• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why can't brands maintain consistent sizing? How does a Bleu de Paname coat fit me in a large with a bit of room to spare yet the overshirt that arrived today also in a large measure up about 4" too small? :(

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
has anyone (not sure if its in the usa) been to the store aritzia?

was doing some xmas shopping and was impressed by some of the other in-house lines they carry besides TNA. silk/crepe/chiffon shirts, drop crotch silky pants...etc

told the sa that theres not anything like this for men and she recommended jack and jones :uhoh:

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Why can't brands maintain consistent sizing? How does a Bleu de Paname coat fit me in a large with a bit of room to spare yet the overshirt that arrived today also in a large measure up about 4" too small? :(

This is also related to whatever123's comment about designers being able to make stuff just because some other designer brand makes stuff- you guys gotta realize that those name brand designers don't actually design anything, right? They hire lots of talented kids and often task them with different work, and factories often have their own in-house patternmakers and graders. In these kinds of situations, could just as easily slap a different tag on the piece and call it something else.

Last edited:

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is also related to whatever123's comment about designers being able to make stuff just because some other designer brand makes stuff- you guys gotta realize that those name brand designers don't actually design anything, right? They hire lots of talented kids and often task them with different work, and factories often have their own in-house patternmakers and graders. In these kinds of situations, could just as easily slap a different tag on the piece and call it something else.

I get what you're saying, but it's as bad with small operations as the big guys.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
it'd take immense control, pretty much one mind, to make a whole line of clothes that fit spot on per tag size, regardless of style. And then on top of that, it'd be constant maintenance work, as most stuff gets repatterned constantly..... on the other hand, there is a general ballpark and textbook set of measurements for a given style of garment that designers can fall back on. THey usually don't because that info would be outdated and the fit would look as much.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My research lab director has 6 undergoing researches and she hasn't been in her office for last 6 weeks :embar: All done by the unpaid college underlings but her name gets to be on the first place

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I rented The Tempest last night, mostly because of the movie stills that I had seen. What a ******* terrible movie. I made it through only the first half hour because the acting was horrible, as were the sets and effects. It was a good lineup of actors, but it seemed like it took all of their abilities to simply recite the lines. Has anyone ever seen a Shakespeare movie that they've actually liked?

Yes. Prospero's Books. It's unbelievable. John Gielgud as Prospero, and it features the most incredible opening sequence of maybe any movie ever. It is seriously fantastical, though, and also a serious WTF movie for the first half, at least. The masqued spirits ball is incredible, however, and Caliban is otherworldly-amazing. The film has some of the most incredible costume and set design I've ever seen.

The tempest is my favorite play, and the magus is my favorite book, and this film is the only one I've seen that I enjoyed.

I'll risk showing the video here, but it's not as good when it's not big (once the music starts is when it really comes alive; the film has an amazing soundtrack):

WARNING: MAY BE NSFW

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Oh, and Zissou; don't watch it with your little daughter. There are perhaps more naked people in this film than any I've ever seen.

I really hate Romeo and Juliet, but I do have a soft spot for Baz Luhrman's film version, despite the actors. It makes much more sense to me than the play, because it all plays out like one gigantic drug trip. If you haven't seen it, you should check it, for cinematography alone (pretty much the only reason to watch)

Last edited:

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get the censorship in this kind of movies.
I have a dozen VHS of Shakespears but my parents threw away the machine to play them so I'm pretty much screwed :confused:
Do they have the old recordings in DVD at all or is it that my college library sucks in their selections?

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think that there's a massive collectors editino DVD of Prospero's books...(or you can torrent)

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just introduced coworkers and boss to MTM shirts (cottonwork, blank label, modern tailor etc.) and Suddenlee, opened up pandora box?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

just introduced coworkers and boss to MTM shirts (cottonwork, blank label, modern tailor etc.) and Suddenlee, opened up pandora box?

about 8 years into the game they will say, 'man, wouldn't it be great if all clothes came MTM - like casual leather jackets or something, for example?' :fu:

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My brother just got home for Christmas. He brought me a bag filled with Uniqlo socks and underwear. Best and most needed gift this Christmas.

_yoo

Reaction score
been wearing my raf bombers 5 days a week lately, material-wise they're the least lux outerwear in my wardrobe but definitely the fav and most comfy :tounge:
is the one in this pic from old season though (no pocket on left arm)? but then i don't remember fw10 have it in black..
MgkKK.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads