• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
An atypical opinion, but obviously not heresy - you didn't sat they were bad, just that they're not for you.

For the record though, you're wrong.

:) To add to the record, i own both islay and coniston :p . They are nice boots. But overly hyped here on SF. So while i like them and own them, I'm not a huge fan either

BurgundyOxfords

Reaction score

:) To add to the record, i own both islay and coniston :p . They are nice boots. But overly hyped here on SF. So while i like them and own them, I'm not a huge fan either
It’s interesting. Just that half bellows tongue that is missing on the regular islay would make a difference, but it has to be an option w/ a mark up at CJ, where its standard at other boot makers

JTMD

Reaction score
Not much into black shoes but these C&J Langham braided tassel loafers see a decent amount of action. Found them for a bit under $300 on clearance around 10 years ago..also got their lovely burnished tan twin at the same time and price...but still not comfortable pairing tan shoes for some reason and have worn them much less often than the black.
20240330_153001.jpg
20240330_174951.jpg
20240322_142637.jpg
20240322_142626.jpg

Last edited:

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
It’s interesting. Just that half bellows tongue that is missing on the regular islay would make a difference, but it has to be an option w/ a mark up at CJ, where its standard at other boot makers

Glad to see you adopted my suggestion of going with half bellows tongue on your new tan islay GMTO project. Bravo.

BurgundyOxfords

Reaction score
Not much into black shoes but these C&J braided tassel loafers see a decent amount of action. Found them for a bit under $300 on clearance..also got their lovely tan twin at the same time and price...but still not comfortable pairing tan shoes and have worn them much less often than the black since I got both around 10 years ago.
View attachment 2159235 View attachment 2159237 View attachment 2159241 View attachment 2159239
Man, mountain lake side background makes these look even better!

Last edited:

JTMD

Reaction score
Indeed..the background sure adds a bit. Still a few shadows on the shoes though. Need to work on my photo skills. 😅. I guess I could bring them outside..but can't really have all the neighbors thinking that I'm even weirder than they originally thought 🤪

Last edited:

JTMD

Reaction score
Not much into black shoes but these C&J Langham braided tassel loafers see a decent amount of action. Found them for a bit under $300 on clearance around 10 years ago..also got their lovely burnished tan twin at the same time and price...but still not comfortable pairing tan shoes for some reason and have worn them much less often than the black.
View attachment 2159235 View attachment 2159237 View attachment 2159241 View attachment 2159239

Hmm..not sure I've ever mentioned where I live on this forum. Lucky guess? Well thought out deduction? Are you on other forums as well? Or perhaps my memory is slipping and I have mentioned it? 😅🤪😆

BurgundyOxfords

Reaction score
Hmm..not sure I've ever mentioned where I live on this forum. Lucky guess? Well thought out deduction? Are you on other forums as well? Or perhaps my memory is slipping and I have mentioned it? 😅🤪😆
Luckey guess. I thought architecture and mountain contour gave it away … could ve been Italy and Austria as well.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the ankle belt is useless and not attractive either. Nor it feels actually part of the boot. Personally not regretting this model.

I think the ankle belt is attractive, the problem was that it was completely ill fitted to the actual use of strapping anything as it is grossly over sized out of the box. Even a cobbler who did a slip-shod (seriously: screw that guy) on it, still made it more useful, but it's just too long of a belt to begin with.

I am actually thinking of getting the belt replaced with just a more reasonably sized one to begin with.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Is it just me, or do others find C&J laces on the Islay too short? By the time you swerve up all the speed hooks, there's nothing left of the laces to tie.

JTMD

Reaction score
Switserland. Interlaken?
I don't mind divulging the country..but given scams nowadays I think I'll avoid narrowing it down too much on the public forums 🤪. I figured everyone would be too enthralled with the shoes to play Poirot with the background ..damned if 3 of you haven't partially pinpointed me . Let's just say that a 4 hour train trip will get me to the location listed in your profile..but no..not interlaken. Anyone that's interested can PM me..who knows.. maybe we find a few people and meet in Zurich to drink beer and talk shoes. 😁

Last edited:

BurgundyOxfords

Reaction score
UPDATE: Islay tan scotchgrain MTO

My take: Keep in mind a single MTO is 300 GBP on top of 595 GBP + 50 for half bellows tongue = 945 GBP prior to price hike. Of course a Roughout Suede GMTOs were about 100 GBP cheaper due to the leather.

Ms. Alex V. Just sent me the Price brackets

“The price for this GMTO (inclusive of VAT) would be as follows:

£687 + 50 with a minimum of 6 participant.

£657 with a minimum of 10 participant.

If you all decide to make this Islay with half bellows tongue, the would be a surcharge of £50 for pattern change.”

Excluding VAT for non UK participants the price has to be divided by 1,1667

6 participants 589 GBP excluding VAT
10 participants 563 GBP

With the tongue option 632 GBP for 6 participants
And
589 for 10 participants exclud. of VAT.

pricing is getting out of control

BurgundyOxfords

Reaction score
UPDATE: Islay tan scotchgrain GMTO

My take: Keep in mind a single MTO is 300 GBP on top of 595 GBP + 50 for half bellows tongue = 945 GBP prior to price hike. Of course a Roughout Suede GMTOs were about 100 GBP cheaper due to the leather.

Ms. Alex V. Just sent me the Price brackets

“The price for this GMTO (inclusive of VAT) would be as follows:

£687 + 50 with a minimum of 6 participant.

£657 with a minimum of 10 participant.

If you all decide to make this Islay with half bellows tongue, the would be a surcharge of £50 for pattern change.”

Excluding VAT for non UK participants the price has to be divided by 1,2

6 participants 573 GBP excluding VAT
10 participants 548 GBP

With the tongue option exclud. of VAT
614 GBP for 6 participants
And
589 for 10 participants

pricing is getting out of control

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads