the company seems like it's not worth the risk. That is angel investment money. Not even a half decent first round of funding. I think that going to San Francisco and going hat in hand to Y-Combinator, which has a good track record of successfully mentoring companies to maturity, would seem like a much better step.

17. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

Strunk and White advocated for concise sentences devoid of redundancies. And thus, American English came to be.

18. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

I've also learned that some languages include spaces before punctuation , which always looks weird to me .

also

You got Strunked!

2 people like this.
  19. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

@gdl203, the link was cut off.

the ****** = karma l oop without spaces

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.