• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxtails

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So trying my hand at oxtails tonight. Took some foie grease from yesterday (
smile.gif
) and browned them off with S&P, remove from pain. Then caramelized two onions, tossed in a couple carrots to get sweated, a few tblsp flour. Then a cup Pinot and a cup of beef stock stirred in. Tossed in some garlic, a few cloves, a little bouquet garnie. I plan to simmer for 3 hours, plate tails, strain the pan juices and spoon over tails. Have a cabbage dish my wife is doing, involves a quick pan fry with bacon.

So, what wine? I'm thinking a Cab Sav.

Anyone cook something similar? Not sure how this will all turn out, but think I came up with a solid recipe and method.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
with lamb, oxtails, mutton, etc., i always have a malbec.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
There are better uses for your foie grease. Instead of mounting butter in a sauce, use foie fat. Or make a beurre blanc with foie fat. But the taste of the foie will surely be lost long before your oxtails are even close to being done cooking.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
There are better uses for your foie grease. Instead of mounting butter in a sauce, use foie fat. Or make a beurre blanc with foie fat. But the taste of the foie will surely be lost long before your oxtails are even close to being done cooking.
Don't confuse my little kitchen with a real place of cookery though! If I don't use something fast, it'll go rancid, as I might decide to eat out four days straight or something. I'll post a pic later, but they turned out incredible. The sauce was so rich, so hearty. I was saying to Mrs. Piob, I'd almost do that whole thing over just to get the sauce to use for something else.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'd let you cook Oxtails for me. But I'm not leaving NYC for at least the next 5 months. A shame.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
What are you all paying per pound for your oxtails?

Paid about $1.00/lbs.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Don't confuse my little kitchen with a real place of cookery though! If I don't use something fast, it'll go rancid, as I might decide to eat out four days straight or something.

I'll post a pic later, but they turned out incredible. The sauce was so rich, so hearty. I was saying to Mrs. Piob, I'd almost do that whole thing over just to get the sauce to use for something else.

Lol dude, gimme a break. You bought a foodsaver and use it for your lobes of foie. Although I know the feeling. I cook at home one day a week. So I basically have to buy all new groceries for everything each Monday.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is something wonderful about fried cabbage and pork fat. Proper eastern European peasant food -- perfect once a month, but would probably such every day.

~ H

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
There is something wonderful about fried cabbage and pork fat. Proper eastern European peasant food -- perfect once a month, but would probably such every day. ~ H
I think this was a peasant recipe from a little further East...like The Good Earth type East.
wink.gif
Amazing though, how peasant recipes often resemble each other, isn't it? And you're correct, once a month tops on the fried cabbage!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxtail? Cabbage? If it wasn't for your foie grease, people would've think you a peasant.

Anyway, why don't you make yourself useful and post some pics from your newly acquired camera?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I think this was a peasant recipe from a little further East...like The Good Earth type East.
wink.gif
Amazing though, how peasant recipes often resemble each other, isn't it? And you're correct, once a month tops on the fried cabbage!

Oh, right, gotcha. With oxtails I figured eastern european rather than the Big East. Pig and cabbage for the proles the world over -- even cabbage for Winston Smith. My grandmother fried cabbage in fatback grease, then mixed it with noodles (handmade, naturally). Good stuff. ~ H

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Oxtail? Cabbage? If it wasn't for your foie grease, people would've think you a peasant.

Anyway, why don't you make yourself useful and post some pics from your newly acquired camera?

I'll d/l the camera tomorrow. I took a couple pics, not sure if any are good.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beeeeeeees