• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pauper wants to buy used full bespoke suits online

Kru Chris

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm in the market for a genuine full bespoke suit. All hand-made with a price tag of about $ 5,500 when new. But it's confusing, with lots of folks peddling suits.

Polyester?
baldy[1].gif

There is one Ebay UK seller who claims all kinds of OTR brands are "hand stitched". DAKS?!? I have jackets from them and no way do they pay someone 100 hours per jacket...
fing02[1].gif

Regarding Gieves & Hawkes, I'm confused as to why some jackets are that cheap? Oh dear me, seems I might have fallen into some phony "MTM" trap instead of getting genuine bespoke.

Got the real thing from Oxxford though, floating canvas and all. (Haven't received those suits yet).

Before you lambast me, I'm making less than $ 1,000 in Vietnam.
musicboohoo[1].gif
Worrying about dry cleaners will come later. In Thailand, many businesses just lie and rake in the extra money.

Closing, I'm hoping for the names of some reputable Ebay sellers of high end clothes in the UK, Germany and the U.S.

Thanks for reading,

Chris

jedwards

Reaction score
I'm confused by your thread.

I think you're going about it the wrong way and with the wrong mindset.

If you live in Vietnam, you would be far better advised to research amongst the local expat community who is an honest tailor you can build a good relationship with and take it from there. Or Google "tailor to the Vietnam Prime Minister" or similar. Not that that's a guarantee, but still.

If needs be, you order British or Italian cloth online and get him to work with it.

Any other approach is just wasting your own time and setting yourself up for disappointment.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what you're trying to ask but I think your confusing brands that make bespoke that also make rtw with each other, like G&H.
Firstly a suit is only really bespoke if it was made for you, otherwise it's just a second hand suit made for someone else and usually with weird proportions unless you happen to be the same size as the original bespeaker was (not likely).

Secondly many Savile Row firms now produce RTW suits made with their label like G&H, Kilgour, Richard James etc. These are all to my knowledge made off the row and generally in China (not that there is anything wrong with that) and shouldn't be confused with their "bespoke" offerings.

EBay is generally not the first place I'd be looking for a new suit in any case. Canvassed suits are also in no way a mark of bespoke, many OTR brands produce full canvas suits.

Does that help?

mackguy

Reaction score
I'm a little baffled as well, as to me the whole point of a bespoke suit is that it's bespoke... just the way you wanted, to fit you.

However grasping at a straw for knowledge, perhaps one assumes that a bespoke suit is made of better stuff than a quality OTR.

Perhaps because they don't conform to a basic standard size they can be bought a significant discount to an OTR.

If one has a good and trustworthy local tailor, and the bespoke suit has adequate accommodation for modifications you could end up with what amounts to a tailored OTR suit made of superlative materials.

Kru Chris

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what you're trying to ask but I think your confusing brands that make bespoke that also make rtw with each other, like G&H.
Firstly a suit is only really bespoke if it was made for you, otherwise it's just a second hand suit made for someone else and usually with weird proportions unless you happen to be the same size as the original bespeaker was (not likely).

Secondly many Savile Row firms now produce RTW suits made with their label like G&H, Kilgour, Richard James etc. These are all to my knowledge made off the row and generally in China (not that there is anything wrong with that) and shouldn't be confused with their "bespoke" offerings.

EBay is generally not the first place I'd be looking for a new suit in any case. Canvassed suits are also in no way a mark of bespoke, many OTR brands produce full canvas suits.

Does that help?
It sure does! Much appreciated!

My bad, of course this would be some suit made for someone else with a different body shape.

Q: which genuine Savile Row houses do not offer MTM suits? This might help me narrow it down...

My how has been to enjoy a proper "shoulder" and the quality which is simply not available in a RTW / OTR jacket.

Kru Chris

Reaction score

Kru Chris

Reaction score
The first time I ever had something MTM was while on holiday in Thailand. With one exception it was indescribably awful material - polyester being sold as "Thai silk". A total waste of money. I wouldn't want a truck load of such new garments if you paid me less than it costs to have them incinerated or composted.

Then I found some better tailor in Bangkok. Just a store front, with the work being done in a sweat shop. They talk the talk all right. But try finding one sewing machine on the premises
bigstar[1].gif

Egyptian cotton and cashmere woven into some cloth, err, most cloths. But hey, at these prices of $ 150 for a jacket, do you believe the cloth will have 0.01% cashmere? Thought so.
decisions.gif

But then I discovered Ebay. There one can get the real Mc Coy. Good cloth from Dormeuil, Scabal, Loro Piana for like $ 20 shipped. Way superior to anything the second house might offer. Likewise for shirts. As for trousers, as someone who hates going to shops, this might be something I might use in future. W 33 might be W 31 etc.

Am glad you all can afford expensive stuff.

Back to my hole,

Chris

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads