• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Preppy Style has been taken away from the Preps

TheHoboPrep

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Which course is it you're planning to do at Cambridge?

Back on topic, without a definition of what you're talking about there's no way anyone from outside your little club can contribute
It is not about a Club and Membership of that Club. Prep is something that can be recognized without Being A Prep, and No Prep Would Prohibit A Non Prep From Speaking About What Prep Is, or Otherwise Contributing To It's Definition. In fact, use of the word prep, in general terms, may well have been started and the term refined by non preps from the very outset. For Preps Do Not Define the Term, as they are prep by reason of their existence and lifestyle.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What do you think of this Fez?

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is not about a Club and Membership of that Club. Prep is something that can be recognized without Being A Prep, and No Prep Would Prohibit A Non Prep From Speaking About What Prep Is, or Otherwise Contributing To It's Definition. In fact, use of the word prep, in general terms, may well have been started and the term refined by non preps from the very outset. For Preps Do Not Define the Term, as they are prep by reason of their existence and lifestyle.

I don't understand. Is this a cult?

TheHoboPrep

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thank you for bringing my attention to these items, which have nothing at all to do with the topic. It is evident that, at least for some people, Whether By Reason Of Material Impoverishment During Their Infant Years, or some Other Mal-Occurence In Their Early Life, or the feeling that They Were Left Out Of Prep By Reason They Did Not Attend A Prep, or Otherwise Had Their Noses Pressed Against The Glass Looking In, that this discussion has become too much for them to witness on The Internet, and so For This Reason They WIll Thereby Attempt To Lessen It's Presence, Through Dimwittery and SEO Like Magick.

As for prep, it is obvious that anyone can commentate upon it, For It Is Not Only For Preps To Speak About, and from its earliest beginnings, Was Defined and Recognized From Near Distance By Those Who Were Not Prep.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
At prep school, the only thing we ever talked about were girls, as there were rarely any around.

We certainly Never Talked about our Social Status or our Subculture. Those that did Talk About their Wealth or Family Names were often looked Down Upon as being Gauche or possibly Nouveau Riche. Basically, We were teenage Boys who played Lacrosse and occasionally had Outdated and Obsolete Lessons in Proper Bearing and Mannerisms.

Like any subculture, "prep" is probably mostly about family and friends with a heavy emphasis of socialization. Style had nothing to do with it. What you see here is a bemused apathy from an audience of people who don't care where they or you went to school.

If you are a troll or sock, you're a fun one so we are playing along.

steveabdn

Reaction score

Thank you for bringing my attention to these items, which have nothing at all to do with the topic. It is evident that, at least for some people, Whether By Reason Of Material Impoverishment During Their Infant Years, or some Other Mal-Occurence In Their Early Life, or the feeling that They Were Left Out Of Prep By Reason They Did Not Attend A Prep, or Otherwise Had Their Noses Pressed Against The Glass Looking In, that this discussion has become too much for them to witness on The Internet, and so For This Reason They WIll Thereby Attempt To Lessen It's Presence, Through Dimwittery and SEO Like Magick.

As for prep, it is obvious that anyone can commentate upon it, For It Is Not Only For Preps To Speak About, and from its earliest beginnings, Was Defined and Recognized From Near Distance By Those Who Were Not Prep.
I went to the worst school in my city in one of its poorest areas, far from being jealous of others and their educations this gave me a drive to succeed. I left school at 15 to work in a shipyard and now 17 years later I'm entering the most exciting year of my working life.

I want my children to go to a good school, the fact you seem to think that you are different because you went to a better school speaks volumes about you.

I'm interested in what it is that you're so keen on protecting but you're really poor at defining it. At this point you may as well be speaking about scientology.

Are you a hobo by choice? How do people who are forced into that lifestyle feel about you stealing their style??

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he's a hobo who admires preps. (whatever they are)

wait! he is an unemployed Ralph lauren model.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I think SF identifies far more with the tendencies of the UHB. Especially when it comes to nit-picking details important to the .01% of the wealthy (and of that .01%, 0% being actual SF members), "preppy" is too youthful a movement. Instead, the politics of black tie, the etiquette of lapel structure, or dissertations on how the combination of red, yellow and black marks one a farmer, are far more front-and-center here. Again, all very real concerns of the UHB.

I'd suggest you take your gripes to Tumblr. If going off of usernames and blog titles, Tumblr is the last bastion of Prep-dom. A place where Preps (proper) of all ages and socioeconomic backgrounds (just kidding, everyone is rich on Tumblr) can come together to mourn the fall of their "lifestyle." One might think it odd that so many people should identify with, and actively perpetuate, a dead culture, but I suppose everyone has their Graceland.

Either way, Tumblr is where you will find soldiers to fight your war on the infidels. However, I suggest stopping by the #menswear tag to get some camouflage pants before the war begins: Pastels don't make for superior wartime garments.

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
essentially, the o.p is complaining that people supposedly less wealthy than him dressing in an almost identically bland or disgusting fashion. don't worry, there are enough cable knit sweaters and bowties to go around.

and what did he expect to find here??? wealthy types who will declare "it is OUR RIGHT to dress this bad, not yours?". I'm lost. a good percentage of members here either come from money, or are self made men. who's children will come from money. and a few have excellent taste too.

so being pissed that hipsters have bastardized his beloved subculture more than Ralph Lauren is not going to change that he can at last be accepted by the masses.now he can play lacrosse with these guys:

tongue.gif

i also attended a school where education was bought by parents. and have never embraced the culture. my children will get an education learned, not an education bought.
edit: if my kids EVER come home dressed like they work for R.L or A&F, i will donate ALL their stuff to goodwill. then see their stuff worn better in a thrift fit by someone with style.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sure.

Prep is associated with prep schools (boarding schools such as PAA, PAE, Choate, Hotchkiss, Brown, and Others Elsewhere in this Small World In Which We Live) and to some extent was derived from the uniforms that prep students had to wear.

Ivy is associated with prep, but is not prep. In fact, I think that Ivy, is not the same as Prep, For Many A Prep Never Went To An Ivy, instead Going Into Business In A Wall Streety Firm, a Workshop As A Craftsman-Apprentice, A Merchant-Apprentice or To A Tech like RPI or MIT.

Trad is a means by which the established gentlemen of any profession, whether it be Law, Medicine, Investment Banking, Being a Merchant of Goods, Or Being a Doctor of Animals, would wear clothing, and Display Good Manners and Uniformity Without Being a Popinjay.

Popinjay? I never acutally heard the term used by anyone in contemporary speech.
Do you carry a walking stick and wear a homburg too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popinjay

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member