• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
exactly what I was looking for, thanks dude. I was checking out the Alinea website earlier, looks grand but I can't spend that much.
what neighborhood are you going to be staying in / hanging around? I could probably provide some less $$$ restuarant recommendations. I mean nothing wrong with the restaurants named but they're all big name expensive/tourist-ish places, there's lots of good restuarants out in the various neighborhoods of the city that are pretty damn good and much less expensive than alinea etc Also, I heard Gamma Player is closed (though the brand is still going) Edit: yep, http://www.chicagoreader.com/TheBlog...g-gamma-player +1 on Intelligentsia

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
There is some fine dining to be had in chicago.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meis, I don't know where I'm staying yet, but I'm arriving Friday night and will be around the north side on Saturday evening. In between I have a while to explore.

flyindarkness

Reaction score
Why the **** is all 3 american denim company (levis, lee, wrangler) only releasing their premium **** outside of american?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some man on my bus wearing a barbour jacket, prince of wales check suit with huge trouser cuffs, contrast collar ****, c&j belgraves and a hat was looking at me and smiled at me. I think he was from MC.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
foolz tryin 2 step 2 drew =
facepalm.gif

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Due to being a small guy and losing weight my shirts need a box pleat or serious darting especilly in the mid-back area. Slimming it down from the sides isn't working. My understanding is that back darts are simple, tailoring 101. So it shouldn't cost more, correct? Is that the same for a box pleat?

I ask because I went to a new tailor because I moved and they seemed really hesitant to do it. To the point that it seemed like they didn't know exactly what I was asking for. Granted there was a slight language barrier, the place is actually pretty nice and gets some glowing reviews.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with slimming down the sides?

DeadDJ

Reaction score
It's hard to explain. I just took in a BD to get slimmed down and around the stomach/waist it fits fine. However, on the mid/upper back, it blouses out like mad, especially when tucked in. Perhaps this was their fault and they need to take in more around the chest/pit area of the shirt but when they were pinning it, I saw them taking in fabric in that area.

I'll immediately admit I have no real idea what I'm talking about, hence asking here. I just normally don't have this problem with shirt fit before and after tailoring.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's weird. Do you have a shirt you like the fit of that you can have them copy? That's what i've been doing and it's worked great.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
That's the worst part. Since I've been working out, my best-fitting shirt doesn't fit anymore
ffffuuuu.gif

coldforge

Reaction score
I'm currently wondering about the best way to make a cologne out of Saphir Renovateur. Maybe simmering a small amount in some water to skim out the solids?

...Actually, maybe the opposite would be better. Maybe if I chilled it, it would separate.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ You should probably just find a tailor that will do it for you. Some tailors are more hesistant to do certain jobs than others.

If the shirt is baggy at the top try and have him take up the darts as high up the back as he can. Taking in from the sides at the top of the chest can be harder to do because of the armholes.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
It's hard to explain. I just took in a BD to get slimmed down and around the stomach/waist it fits fine. However, on the mid/upper back, it blouses out like mad, especially when tucked in. Perhaps this was their fault and they need to take in more around the chest/pit area of the shirt but when they were pinning it, I saw them taking in fabric in that area.
Did they just take it in on the sides? If so, that's the danger of having it slimmed on the sides rather than darting all the way up to the yoke. Edit: Yeah, just read your previous posts. What happens when you take a shirt in more than a little on the sides is that everything is slimmed only from the pits down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads