• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wttm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Dumb.

You're gonna be that guy who is a peasant and only has one nice thing trying to floss to the world. They'll probably talk about how you went into debt copping it too behind your back.

I will never be in debt and starve myself just so that I can afford some nice clothes, but I don't think its dumb to have THAT jacket you can always go to. I have tons of pieces that are very similiar and I would really want to narrow down to a couple of pieces that I truly love and will wear all the time, peasant or not. Of course, not everyone is as balling as you that is fortunate to splurge on whatever you desire clothing wise.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I suspect the people who feel more comfortable lounging in shorts and t-shirts rather than jeans and button-ups tend to come from the balmier regions of the country.

+1

The main reason I lounge in tees and bball shorts instead of jeans/button-ups is that while I live in what is damn far from being a 'balmy' region I have no control over the heat in my apt during the winter which results in me having to sit around in shorts unless I want to be dripping with sweat. If my place kept the same temperature as my school I'd just stay in the jeans and oxford/etc that I was wearing the rest of the day.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
That's why you buy two big, good pieces a year - one in winter, one in summer. Something really high quality that you know you won't ever regret.
That's good advice. That's actually how I want to be in a year or so.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I find expansive montages in the WAYWT excessive and frivolous when not done in moderation. Once in a while is fine, but I really don't need to see one every day or several times a week. The impact becomes diluted after so long.

I'm new here (long time lurker) so I don't want to step on toes, but I wholeheartedly agree with this. Sometimes it's as though I stumbled onto someone's facebook page.

On another note, I was rather depressed to read Thom Browne is not coming out with a cheaper, 'classics' line.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a weird question...My brother is playing the role of captain hook in an upcoming play and wants to buy a "nice" hook. Anyone know where he might be able to pick one up?

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding the clothing as a costume and masculinity/androgyny/femininity discussion from a few pages back, my feelings align with the idea that it all is pretty much a mask. I mean, I don't think much can really be described as genuine as manmade constructs are by definition not natural. This being said, I somewhat romanticize these things as ones attempts to appear one way or another speak (or rather seem to speak) about their self. I feel like the choice of a piece is both personal and yet very distant. A scent for example takes on a meaning that is unique for everyone. Although it has seemingly distinct characteristics (for example it might smell masculine or feminine), the scent has the meaning which the wearer's memories compose. It is an attempt at expression which although viewed by others, really has no meaning to them. All this being said, my style is fluid, not always masculine, but never actually feminine. I like toying with the idea of androgyny but I don't wish to appear feminine. This is not to say that I wish for others to necessarily perceive me as being masculine or feminine, it is more that I wish to portray myself in such a manner. Sorry to ramble, it's a topic that I like and it'd be better if I actually put my thoughts together a bit more logically.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
Regarding the clothing as a costume and masculinity/androgyny/femininity discussion from a few pages back, my feelings align with the idea that it all is pretty much a mask. I mean, I don't think much can really be described as genuine as manmade constructs are by definition not natural. This being said, I somewhat romanticize these things as ones attempts to appear one way or another speak (or rather seem to speak) about their self. I feel like the choice of a piece is both personal and yet very distant.

Yeah, I don't worry about an "aesthetic" too much, I just buy clothes that seem to speak directly to me.

A scent for example takes on a meaning that is unique for everyone. Although it has seemingly distinct characteristics (for example it might smell masculine or feminine), the scent has the meaning which the wearer's memories compose. It is an attempt at expression which although viewed by others, really has no meaning to them.
Smell is the most subjective of all the senses. What is heavenly to one is unpleasant to another, and when a scent is unpleasant, it is unpleasant in a far more visceral and invasive way than music or art we may find unpleasant. That's why when I bought cologne, I bought the one that seemed to have the most democratic appeal. I don't know if it topped any lists in the "Name your top 10 fragrances" thread, but it was present in a great many of them, so that was my criteria for purchasing it.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
This is a weird question...My brother is playing the role of captain hook in an upcoming play and wants to buy a "nice" hook. Anyone know where he might be able to pick one up?

Galliano.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
fe_oct_09_01.jpg

fe_oct_09_02.jpg

fe_oct_09_05.jpg

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Other SF-approved items I don't quite get the love for:

- Most Red Wing boots: Not from a function standpoint. But I've seen few models that actually make think, "Wow. I want those." Most just look chunky or kind of tacky with the white stitching.

- Filson: I'm gonna catch hell for this, but it's another case of function over form. I'm sure the bags are tough as hell, but they look pretty ordinary for people to fawn over them so much.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I'm convinced that DECEMBER is going to ask at least one question about every jean ever made before the dust settles.

I mean, god damn.

Lachy

Reaction score
I don't need anything right now. There isn't anything that I'm immediately lusting after (though a few items on the sale radar). But I want to buy something!!!

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With my recent increase in income, I think Ill focus more on high quality stuff that are exactly right, not just as good as it gets in the thriftstore. Just ordered some expensive cords, next is probably a Barbour Beufort. And some good quality shirts.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Other SF-approved items I don't quite get the love for:

- Most Red Wing boots: Not from a function standpoint. But I've seen few models that actually make think, "Wow. I want those." Most just look chunky or kind of tacky with the white stitching.

- Filson: I'm gonna catch hell for this, but it's another case of function over form. I'm sure the bags are tough as hell, but they look pretty ordinary for people to fawn over them so much.

My reasons for loving Filson:

-I love the simplicity; I would never want to carry around anything more 'designer'. Nor could I still feel like a man if I did.
-Durability
-Overall aesthetic
-Price, to me they are relatively inexpensive
-Made in USA

Love them things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads