• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually looking to clear out the closet a bit and thinking of ditching my UK 10 brown rough out Coniston. About 10 or so wears. Reach out if interested.

BurgundyOxfords

Reaction score
IMG_7016.jpeg

RA92

Reaction score
Hi. I am normally a size UK5.5E in C&J 341 last. I have Arden, Westfield, Overton, Sydney & Bradford shoes in this size, and all of them fit perfectly. I ordered C&J Audley shoes via their website in size 5.5 UK last year. I understand these are on a 337 last, which is a bit narrower at the toe box, and I was very aware that they pressed against my toe and also felt tight at the top of my foot above the big toes. I tried to “break them in” for a month but they just didn’t loosen off, and I was unable to return the shoes because I had worn them.

I then ordered two custom-made pairs of Audley, but on the 341 last like the rest of my shoes from C&J that fit perfectly. I received them a couple of months ago. I tried them on a few weeks ago for the first time, but they are still too narrow, and seem to fit similarly to the Audleys J have on the 337 last, even though these new pairs are supposed to be on the 341 last.

I’d be most grateful of your thoughts on this. Do the style marking on the inside of the shoes contain the last that the shoes are made on? I’ve attached the style markings in case anyone is able to decipher them.

The old pair have the following style code: 29447 5 1/2 E ST588755001.

The new pair of the same colour have this code: 59447 5 1/2E SP81889002

I have reached out to C&J for their thoughts. I now have three pairs of Audleys (two of which are special orders) which are unwearable as they are too narrow.

Many thanks!

Aurdelon

Reaction score
The C&J Madeleine store, is certainly worth a visit. I reckon Upper Shoes, has the largest offering with a french influence around. Check them out, while in town (oh, and JM Weston and Paraboot too!).
Enjoy your stay.
Checked website of JM Weston and Paraboots but there was nothing that would interest me.
Upper shoes and their C&J offerig seems on the other hand very interesting. Especially their Onslow in Cordovan. Too bad there is no interest in such a derby on #375 last in any leather. WOuld jump on that GMTO in a moment. It is pity they discontinued that model.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@RA92, sounds like a really bad and annoying experience. Can't figure out why the custom made pairs don't fit. I have a pair of Audley on the 337 and the code is 29447.

EDIT: before thinking of selling them, you could see whether a cobbler could widen them to some extent.

Tom Kyle

Reaction score
@RA92 - I would recommend buying a shoe stretcher. Length- and width-wise shoes may be stretched considerably. Up to 0.5 inch length-wise should be possible. I am not sure how much wider shoes can be stretched, but it should suffice to make you feel comfortable when wearing your shoes. Insert the shoe stretcher, expand them as far as can be (do not use too much force), leave them in for a couple of days.
I am thinking of a model like this one: https://www.langer-messmer.de/Lange...MIsJGPvpeKhQMVlmdBAh1pgQGbEAQYASABEgLNwPD_BwE

Last edited:

mxgreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checked website of JM Weston and Paraboots but there was nothing that would interest me.
Upper shoes and their C&J offerig seems on the other hand very interesting. Especially their Onslow in Cordovan. Too bad there is no interest in such a derby on #375 last in any leather. WOuld jump on that GMTO in a moment. It is pity they discontinued that model.
Not in France, but Japanese website frame.jp has a lot of interesting C&J makeups.

Aurdelon

Reaction score
Not in France, but Japanese website frame.jp has a lot of interesting C&J makeups.

Some of the derbies there seems really nice.
I have noticed that they use different lasts for a Japanese market. 210, 232... Have anyone of you ever heard of those lasts? I could not find them on the Last Guide on the C&J website?

mxgreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not my shoes but it's such a good deal that I think the SF community should be made aware - NWB C&J Peebles faux cap-toe derby in Russian grain leather - size UK10.5E - BIN price of $320 + $7.61 shipping. Seller is also taking offers.

Last edited:

jellyroller

Reaction score
Not my shoes but it's such a good deal that I think the SF community should be made aware - NWB C&J Peebles faux cap-toe derby in Russian grain leather - size UK10.5E - BIN price of $320 + $7.61 shipping. Seller is also taking offers.

I just saw this listing too. If they were 8.5, I wouldn’t have hesitated to buy them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads