• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(PICS ADDED) Big Alteration Mistake - Need Real Advice

johnnyhooks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Give it away. You'd be punishing whoever you sold it to.

ah man thats terrible. YOu dont think it can be salvaged by bringing in shoulders and tightening up arm holes?

emptym

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone who's responded to you has looked at the pictures--some because they posted before the pics and some because they can't see them. The side view looks OK. The front one reveals almost nothing, since your arms are up. Take a front view pic w/ your arms down and post it in your original post.

Edit: After looking at your new pics, I'd say that the front looks OK, but from the sides and back, you can see that the waist has been taken in too much. I'd see if it can be let out a little. If it can be, I'd keep the jacket until I had the money to get one custom made.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivystyle
yeah..that does look skirty... advice is to sell it and get a bespoke from your friend.

this. Bespoke sportcoats are a lot more reasonable (can be) than i thought.

johnnyhooks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
I don't know if anyone who's responded to you has looked at the pictures--some because they posted before the pics and some because they can't see them. The side view looks OK. The front one reveals almost nothing, since your arms are up. Take a front view pic w/ your arms down and post it in your original post.

Ok I will take a picture today and post it. The reason I put my arms up was to show the depth and size of the arm holes and how they affect how the jacket moves with my arms.

While I may be getting a little OCD over this, I am trying to rationalize this as follows. I am $260 in the hole for a super-awkward 44 sports jacket. If I go for 150 and have the shoulders brought in and armholes reduced and I still dont like it, at least I can try to sell it as a custom 42 that will fit better than the mess it is now.
nest.gif

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you wont get anymore money out of it if you sell it after the alterations

in fact youd be lucky to get $50

rossyl

Reaction score
Although your original post states that you've saved a lot of money having read up on this forum, I hope this is one of the occassions when you use your own head in order to make a decision.

Firstly, I'm not very knowledgable at all, so ignore what i say if you so want.

The arms outstretched image it's hard to gather what the jacket fits like. But it looks fine.

The side view - I don't think it's too skirty. The quality of the photo is rubbish. Also it could be that you just have a decent sized behind, so the jacket is sitting on it. It doesn't look bad.

If I were you I would stock panicking, don't make any rash deicisons, and just leave it for a while. Try it on in a few days and see how you feel. It may not be perfect, but it's no where near the "big mistake" that you panic about.

Ultimately, I would keep it, I doubt the majority of people would even know what you are worried about. Also what would be the point throwing it away. $210 is money, and a decent amount - I think some people are losing perspective. Or maybe they donate $1k a day to charity and spend $210 a day on lunch?
devil.gif

rossyl

Reaction score

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

butterflystyle

Reaction score
Lose weight. This is mostly a body issue, not a tailoring issue. How can it NOT look skirty when he has to deal with that boiler?

johnnyhooks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by butterflystyle
Lose weight. This is mostly a body issue, not a tailoring issue. How can it NOT look skirty when he has to deal with that boiler?

Oh man, I am in pain laughing over here. While you make a point, the first tailor brought the waist in too much in the lower back. I should take a picture of another suit that fits me perfect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads