• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Marmite89

Reaction score
Cross posting in Tricker’s thread, taking a poll:

Tricker’s Bourton in espresso or Crockett & Jones Pembroke in dark brown wax calf? View attachment 2150505 View attachment 2150507
I vote Pembrokes…
IMG_5919.jpeg

Marmite89

Reaction score
Ha ha! Nearly but not quite:

Back row:
C&J Tan Scotch Grain Pembroke on Dainite [the oldest, my OG’s, not far off needing a re-sole]
C&J Cardigan IV DB Shell on Dainite [on 335 last]
C&J Pembroke Bugundy Cavalry Calf
Front row:
C&J Pembroke Whiskey Shell on Dbl Leather
Polo RL Marlow “Cigar” Shell on Dbl Leather [on a US 10D vs my usual UK 9]
C&J Pembroke Black Cavalry Calf [bought these dead cheap to try a half size down]
C&J Pembroke DB Scotch Grain

jellyroller

Reaction score
Ha ha! Nearly but not quite:

Back row:
C&J Tan Scotch Grain Pembroke on Dainite [the oldest, my OG’s, not far off needing a re-sole]
C&J Cardigan IV DB Shell on Dainite [on 335 last]
C&J Pembroke Bugundy Cavalry Calf
Front row:
C&J Pembroke Whiskey Shell on Dbl Leather
Polo RL Marlow “Cigar” Shell on Dbl Leather [on a US 10D vs my usual UK 9]
C&J Pembroke Black Cavalry Calf [bought these dead cheap to try a half size down]
C&J Pembroke DB Scotch Grain
This is great. Thanks for sharing. I especially like the dark brown and whiskey shell. Your dark brown scotch grain looks much lighter than in stock photos - more like a reddish brown / burgundy.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Islay tan scotchgrain GMTO proposal:

365 last
colour: tan
leather: scotchgrain
sole: Ridgeway
tongue: half bellows tongue

Image source jeffersons ltd
That's a solid spec, I'll be in for it; as someone mentioned if you haven't already, you should probably head over to the C&J MTO/GMTO thread with your proposal.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
You are correct Sir! Missed that, I like fudging but is not a dealbreaker if we don’t want to get the fudging.

really like the colour of the welt though.

I also find the existing combination of 4 exposed eyelets with 5 speed hooks a bit too much of 'speed hooking'. For me the combination of 6 exposed eyelets and 3 speedhooks makes the boot look more refined and proportioned (yet still functional for speed hooking). But hey that's personal taste

BurgundyOxfords

Reaction score
I also find the existing combination of 4 exposed eyelets with 5 speed hooks a bit too much of 'speed hooking'. For me the combination of 6 exposed eyelets and 3 speedhooks makes the boot look more refined and proportioned (yet still functional for speed hooking). But hey that's personal taste
It’s like as on the standard Islay. when I first got my Islay I appreciated that there are 4 eyelets while the rest is speedhooks because on the boots that I have with only eyelets its a pain getting in and out of each boot. Well 5 eyelets look probably more dressy, that’s true.

Marmite89

Reaction score
This is great. Thanks for sharing. I especially like the dark brown and whiskey shell. Your dark brown scotch grain looks much lighter than in stock photos - more like a reddish brown / burgundy.
It’s an interesting observation, and one I’d agree that they are more at the reddish side than the stock dark brown. My Islay that are the same leather and are nearly 10 years old are now a lighter shade too. Similar observation with the Tan Scotch Grain, but I can trace the reason for those being darker and redder than the stock tan and that will be down to using darker creams on them.

At some stage I need to thin the herd a bit, I wear my Dainite soled Pembroke’s a bit less these days, usually when the weather is damp I’m in boots, but when drier I’ll be in the leather soled variants.

Marmite89

Reaction score
You are correct Sir! Missed that, I like fudging but is not a dealbreaker if we don’t want to get the fudging.

really like the colour of the welt though.
I think sticking with a more standard stock spec will make securing the interest of participants that bit easier. Welt as per the photos you posted should suit the majority, and I would stick with the standard Islay make-up of 4 eyelets and 5 speed-hooks.

From what I can see we already have 4 interested participants.

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
Islay tan scotchgrain GMTO proposal:

365 last
colour: tan
leather: scotchgrain
sole: Ridgeway
tongue: half bellows tongue

Image source jeffersons ltd
I am in on that GMTO but, strangely, can no longer edit the google MTO spreadsheet. Could you please put me on the list? I am an UK11E. And I vote for stock setup concerning eyelets / speedhooks, i.e. 4x5.

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
Thank you! Let's see if there are more guys interested in that GMTO. Last year, there was a Skye in tan scotch grain proposed which did not get the necessary number of participants. It is still in the spreadsheet. What is the minimum number of participants for the Islay GMTO? I think six was only valid for shell GMTOs?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads