• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
My main point is that to do either a cool MC look, or a cool SW&D look takes practice and work. They both have their own set of rules, and neither is just a cake walk.

As far as I'm concerned, SW&D has one rule: look good. It's not like we have a recipe for success here; that's why guys as diverse as Asobu, Willy, and Synthese all get love. People are trying to say that it's harder to pull off a good fit when there's so little in terms of guidelines.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
But it can so often result in a fail of epic proportions. There are equally as many ugly ties as there are ugly T-Shirts, for example. It is just as easy to say something to the effect, "throw on some selvedge and a hoody and you have a solid SW&D look" is it is to say a suit is paint by numbers.
Disagree - The thing that makes MC difficult, to the extent it is, is the lack of forgiveness in terms of fit. Everything needs to be within a half inch margin of error. Once you've got that set, a modicum (seriously, a modicum) of taste is all that's really required.

I can go to the mall across the street and walk into BBBF, or the Tom Ford section of Holt's, or Ermengildo Zegna, etc etc, and pull any of a dozen nice suits off the rack, conservative or not. A tailor will then alter it for me so that it fits perfectly - granted I have to give them a few instructions as to how I want my break, but if they know what they're doing they can make it look good for me. I can then buy a reasonably flattering-cut shirt from one of a handful of brands by checking the definitive slim fit shirt guide in MC. Getting a decent tie is not hard - sure there are lots of ugly ones but I bet I could find one for any given outfit within 30 seconds at Harry Rosen - and a white linen PS from Kent Wang is a 20$ paypal payment away. For shoes, once I know my size, a dark brown pair of C&J / Lobb / Alden / Tramezza / etc etc etc (literally on and on and on) captoes or semibrogues or wholecuts basically can't fail. Belt match the shoes match the (understated but high-quality) briefcase, and we're good to go.

Now all of that probably cost me a good $10,000.00. Instead, go try to spend that 10 g's at Darklands or something and see if you can make something good happen. I guarantee it will take a lot more thought and effort and is far more likely to result in FAIL than the above. It's also a lot more likely to produce FAIL than me walking into Roden Gray with a quarter of that amount.

I suppose my point is, if you've got money to burn, making MC look good takes a bit of effort - but your likelihood of fail is pretty low unless you're KitonBrioni. On the other hand, you can throw piles of cash at the kind of stuff that's enjoyed here (and there is a broad array of it) and really, really easily screw it up.

bryanayrb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Disagree - The thing that makes MC difficult, to the extent it is, is the lack of forgiveness in terms of fit. Everything needs to be within a half inch margin of error. Once you've got that set, a modicum (seriously, a modicum) of taste is all that's really required. I can go to the mall across the street and walk into BBBF, or the Tom Ford section of Holt's, or Ermengildo Zegna, etc etc, and pull any of a dozen nice suits off the rack, conservative or not. A tailor will then alter it for me so that it fits perfectly - granted I have to give them a few instructions as to how I want my break, but if they know what they're doing they can make it look good for me. I can then buy a reasonably flattering-cut shirt from one of a handful of brands by checking the definitive slim fit shirt guide in MC. Getting a decent tie is not hard - sure there are lots of ugly ones but I bet I could find one for any given outfit within 30 seconds at Harry Rosen - and a white linen PS from Kent Wang is a 20$ paypal payment away. For shoes, once I know my size, a dark brown pair of C&J / Lobb / Alden / Tramezza / etc etc etc (literally on and on and on) captoes or semibrogues or wholecuts basically can't fail. Belt match the shoes match the (understated but high-quality) briefcase, and we're good to go. Now all of that probably cost me a good $10,000.00. Instead, go try to spend that 10 g's at Darklands or something and see if you can make something good happen. I guarantee it will take a lot more thought and effort and is far more likely to result in FAIL than the above. It's also a lot more likely to produce FAIL than me walking into Roden Gray with a quarter of that amount. I suppose my point is, if you've got money to burn, making MC look good takes a bit of effort - but your likelihood of fail is pretty low unless you're KitonBrioni. On the other hand, you can throw piles of cash at the kind of stuff that's enjoyed here (and there is a broad array of it) and really, really easily screw it up.
i think you're overexaggerating it a bit.. if you can't walk in a gothninja base with 10gs and come out in a passable all black drapy errthing outfit then you fucked up bad if someone KNOWS how to dress then they know how to dress. it's as simple as that. all the sick posters you see on here aren't steezy cause they have $ to drop on jawns but because they know their size as well as what aesthetic suits them. chances are, those same people know how to wear a suit too.. maybe not on the same level as the MC dudes and in some cases maybe not even acceptable by their standards either (dior suits..?), but no one but the most sartorially inclined will notice. i think there was a discussion a while back about what these people would look like in <$300 peasant outfits and it was generally agreed that they could still look good cause they have an understanding of fit, colour and cohesion streetwear is more personal and interesting to look at than different variations of suits and includes many more subcategories these days. MC is a very unforgiving box where your suit either fits in or stays out. both cater to different niches and to try and compare them isn't really fair to either party

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People who consistently ask sizing questions without measuring themselves beyond height and weight piss me off.

Buy a ******* tape measure. Hell, use a piece of string and measure it against a ruler. Or at least knowing your suit size makes so many things easier.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to do a thanksgiving day fit battle, what we're wearing to show thanks.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
I want to do a thanksgiving day fit battle, what we're wearing to show thanks.

Yo you never PMEd me back when I was in town. It was straight though. We balled out of control at the Jane.

Scooba

Reaction score
Damn, I ordered a pair of jeans from OakNYC on Monday night and they are already waiting for me at home.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
^ And yet they still manage to mess it up pretty often.

I'd like to see their reaction to the suits young professionals wear in places like Japan or Europe. Everything would be "wrong" according to their narrow rules -- black (gasp), pants too tight, jacket too short, etc

Well yeah exactly, but in the MC suiting subculture, that stuff would be wrong. They have a very rigid set of colors and proportions that look "right" to them, a few brands that hold value, and a worldview and personality ideal. The reinforcement of the forum only makes their viewpoint more rigid (as SW&D does to me when I'm up at Hinterland U).

There's nothing wrong with being in such a picky subculture; there's everything wrong with assuming you're the only ones who are doing it right.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GlenCoe
That was supposed to be a serious question
LabelKing, PG, some of the fits that guy with the beard does. There are more but I am lazy.

I like a lot of MC fits, I just can't really participate in it because I'm too small and poor and I live my life like it's some decade other than 1950.

Originally Posted by hendrix
haha, this is so annoying. Old men fail at internet.

Man eventually wordless telepathy is going to be the preferred mode of communication, and all the youngsters in their fresh ass Mongolian Punk ("M-Punk") furry hats and spacesuits are going to be laughing about how we try to add hashtags to all our emotional sublayers and prearticulated queries.

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think my favorite is Spoopoker (think thats his name) he goes hard and does his own thing.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
Man eventually wordless telepathy is going to be the preferred mode of communication, and all the youngsters in their fresh ass Mongolian Punk ("M-Punk") furry hats and spacesuits are going to be laughing about how we try to add hashtags to all our emotional sublayers and prearticulated queries.

laugh.gif
Good ****...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads