• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PPR Buys Brioni

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is sad news for a great brand with a family history. It is a sign of the times, much like the resignation of Berlusconi.
But it could be good for business. Brioni was saddled with debt and could have had problems with production and quality. They made my MTM suit pants much too wide this summer.
I think this could be an improvement for the brand. It would be a mistake for PPR to ignore the fact that quality is the most important aspect of Brioni. Based on PPR's past success, I doubt they will make that mistake.
I am suspicious of the forecast to triple production. Demand just isn't there.

I'm sure there's demand for the name though. Although it could mean things like 'Emporio Brioni' or similar. This is probably what PPR will try and maximise on.

Last edited:

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The might keep the essence, but I wonder if they'll keep the quality? I'm sure many of Gucci's and YSL's products come from China these days. Presumably done by PPR to maximise profits from these famous lux brands.

This is stupid and wrong. Their products are made in Europe and primarily Italy (with occasional specialty pieces made in Central/South America)... I know that for a fact.

Last edited:

max b

Reaction score
Brioni has the main factory in Penne (Italy) and many others in north/mid Italy. Don't think PPR bought all the group in order to destroy all this knowledge and skill. I can tell also big part of the financial problems are not coming from the regular administration of the Company, but from "extra" factors. The Company is profitable and is making high quality products. As Italian I'm proud to have a Company like Brioni still involving a lot of jobs in our Country and producing 100% in Italy. Now the "head" will be in France, but I strongly hope the "soul" will stay here in Italy. I'm a big fan of Brioni.

buzzron

Reaction score
that's is quite sad, to see established brands take a downturn, my father's has been a longtime fan of the Brioni brand.

GasparddeColigny

Reaction score

This is sad news for a great brand with a family history. It is a sign of the times, much like the resignation of Berlusconi.

Apologies for going OT, but surely no one is lamenting the departure of the mofiosi that is Berlusconi.

OT
acquisitions like these are often bad news for a brand's distinctiveness. On the other hand, with a 90 Mil. debt, it was not going to last long. Sad day, as variety is the spice of life.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've only one or two Brioni items left, having had to sell most of it due to weight loss a while ago. It would be sad to think that such beautiful items will not be made in the future. However, I don't think it's time to hit the panic button. I suspect the new owners are all-too aware of the value of the Brioni brand. Sure, they'll want to leverage it, but we'll have to see whether they do so destructively or merely through diffusion. Chin up, it may not be that bad.

Pawz

Reaction score
brioni exchance and emporio brioni is the last thing i want to see

You'll get those in addition to Brioni Prive. It'll be made with the same diligence as present-day Brioni save you would pay a $2000 mark-up for the label.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a famous lux name.

I'm sure we're going to be seeing many more non-clothing Brioni branded products now. Quite possibly PPR will be wanting to be selling to the Chinese Alpha Males as well with various garments and accessories that have prominent 'Brioni' branding on them.

Same for Gucci and YSL. Same with so many LVMH brands.

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is this whole Chinese alpha male bullcrap?

Little guys like Hermes Man calling himself alpha male does not make sense - particularly when 95% of all men could kick the bollocks out of him in a 1/1 fight. Scenario does not sound alpha male to me. Heck I reckon the average chick could slap him around and find little resistance to her punishing blows.

Or have I missed the meaning of alpha male :confused:

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is this whole Chinese alpha male bullcrap?
Little guys like Hermes Man calling himself alpha male does not make sense - particularly when 95% of all men could kick the bollocks out of him in a 1/1 fight. Scenario does not sound alpha male to me. Heck I reckon the average chick could slap him around and find little resistance to her punishing blows.
Or have I missed the meaning of alpha male :confused:

Oh Chinese alpha males definitely do exist, HermesMan was rather an extreme example. His antics seemed like a joke, but I'm sure he was rather serious about it. The ones I've seen here, it's all about brand whoring, and that's pretty much it.

Many Chinese just love to show off western designer lux brands. The rich have the real stuff and the poor settle for counterfeits and knock-offs. It's the rich Chinese especially of Beijing and Shanghai that I'm sure PPR will be aiming Brioni branded stuff at, just as they've done with Gucci and YSL, and LVMH do with their brands like LV, Bulgari, Dior, Fendi and Donna Karan.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/07/business/la-fi-china-man-purse-20110207
"In China, alpha males carry designer purses"

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads