• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

btodoroff

Reaction score
If you like the simple style titanium, I've got one of these from Skagen I love for weekend wear. Very thin and light. Also comes in other color combos. Good quartz movement.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Put a blue croc strap on my blue spark. Watchmakers kept telling me to just buy a new watch when I called asking for a quote to service it since it was running fast (20 min per hour). Finally got it fixed and I'm loving it. Holds a lot of sentimental value for me since my wife bought it for me when she visited Japan. That's probably why I was willing to install a strap that cost almost as much as the watch itself!

I am sorry but who in their right mind would tell you to just buy a new watch instead of servicing a Blue Spark? First of all, the watch can't be more than 4 years old. In other words, a modern movement with parts that shouldn't be hard to find. Second, it's a classic modern Seiko watch if there ever was one. I would have done the same as you.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like this watch. Is there anything special about the Japanese Market Seiko 5?

Japanese market watches are typically made in Japan.

Many of the non Japanese domestic market watches (even the same models) tend to be made in Malaysia or Thailand. So, some Seiko 5 watches are Japan made, others are not.
All things being equal, I prefer made in Japan to made in Malaysia

Many of the interesting Seiko models are only available in the Japanese market. (for example most of the high-end Seikos are not exported)

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score

I like this watch. Is there anything special about the Japanese Market Seiko 5?

I have the J model as well. There's no extra quality in it over a K model (outside Japan designation). That's pretty much just a myth. On mine it says MADE IN JAPAN on tiny print on the dial and the alternate language is Arabic.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I like the Seiko 5 shown above your post much better. It's good to 100m, an auto not a quartz which I think makes it more interesting, it has a better dial IMO and it's cheaper.

Yes, you are correct the Seiko 5 does have a very nice look but it seems to have a lower build quality - for example it does not use a sapphire crystal which is a must for me as I often work with my hands and have two small kids that I play with daily. I have a low, almost zero tolerance for scratches.

The Citizen watch strap also looks comfortable and I love quartz watches with Eco drive for casual watches.

Btodoroff,

Thank you for the suggestion.

Yes, a nice watch but not the look that works for me as a sports/casual work watch.

The Skagen is a bit more sophisticated than I need.

Has anyone actually bought the watch?

kentyman

Reaction score

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, you are correct the Seiko 5 does have a very nice look but it seems to have a lower build quality - for example it does not use a sapphire crystal which is a must for me as I often work with my hands and have two small kids that I play with daily. I have a low, almost zero tolerance for scratches.
The Citizen watch strap also looks comfortable and I love quartz watches with Eco drive for casual watches.

Well $200 is almost in used Hamilton range. The Khaki has a similar look and can be found for $300ish used with a bracelet or strap. Certainly don't get hung up on the strap, they are easily replaced.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6317550&rid=0

Khaki Quartz under $200 used
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6302958&rid=0

Last edited:

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well $200 is almost in used Hamilton range. The Khaki has a similar look and can be found for $300ish used with a bracelet or strap. Certainly don't get hung up on the strap, they are easily replaced.
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6317550&rid=0
Khaki Quartz under $200 used
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6302958&rid=0

Thank you for the suggestion - I like the dial with the narrow hands http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-H68411533-Khaki-Field-Black/dp/B000AONZK8

But I really like Citizen Eco Drive watches - the golf model is relatively new which is why I was asking for reviews

bamahabir

Reaction score
Hey Sam I don't have a Golf Eco Drive but I do have a similar variant. It is a nice looking watch but beware about a titanium case. It scratches very easily and it is noticeable especially in the polished areas. Aside from that I've had mine for over a year, I've dropped it, banged it against things, its gotten soaked and its still ticking just fine. Also there is no scratches on the face so sapphire is pretty kickass.

Last edited:

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey Sam I don't have a Golf Eco Drive but I do have a similar variant. It is a nice looking watch but beware about a titanium case. It scratches very easily and it is noticeable especially in the polished areas. Aside from that I've had mine for over a year, I've dropped it, banged it against things, its gotten soaked and its still ticking just fine.  Also there is no scratches on the face so sapphire is pretty kickass.

Thank you for the information.

I like the weight/look of titanium watches and I have a Citizen Eco drive that I bought more than 12 years ago in Tokyo which is still going strong. Although the clasp needs replacing and I can't find a source for a new one yet...

I love the strength, accuracy and that it does not need anything to keep working.

I wonder if after 15 years or so it may need a new internal battery.

bamahabir

Reaction score
Check out watchuseek and ask around where you might find a new bracelet. The community there is in a category of their own.

While I share your sentiments about titanium watches, can't help but want an auto for my next one.

Either way its pretty awesome that your old Eco still works! I'm not really sure how long the solar cells are supposed to last 10 - 20 years maybe?

What is your budget for the new watch?

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Check out watchuseek and ask around where you might find a new bracelet. The community there is in a category of their own.

While I share your sentiments about titanium watches, can't help but want an auto for my next one.

Either way its pretty awesome that your old Eco still works! I'm not really sure how long the solar cells are supposed to last 10 - 20 years maybe?

What is your budget for the new watch?

There is no special budget as I am only looking at the Citizen Golf watch I haven't seen any similar watches anywhere.

I will take a look at watchuseek.

If my Citizen Ecodrive stopped working in anything less than 20 years I would be quite disappointed. Although a new battery after 15 years is reasonable...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads