1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Paypal Disputes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by whnay., Oct 25, 2006.

1. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

I fit into one of the "exceptions" to the Paypal always siding with the buyer rule.

I bought a pair of Asics sneakers on Ebay. They never arrived. The seller had a confirmation that the package had been delivered. I photocopied and submitted the sign-in sheet for all packages into the building showing the package had NOT been delivered. Nevertheless Paypal sided with the seller, becasue she had confirmation that the package was delivered.

This story, however, does have a happy ending. The package randomly showed up FIVE months later. I'm not kidding. Showed up postmarked from five months earlier. I have no idea what had happened to it in the interim. Crazy.

Hah. Maybe those shoes I won in an auction two years ago and disappeared when they crossed the border will one day appear!

At any rate, I've only used PayPal dispute mechanism twice and am .500 on it. First time I was screwed, second time I won justifiably.

2. poly800rock

poly800rock Well-Known Member

i agree how paypal has NO SUPPORT/PROTECTION for honest sellers. Any jackass can just say to their credit card company that they didn't get it or they didn't order it and get their money and item. I got frauded twice last year, and will only send to verifed addresses that have seller protection.[​IMG]

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

but not only claiming non receipt, but is it not that hard to claim that someone used your credit card illegally?

if you are malicious enough, can you with some effort successfully claim that someone stole your card number and made a purchase?

i always wondered about that , as we give our cc numbers, exp dates, social security numbers and birthdates to almost everyone, not would be surprised if anyone of these people take that info and use it to their maliciousness.

or just someone plain out just claim they have it stolen when they actually made the purchase.

what sort of restrictions or protections are out there to prevent this stuff? any body with any legal experience here?

4. RicoItaliano

RicoItaliano Well-Known Member

Sometimes I don't know wtf is up with the Post Office. Usually they are pretty reliable. I've had packages from 1500 miles away arrive in two days, but once I had a letter which was sent from about 12 miles away take 2 weeks to arrive.

I feel the USPS stinks in most regards, service is lack luster, when I want it there it goes UPS. UPS is not without problems however, in my experience USPS has messed up more shipments than UPS. Visiting some post offices is like going to the DMV.

One example I recall was when attempting to use the USPS online to print postage, I prepped a package for shipment and went online to buy the postage and print. I later found out I was charged 4 times for 1 shipment on my card. Finding contact information for people who don't wish to be bothered by their customers was impossible. I called the 800# and they could care less referring me back to the website that burnt me to begin with. Spoke to my local post master and got my money back. Never again. Bad Service. [​IMG]

5. RicoItaliano

i agree how paypal has NO SUPPORT/PROTECTION for honest sellers. Any jackass can just say to their credit card company that they didn't get it or they didn't order it and get their money and item. I got frauded twice last year, and will only send to verifed addresses that have seller protection.[​IMG]

PayPal blows.

False claims of seller protection. All I can say is when dealing with PayPal purchase KY in larger quantity.

Biased, YES.

6. sho'nuff

i hate you paypal, i hate you , I HATE YOU .. I hate YOU paypal ..stinko

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I feel the USPS stinks in most regards, service is lack luster, when I want it there it goes UPS. UPS is not without problems however, in my experience USPS has messed up more shipments than UPS. Visiting some post offices is like going to the DMV.

I've had the opposite experience. UPS has repeatedly proven as unhelpful as possible, and if I had my way, I'd never do business with them again.

8. sho'nuff

what can brown do for you? ... crap

9. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

i'm getting the impression you don't like paypal. [​IMG]

10. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

i'm getting the impression you don't like paypal. [​IMG]

Well, he did say "stinko." \t[​IMG]

11. bachbeet

bachbeet Well-Known Member

I don't mess with paypal and get faster and better service from my credit card company.

12. tricket

tricket Well-Known Member

I had a similar nightmare in June this year. I purchased a pair of shoes. They were never delivered. I filed a complaint via Paypal. The seller then unregistered himself as a ebay member. Paypal says they cannot proceed further. What can I do? Should I call my credit card company? It seems it's already too late to do this. [​IMG]

13. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

To those members that used your credit card company. In the case of a fake item how did you proceed?

14. RicoItaliano

[​IMG]

15. RicoItaliano

I've had the opposite experience. UPS has repeatedly proven as unhelpful as possible, and if I had my way, I'd never do business with them again.
    Well as with any shipper problems will occur. I can say that 95% of my shipments ship without issue with UPS. We just cant trust USPS as we have had problems before and all we got was go to the website, quality customer service? FedEx seems to have the best rates for Ground but why fix something when its not broken. Additionally FedEx online services were similar to USPS online, we start an account and were charged 3 times even though no shipment was made, it appears it was a test charge. Maybe they should test charge say $50K once. UPS tracking is far better than USPS, you contact them to check a shipment location and they say the old "Since 9-11" routine, dosent seem to effect UPS, FedEx or Airborne, hmm.

16. RicoItaliano

To those members that used your credit card company. In the case of a fake item how did you proceed?

Boy, I am not sure much. I have used my CC company for a chargeback for merchandise not received after providing proofs and the sellers failure to show proof of delivery. But I am not so sure the CC company will engage a chargeback for this claim.

I would say at least they would request you to return shipment with proof of delivery then they would be able to process the claim.

17. RicoItaliano

I had a similar nightmare in June this year. I purchased a pair of shoes. They were never delivered. I filed a complaint via Paypal. The seller then unregistered himself as a ebay member. Paypal says they cannot proceed further. What can I do? Should I call my credit card company? It seems it's already too late to do this. [​IMG]

I would call the CC company, let them tell you if it is too late or not. No fan of PayPal here, they will cave in fast for both buyer and seller, they have no teeth. The protection policies are hype and when you read line for line it offers nothing but loopholes for PayPal to crap out.

As for as the Merchant Charge Back the merchant company will require the seller to show proof of delivery, without that the temporary hold on the funds will become permanent. Be prepared to go around 3 or 4 times.

18. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

In about 1200 shipments so far, I've had three experiences with the post taking a crazy long time. Two were domestic, the third to Switzerland.

Once I had to refund the seller's money because my ghetto PO had not scanned the package, therefore I could not prove I shipped it. But because the buyer and I dealt with each other civilly, and because he was an honest person, when the thing finally got from NY to CA one month after shipping (!!!), he re-refunded my money. So, on one hand, we never went to the paypal tribunal, but on the other hand they got their cut 3x.

The Swiss guy got his money back via the tribunal, which was cumbersome...after he initiated the process, the item arrived, but like troop trains to the front in WWI it could not be stopped. Reversing the decision took a while, but we did it.

19. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

I probably would cause a stir but it was a $900 purchase.
    Yup, that allays the comment I was about to post. Only time I have filed one was with a seller who just plain didnt send it to me. PP awarded in my favor. Except this was only a $40-odd purchase, of which they were able to recover $32, less the $25 Paypal fee, then its barely worth the hassle. I did it anyhow just cos I didnt want that fraudulent prick having my money, so handing most of it over to PP was the lesser of two evils.

20. bachbeet

bachbeet Well-Known Member

whnay: I don't know about your CC company but mine will chargeback items which are not as promised. You will probably have to return the item though. Which is probably not a problem for you. [​IMG]